Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/hope-hicks-joins-new-fox-as-chief-communications-officer/

Hope Hicks Joins Fox as Chief Communications Officer

Hope Hicks, former right-hand woman to President Donald Trump and his trusted communications chief, is set to join Fox as an executive vice president and Chief Communications Officer.

According to a press release, Hicks will join “New Fox”, the company left following Twenty-First Century Fox’s upcoming merger with Disney.

Lachlan Murdoch, son of Rupert Murdoch, will take the reigns at New Fox as chairman and CEO. The new company will include its major TV channels: Fox News, Fox Business Network, Fox broadcasting and sports networks FS1 and FS2.

The move is sure to raise even more questions about the cozy relationship between Fox News and the Trump administration. Bill Shine, a former Fox News executive, replaced Hicks as White House communications director in July.

Hicks will report to Viet Dinh, Fox Chief Legal and Policy Officer, and will be based in Los Angeles.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/horrified-trump-mockery-threats-blasey-ford

Blasey Ford Lawyers: She’s ‘Horrified’ At Trump’s Mockery, Receiving ‘Unending’ Threats

Lawyers for professor Christine Blasey Ford gave some insight into how their client has fared in the days since her harrowing testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, saying that she is “horrified” at the jokes President Donald Trump has made at her expense and that she and her family have not yet been able to move home due to “unending threats.”

“Her family has been through a lot,” attorney Debra Katz told MSNBC’s Kasie Hunt. “They are not living at home. It’s going to be quite some time before they’re able to live at home. The threats have been unending. It’s deplorable. It’s been very frightening.”

On Trump’s mockery at a campaign rally, Katz said that Blasey Ford was “horrified.”

“She was upset by it, yes, as any woman would be who is the victim of sexual assault, who is mocked and belittled by anyone, never mind the President of the United States,” attorney Lisa Banks added.

I wish y'all would stop blaming Democrats for shit that Republicans are doing. You don't realize it but you are doing the bidding of republicans when you do that. Instead of trying to poke holes in The democrats how about niggas start looking at republicans in their true form which is pure evil. The whole both sides narrative is the worse thing to happen to this country in decades.

Do y'all even realize that Democrats are not even in power. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what they do they have no power in congress. Republicans simply don't know how to govern but instead of focusing on that people would rather talk about where Dems are fucking up. No nigga the people running the show don't know how to lead and are made up of pure evil. Start there.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/manchin-west-virginia-kavanaugh-vote-reaction

Manchin Faces A Political Firestorm Back Home After Kavanaugh Vote

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Danielle Walker cried on Joe Manchin’s shoulder after she shared her story of sexual assault in the senator’s office. She thought he listened.

The 42-year-old Morgantown woman said she was both devastated and furious when Manchin became the only Democrat in the U.S. Senate to support President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh.

“I feel raped all over again,” Walker told The Associated Press.

A day after Manchin broke with his party on what may be the most consequential vote of the Trump era, the vulnerable Democrat is facing a political firestorm back home. While Republicans — including one of the president’s sons — are on the attack, the most passionate criticism is coming from Manchin’s very own Democratic base, a small but significant portion of the electorate he needs to turn out in force to win re-election next month. A Manchin loss would put his party’s hopes of regaining control of the Senate virtually out of reach.

Walker, a first-time Democratic candidate for the state legislature, said she may not vote at all in the state’s high-stakes Senate election. Julia Hamilton, a 30-year-old educator who serves on the executive committee of the Monongalia County Democratic Party, vowed to sit out the Senate race as well.

“At some point you have to draw a line,” Hamilton said. “I have heard from many, many people — especially women. They won’t be voting for Manchin either.”

Manchin defended his vote in a Sunday interview as being based on fact, not emotion. He praised the women who shared their stories of sexual trauma, Walker among them, but said he “could not find any type of link or connection” that Kavanaugh was a rapist.

The woman who testified to the Senate about Kavanaugh, Christine Blasey Ford, accused him of sexual assault but not rape when they were high school students more than 30 years ago. Two other women stepped forward late in the confirmation process to accuse the appeals court judge of sexual misconduct in high school or college. Their stories resonated with women who had suffered sexual trauma and fueled opposition to Kavanaugh’s confirmation.

“They weren’t going to be satisfied, or their healing process, until we convicted this person,” Manchin told The Associated Press. “I couldn’t do it. You talk about two wrongs trying to make a right. It just wasn’t in my heart and soul to do that.”

Manchin insisted over and over that his vote wasn’t based on politics.

There is little doubt, however, that his vote was in line with the wishes of many West Virginia voters, who gave Trump a victory in 2016 by 42 percentage points. There simply aren’t enough Democrats in the state to re-elect Manchin. He needs a significant chunk of Trump’s base to win.

