Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED “It should be noted many major record labels have deprioritized signing Rappers”. - Ebro

test
legacy acts make way for the youngins. You prolly wont listen to the new artists and whatever the form of hip hop they create is but the kids will be calling that shit is classic.

You soundin like an old nigga
oh-snap.gif

legacy acts make way for the youngins. You prolly wont listen to the new artists and whatever the form of hip hop they create is but the kids will be calling that shit is classic.

My point is there’s no youngins that’s going to emerge to save Hiphop from being phased out

It’s gonna go to internet underground and the new sound (whatever it is) that comes from Hiphop will be the new sound

TI gonna be melle mel to kids in 5 years

My point is there’s no youngins that’s going to emerge to save Hiphop from being phased out

It’s gonna go to internet underground and the new sound (whatever it is) that comes from Hiphop will be the new sound

TI gonna be melle mel to kids in 5 years

and you think hip hop will just cease to exist? Or will it just take another form like it's always done?

"Golden Age", Conscious, Gangsta, Shiny Suit, Crunk, Snap, Trap, Mumble etc.

shit just gonna keep evolving(or devolving depending on how you see it) but it will still be hip hop

and you think hip hop will just cease to exist? Or will it just take another form like it's always done?

"Golden Age", Conscious, Gangsta, Shiny Suit, Crunk, Snap, Trap, Mumble etc.

shit just gonna keep evolving but it will still be hip hop
Tell me another time in Hiphop where the talent level was this low and the gatekeeping was nonexistent?

Tell me another time in Hiphop where this many people opted into listening to artists who debuted 10 years prior over the current group of acts?

It’ll evolve to the point where it’s not Hiphop but still has Hiphop “roots”

Tell me another time in Hiphop where the talent level was this low and the gatekeeping was nonexistent?

Tell me another time in Hiphop where this many people opted into listening to artists who debuted 10 years prior over the current group of acts?

It’ll evolve to the point where it’s not Hiphop but still has Hiphop “roots”

And thats how it goes for every generation.

I wasnt bumping KRS or alot of the people from his era like that. I knew of them and were familiar with their contributions but that shit wasnt my go to.

Same could be said about the next generation.. and the one after that... and the one after that. Theres always gonna be folks that rather listen to the shit they came up on and with instead of the new shit.

Im sure the cats that preceded us were saying the same shit you saying now .. "nah this shit aint hip hop. REAL hip hop did X,Y,Z!"

And thats how it goes for every generation.

I wasnt bumping KRS or alot of the people from his era like that. I knew of them and were familiar with their contributions but that shit wasnt my go to.

Same could be said about the next generation.. and the one after that... and the one after that. Theres always gonna be folks that rather listen to the shit they came up on and with instead of the new shit.

Im sure the cats that preceded us were saying the same shit you saying now .. "nah this shit aint hip hop. REAL hip hop did X,Y,Z!"
Lol okay man

If you wanna say I’m acting like an old man complaining about the new generation that’s cool

You’ll see soon how much this changes in the next few years

Lol imagine this convo in 2011.

"Nobody care about that high pitched Section 80 nigga, fuck outta here."

Just admit you don't like the youngins because they paint their fangernails or whatever

The fact that you brought up Jay, who hasn't rapped in five goddamn years, is telling. That's like a old head asking "What will hip-hop do without Kane?" in 1997.

I once read a rec.music.hip-hop post from 1995 where the guy complains about Big Poppa getting too much radio airplay and says Biggie ISN'T REAL HIP-HOP.

Same shit, different day.

The cycle continues.....

The standards for hip-hop production are easily like 10x what they used to be. Lofi plug-ins have made it very easy to create "sample beats" without samples. Every new rapper is expected to have triple time flow abilities that only a handful of niggas like Bone could do in the 90s. If you can't appreciate all that growth, perhaps you yourself have outgrown the genre's younger artists. Which is okay, BTW. One of my favorite albums last year was Sam Cooke live at the Harlem Square Club in Miami. Incredible record.

Rap has become one of those genres like Metal where there are 5,000 completely different subgenres with different fans for each one. End of the day tho, niggas who were left for dead by Amerikkka will keep spittin over 808s and drumbreaks.

@Sony Montana is right

I been listening to hip-hop since I was a kid and I grew up in the 90s so I seen hip-hop change several times. The newer crop of rappers these days have an extremely LOW bar talent wise so much so that I dont recall there ever being a time in hip-hop its been this bad. Nobody stands out and everyone sounds the same.

Call it what you want but theres a reason why a lot of these hip-hop tours of these newer / younger artists are getting canceled left and right. Ice Spice got well over several million Youtube / Tik-Tok views and none of that is amounting to actual sales.

The argument "Every older hip-hop generation has said the same thing about the young / current generation" isn't the same here and simply saying "Well the kids love it" dont either. More so than ever hip-hop is being manufactured in a way where the art of rappin isn't a factor anymore.