One West Virginia Trump supporter, 74-year-old Linda Ferguson, explained the politics bluntly as she watched the parade at Saturday’s Mountain State Forest Festival in Elkins.

“If he didn’t vote for Kavanaugh he could have kissed his seat goodbye,” Ferguson said.

While he may have represented the majority of his state, Manchin’s political challenges are far from over.

The clash over Kavanaugh, who was confirmed by the Senate on Saturday, has injected new energy into each party’s political base. While that may help Democrats in their fight for the House majority, which is largely taking place in America’s suburbs, there are signs it’s hurting vulnerable Democrats in rural Republican-leaning states like North Dakota, Missouri and West Virginia. Phil Bredesen, who said he would have voted for Kavanaugh, could also face new challenges in his bid to flip Tennessee’s Senate seat to the Democratic column.

For much of the year, Manchin has held a significant lead in public and private polls over his Republican opponent, state Attorney General Patrick Morrisey. Yet Republican operatives familiar with the race report a definite tightening over the last week.

In an interview, Morrisey called Democrats’ fight against Kavanaugh a “three-ring circus” that “energized a lot of people in West Virginia.”

He acknowledged that Manchin voted the right way for the state, but called the vote “irrelevant” because another swing vote, Maine Republican Sen. Susan Collins, had already given Kavanaugh the final vote he needed.

“He waited until the last possible minute after Susan Collins declared for him to take a position, effectively allowing Maine to decide how West Virginia’s going to decide,” Morrisey charged. “We shouldn’t reward that kind of cowardice.”

Echoing the attack, Donald Trump Jr., mockingly called Manchin “a real profile in courage” on Twitter.

When asked about the social media jab, the West Virginia senator slapped away the insult from the younger Trump.

Donald Trump Jr. is “entitled to his opinion, he’s just not entitled to his own facts to justify what he’s saying. He doesn’t really know anything,” Manchin told the AP.

The Democrat conceded that he followed Collins’ lead out of “respect” — he didn’t want to get in the way of her high-profile Friday afternoon announcement on the Senate floor.

“Nothing would have changed my vote,” Manchin declared. “Susan took the lead, Susan did the due diligence. … She’s going to give her speech and I’m not going to jump in front of 3 o’clock. I’m just not going to do it.”

That wasn’t good enough for Tammy Means, a 57-year-old florist from Charleston, who was among thousands tailgating outside West Virginia University’s football stadium in Morgantown on Saturday.

Means, a registered Democrat who voted for Trump, said she also voted for Manchin in the past.

“I’m not going to anymore. Nope,” she said with a laugh as she sipped a Smirnoff Ice. She’s glad Manchin voted for Kavanaugh, but said, “He’s just doing it so he can get elected.”

Across the parking lot, 63-year-old John Vdovjac said he was deeply disappointed by Manchin’s vote. Still, the Democrat said he’d probably vote for Manchin this fall.

“I recognize the position he’s in because the state’s heavily Republican now,” said Vdovjac, a retired educator from Wheeling, as he helped grill hotdogs and hamburgers. “But he’s lost my loyalty.

Manchin knows he needs to explain his vote to his constituents, although he didn’t have any public events scheduled this weekend. Before and after the AP interview, conducted at Charleston’s International House of Pancakes, he told everyone who would listen — including his waitress — that his Kavanaugh vote was not based on emotion.

“I made my decision based on facts,” the senator told Kevin Estep, a 57-year-old registered Democrat and Trump voter who was eating buttered pancakes with his family.

“You hang in there and vote your heart,” Estep, who lives in nearby St. Albans, told the senator.

After Manchin left the building, Estep warned that the #MeToo movement “is like a dam that’s about to break open.”

Asked whether he’d support Manchin this fall, he responded, “Always.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-kavanaugh-hoax-democrats-midterms

Trump: Kavanaugh ‘Hoax Set Up By Dems’ Will Cost Them In The Midterms

President Donald Trump sounded off on the Democrats’ treatment of the newly confirmed Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh as he got ready to board Air Force One with Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein Monday.

“I’ve been hearing that now they’re thinking about impeaching a brilliant jurist, a man that did nothing wrong, a man that was caught up in a hoax that was set up by the Democrats using the Democrats’ lawyers, and now they want to impeach him,” Trump said. “I’ve heard this from many people. I think it’s an insult to the American public.”

Trump added that Democrats will be directly affected during the midterm elections next month by how they handled the Kavanaugh confirmation process.

“I think you’re going to see a lot of things happen on November 6th that would not have happened before,” Trump said. “The American public has seen this charade, has seen this dishonesty by the Democrats.”