I been listening to hip-hop since I was a kid and I grew up in the 90s so I seen hip-hop change several times. The newer crop of rappers these days have an extremely LOW bar talent wise so much so that I dont recall there ever being a time in hip-hop its been this bad. Nobody stands out and everyone sounds the same.

Call it what you want but theres a reason why a lot of these hip-hop tours of these newer / younger artists are getting canceled left and right. Ice Spice got well over several million Youtube / Tik-Tok views and none of that is amounting to actual sales.

The argument "Every older hip-hop generation has said the same thing about the young / current generation" isn't the same here and simply saying "Well the kids love it" dont either. More so than ever hip-hop is being manufactured in a way where the art of rappin isn't a factor anymore.
When the old niggas tried to gate keep the culture they were told that they were old and stop hating on them. The music sounds the same because it’s been established that if you want to get some shine then you have to sound like what’s hot.

Telling niggas Hiphop is dying and will either cease to exist or become something totally unrecognizable by 2030 is like trying to warn people about global warming 15 years ago lol

The Arrogance

This has nothing to do with me liking new rappers or not

When you went from 80s rappers you went to Nas, wu tang, outkast, pac, biggie, Jay, DMX, snoop, prodigy, Eminem etc

From there you went to Kanye, Jeezy, Nelly, TI, 50, Ja rule, cam, lil Jon, Lupe

From here you went to Big Sean, Kendrick, Drake, nicki, J Cole, Rick Ross, etc

From there you went to future, Tyler, griselda, Freddie Gibbs, lil baby, Migos, 21 savage

While still getting contributions from the biggest rap acts to add to the space in addition to the new acts

Now tell me the next group of artists after the ones I just mentioned?

Combine that with the shift in sound, diluted talent pool, to eventually the biggest rap artists, the Jays, nas’, kanye, drakes disappearing and what do you have?

Rappers you guys will hear from in the next few years they first album was a meek mill album lol

Pusha T is like Kool G rap to these new kids

I will say there’s a counter shift / another change happening in hip-hop simultaneously along with what Beta and I already mentioned.

Most ppl are just tired of the same recycled formulas in sound that’s been happening with these new niggas.

Hip-Hop and it’s audience now wanna be challenged. Albums like Mr. Morale, Igor, even Travis’s new shit are all these experimental non traditional takes at hip-hop. It’s why Kendrick has the highest grossing hip hop show of ALL TIME with the Big Steppers Tour. Folks wondering how Travis still putting on shows after the Astroworld chaos but not understanding his whole wave is like one big art piece.

Folks wanna see new creative dope shit. The Ice Spices and Durks and the struggle 2023 XXL freshmen class ain’t turning no heads

One thing I have observed that I find interesting:

The teens and young adults of the 90s that grew up listening to PAC, Big, Nas, Jay, Wu Tang, Outkast, etc also transitioned into the 2000s into their 30s and connected with newer acts like TI, 50 Cent, Jeezy, Game, Wayne and the Kanye’s of the world. A good number of them even latched onto Drake, Wale, Kendrick, Cole & that bunch when their time came around.

The problem with this current crop is not enough of them are standing out in a way that gets the Kanye and Wayne era of fans to latch on AT ALL. And then that following generation that were introduced through Drake & Kendrick aren’t buying into it to a significant extent.

Hip hop has always been a young man’s sport but the interest of the fans always managed to span at least two decades worth of music. Now with hip hop turning 50 this is really only the third or fourth go round but the movement is no where near as strong as the priors. I do personally blame the quality of music and lack of star power/personality from the acts.

I find this to be the first time that current acts (the post Kendrick, Drake, Cole acts) have completely lost the attention of that 30-35 yo crowd which is the crowd with the disposable income.

One thing I have observed that I find interesting:

The teens and young adults of the 90s that grew up listening to PAC, Big, Nas, Jay, Wu Tang, Outkast, etc also transitioned into the 2000s into their 30s and connected with newer acts like TI, 50 Cent, Jeezy, Game, Wayne and the Kanye’s of the world. A good number of them even latched onto Drake, Wale, Kendrick, Cole & that bunch when their time came around.

The problem with this current crop is not enough of them are standing out in a way that gets the Kanye and Wayne era of fans to latch on AT ALL. And then that following generation that were introduced through Drake & Kendrick aren’t buying into it to a significant extent.

Hip hop has always been a young man’s sport but the interest of the fans always managed to span at least two decades worth of music. Now with hip hop turning 50 this is really only the third or fourth go round but the movement is no where near as strong as the priors. I do personally blame the quality of music and lack of star power/personality from the acts.