The President doubled down on how he feels it’s wrong to consider impeaching his Supreme Court nominee — who was the “top scholar, top student, top intellect” – when he “did nothing wrong.”

“It was all made up. It was fabricated. And it’s a disgrace,” Trump said. “And I think it’s going to really show you something come November 6th.”

Trump concluded his comments to reporters outside the White House by saying he thinks “a lot of Democrats are going to vote Republican” because he has “many friends that are Democrats.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/kavanaugh-white-house-event-appearance

Kavanaugh’s Appearance At White House Event Is Unusual For New Justices

WASHINGTON (AP) — New Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh is returning to the White House for a televised appearance Monday with President Donald Trump less than a month before pivotal congressional elections.

Kavanaugh will take part in an entirely ceremonial swearing-in two days after he officially became a member of the high court and following a bitter partisan fight over his nomination. The event is unusual for new justices. Only Samuel Alito and Stephen Breyer participated in a White House event after they had been sworn-in and begun work as a justice, according to the court’s records on oath-taking by the current crop of justices.

Kavanaugh, along with his law clerks, already has been at the Supreme Court preparing for his first day on the bench Tuesday when the justices will hear arguments in two cases about longer prison terms for repeat offenders. The new justice’s four clerks all are women, the first time that has happened.

The clerks are Kim Jackson, who previously worked for Kavanaugh on the federal appeals court in Washington, Shannon Grammel, Megan Lacy and Sara Nommensen. The latter three all worked for other Republican-nominated judges. Lacy had been working at the White House in support of Kavanaugh’s nomination.

In his Senate testimony last month in which he denied allegations that he sexually assaulted a woman in high school, accusing Democrats of orchestrating a partisan campaign against him, Kavanaugh had promised that, if he was confirmed, the four clerks working for him would be women. “I’ll be the first justice in the history of the Supreme Court to have a group of all-women law clerks. That is who I am.”

On Monday, Trump kept up attacks on Democrats for opposing Kavanaugh, pressing on an issue that Republicans have used to energize their voters.

Kavanaugh was “caught up in a hoax that was set up by the Democrats,” Trump said as he left the White House for a trip to Florida.

“It was all made up, it was fabricated and it’s a disgrace,” he said.

The climactic 50-48 roll call vote Saturday on Kavanaugh was the closest vote to confirm a justice since 1881. It capped a fight that seized the national conversation after claims emerged that Kavanaugh had sexually assaulted women three decades ago. Kavanaugh emphatically denied the allegations.

The accusations transformed the clash from a routine struggle over judicial ideology into an angry jumble of questions about victims’ rights and personal attacks on nominees.

Ultimately, every Democrat voted against Kavanaugh except for Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia.

Kavanaugh was sworn in Saturday evening in a private ceremony as protesters chanted outside the court building.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Sunday praised his party’s senators, whom he said re-established the “presumption of innocence” in confirmation hearings. “We stood up to the mob,” he said.

Trump has now put his stamp on the court with his second justice in as many years. Yet Kavanaugh is joining under a cloud.

Accusations from several women remain under scrutiny, and House Democrats have pledged further investigation if they win the majority in November. Outside groups are culling an unusually long paper trail from his previous government and political work, with the National Archives and Records Administration expected to release a cache of millions of documents this month.

Still, Sen. Chris Coons, D-Delaware, said he believed it would be premature for Democrats to talk about re-investigating Kavanaugh or a possible impeachment if the party takes control of the chamber, stressing a need to help heal the country.

“Folks who feel very strongly one way or the other about the issues in front of us should get out and vote and participate,” Coons said.

With one confirmation just ended, McConnell also signaled he’s willing to take up another high court nomination in the 2020 presidential election season should another vacancy arise.

He tried to distinguish between President Donald Trump’s nomination of Kavanaugh this year and his own decision not to have the GOP-run Senate consider President Barack Obama’s high court nominee, Merrick Garland, in 2016. McConnell called the current partisan divide a “low point,” but he blamed Democrats.

“The Senate’s not broken,” McConnell said. “We didn’t attack Merrick Garland’s background and try to destroy him.” He asserted that “we simply followed the tradition of America.”

Two years ago, McConnell blocked a vote on Garland, citing what he said was a tradition of not filling vacancies in a presidential election year. But when asked again Sunday about it, he sought to clarify that a Senate case in 1880 suggested inaction on a nominee only when the chamber was controlled by the party opposing the president.

Republicans hold a 51-49 majority in the Senate, with several seats up for grabs in November. The court’s two oldest justices are Democratic appointees: Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 85 and Stephen Breyer is 80.