I find this to be the first time that current acts (the post Kendrick, Drake, Cole acts) have completely lost the attention of that 30-35 yo crowd which is the crowd with the disposable income.
Great point

Hip hop needs to return underground and reinvent itself….this happens naturally with any genre that’s been overplayed

It’s almost 2024 and the sound is still stuck in 2015

The carrying hip hop shit is propaganda

Latto one of the biggest women acts and she does G Herbo numbers.
Pusha T sold more albums first week and had the number 1 album in the country with “It’s Almost Dry “and did better than Ice Spice ,Saweetie, Coi Leray, Latto,Fivio Foreign etc these current crop are trash 🚮

And Pusha T is a 90’s rapper putting up better numbers than these newer rappers. Hip Hop / Rap is in weird spot right now

Telling niggas Hiphop is dying and will either cease to exist or become something totally unrecognizable by 2030 is like trying to warn people about global warming 15 years ago lol

The Arrogance

This has nothing to do with me liking new rappers or not

When you went from 80s rappers you went to Nas, wu tang, outkast, pac, biggie, Jay, DMX, snoop, prodigy, Eminem etc

From there you went to Kanye, Jeezy, Nelly, TI, 50, Ja rule, cam, lil Jon, Lupe

From here you went to Big Sean, Kendrick, Drake, nicki, J Cole, Rick Ross, etc

From there you went to future, Tyler, griselda, Freddie Gibbs, lil baby, Migos, 21 savage

While still getting contributions from the biggest rap acts to add to the space in addition to the new acts

Now tell me the next group of artists after the ones I just mentioned?

Combine that with the shift in sound, diluted talent pool, to eventually the biggest rap artists, the Jays, nas’, kanye, drakes disappearing and what do you have?

Rappers you guys will hear from in the next few years they first album was a meek mill album lol

Pusha T is like Kool G rap to these new kids

Bruh... you're either trolling or missing your own point: At every level you just named there was a harbinger of doom for rap music.

Eminem was a clown ass whiteboy until he was one of the best rhymers in history. Young Cheesy (DMX reference) I mean Young Jeezy was the end of good rap until low and behold he wasn't. Nelly was pop and couldn't rap really. Lil Jon was a lame that didn't rap and just screamed. Big Sean couldn't rap buuuut actually... dope. Rick Ross was fake and the end of the real. Now he's heralded as a business genius. Kanye had hot beats but couldn't rap, but then he could. Drake was an actor and fake and sang but actually dope on the mic too. Cole would never do better than his mixtapes until he did. Kendrick was slept on until he wasn't. 21 was a trash ass mumble rapper until you realized he said his words clear as fuck. Now you're mentioning him with esteem. Tyler was called a cornball homo in the beginning, but *gasp* he evolved beyond the antics into arguably the most slept on greats from that early 10s class with Cole and Kendrick.

The point is you're demanding we tell you the future. I gave you several "nobody ass niggas" that you wrote off who could fill the void given time... the exact same way everybody up there with few exceptions was wrote off as trash ass rappers did, but because you don't see it that means there's no hope. Besides fucking Nas, Wu-Tang, Biggie, and Pac who on your list came out with SUPER respect and rap love without being written off first? Meth even said Melle Mel and them niggas hated Wu-Tang, so not even they had it all the way love.

So nah. I ain't buying this "Hip Hop and Rap are dead and will devolve away." Niggas are trash in the beginning with few exceptions. It's called learning the ropes. The art doesn't die because dudes got their foot in with one hot single and took a minute to find their footings. You sound like you outgrew this shit or need to put your Spotify on random and dig in the virtual crates. The real is out here beyond what labels are talking about.

Bruh... you're either trolling or missing your own point: At every level you just named there was a harbinger of doom for rap music.

Eminem was a clown ass whiteboy until he was one of the best rhymers in history. Young Cheesy (DMX reference) I mean Young Jeezy was the end of good rap until low and behold he wasn't. Nelly was pop and couldn't rap really. Lil Jon was a lame that didn't rap and just screamed. Big Sean couldn't rap buuuut actually... dope. Rick Ross was fake and the end of the real. Now he's heralded as a business genius. Kanye had hot beats but couldn't rap, but then he could. Drake was an actor and fake and sang but actually dope on the mic too. Cole would never do better than his mixtapes until he did. Kendrick was slept on until he wasn't. 21 was a trash ass mumble rapper until you realized he said his words clear as fuck. Now you're mentioning him with esteem. Tyler was called a cornball homo in the beginning, but *gasp* he evolved beyond the antics into arguably the most slept on greats from that early 10s class with Cole and Kendrick.

The point is you're demanding we tell you the future. I gave you several "nobody ass niggas" that you wrote off who could fill the void given time... the exact same way everybody up there with few exceptions was wrote off as trash ass rappers did, but because you don't see it that means there's no hope. Besides fucking Nas, Wu-Tang, Biggie, and Pac who on your list came out with SUPER respect and rap love without being written off first? Meth even said Melle Mel and them niggas hated Wu-Tang, so not even they had it all the way love.

So nah. I ain't buying this "Hip Hop and Rap are dead and will devolve away." Niggas are trash in the beginning with few exceptions. It's called learning the ropes. The art doesn't die because dudes got their foot in with one hot single and took a minute to find their footings. You sound like you outgrew this shit or need to put your Spotify on random and dig in the virtual crates. The real is out here beyond what labels are talking about.

Lol low key it does seem like he don’t like the culture anymore

Back