McConnell spoke on “Fox News Sunday” and CBS’ “Face the Nation,” and Coons was on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Co...fuccin...sign.

Been saying this. There should be NO excuse this time.

Exactly. Bruh

I’m tired of that shit. Jews ain’t out here marching. They trying to make real moves.

We should be doing the same fucking thing.

Just like that park that had all them slave owners in. Black dudes found a way to buy the park and reshape it in the image they wanted to see. None of that other stuff.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/alaska-gop-considers-reprimanding-murkowski

Alaska GOP Weighs Reprimanding Murkowski For Opposing Kavanaugh

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — Alaska Republican party leaders plan to consider whether to reprimand U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski for opposing Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation.

The party has asked Murkowski to provide any information she might want its state central committee to consider.

Party Chairman Tuckerman Babcock says the committee could decide to issue a statement. Or he says it could withdraw support of Murkowski, encourage party officials to look for a replacement and ask that she not seek re-election as a Republican. He says the party took that more extreme step previously with state legislators who caucused with Democrats.

He says all this follows outrage from Alaska Republicans.

Murkowski told reporters that if she worried about political repercussions she wouldn’t be able to do the job Alaskans expect her to do.

In the end this should benefit the democrats next month and possibly 2020.

I was thinking that but then history has shown us white men will always vote one way and everyone has high hopes for white women to do the right thing but they fail then want to march and then everyone goes the black population didn't turn out.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/gop-senators-literally-under-assault-kavanaugh

McConnell: GOP Senators Were ‘Literally Under Assault’ During Kavanaugh Confirmation Process

Summer Concepcion

Two days after the Senate confirmed Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said GOP senators were “literally under assault” during the confirmation process at a press conference in Kentucky Monday.

“We were literally under assault,” McConnell said, directly referring to the protesters who interrupted the Senate’s final vote to confirm Kavanaugh Saturday.

McConnell specifically took issue with what he says was “a full-scale effort to intimidate.”

“These demonstrators, I’m sure some of them were well-meaning citizens,” McConnell said. “But many of them were obviously trying to get in our faces, to go to our homes. Basically almost attack us in the halls of the Capitol.”

McConnell then reiterated that he is “very pleased with the outcome” and will attend the swearing-in ceremony for Kavanaugh at the White House Monday night.

0CB1FF48-1D31-4485-ACCC-12682B929103.gif

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-r...mocrats-i-like-her-music-25-percent-less-now/

Trump Reacts to Taylor Swift Endorsing TN Democrats: I Like Her Music ’25 Percent Less Now

Inevitable in retrospect.

President Donald Trump took questions from the White House press pool on Monday afternoon, and at one point, he was asked for his thoughts on Taylor Swift‘s political announcement in support of Democrats. POTUS responded with a supportive statement for Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), saying Swift “doesn’t know anything about her,” and “let’s say that I like Taylor’s music about 25 percent less now.”

The statement comes after Swift released a call for action on Sunday while announcing support for Phil Bredesen and Jim Cooper in their respective races for the Senate and the House of Representatives

In terms of the president’s remarks, no comment yet from Swift if she can “shake it off.”

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-t...forced-to-endure-terrible-pain-and-suffering/

Trump Apologizes to Kavanaugh at WH Ceremony — You’ve Been Forced to Endure ‘Terrible Pain and Suffering’

On Monday, President Donald Trump started Brett Kavanaugh‘s swearing-in ceremony at the White House by claiming that the new Supreme Court justice has been effectively cleared of the sexual misconduct allegations brought against him.

Kavanaugh officially took his place on the Supreme Court Saturday after several weeks of heated political fights and claims of improper conduct from multiple accusers. Trump has attacked “evil” Democrats throughout the day for their conduct throughout the “hoax” of Kavanaugh’s alleged sexual assault, and at an honorary White House swearing-in ceremony on Monday night, the president pronounced Kavanaugh “innocent” while lamenting the “terrible pain and suffering” his family went through because of the allegations, which Trump said was “based on lies and deception.”

“I would like to begin tonight’s proceeding differently than perhaps any other event of such magnitude. On behalf of our nation, I want to apologize to Brett and the entire Kavanaugh family for the terrible pain and suffering you have been forced to endure. Those who stepped forward to serve our country deserve a fair and dignified evaluation, not a campaign of political and personal destruction, based on lies and deception. What happened to the Kavanaugh family violates every notion of fairness, decency, and due process. Our country, a man or a woman, must always be presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty. And with that, I must state that you, sir, under historic scrutiny were proven innocent.”

60EDA629-834F-4C26-8857-A38FAF7C8EED.gif

Back