Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

test

Gervonta Davis-Gamboa To Headline SHO Card December 28

Gervonta Davis will face Yuriorkis Gamboa in December after all.

Multiple sources have confirmed to BoxingScene.com that the Davis-Gamboa bout has been scheduled for December 28. Showtime will televise Davis-Gamboa as the main event of a tripleheader that night.

The Athletic’s Mike Coppinger first reported Wednesday night that the Davis-Gamboa bout will air December 28 on Showtime. State Farm Arena in Atlanta is a potential site for the card headlined by Davis-Gamboa, but it hasn’t been finalized.

Davis versus Gamboa appeared headed for a January date on Showtime. The premium cable network has remaining money in its 2019 budget, though, because FOX will distribute the Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz heavyweight championship rematch on pay-per-view November 23.

There will now be two “Showtime Championship Boxing” cards in December.

The first telecast, which was officially announced Friday, will feature WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo in the main event December 7. Houston’s Charlo (29-0, 21 KOs) will defend his title against Australia’s Dennis Hogan (28-2-1, 7 KOs) that night at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Davis, meanwhile, will fight for the third time within this calendar year.

In his last bout, the 24-year-old Davis (22-0, 21 KOs) knocked out Ricardo Nunez in the second round of a main event July 27 that drew a capacity crowd of 14,686 to Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore, Davis’ hometown. Panama’s Nunez (21-3, 19 KOs) was the mandatory challenger for Davis’ WBA super 130-pound championship, which Davis since has relinquished to move up to the lightweight limit of 135 pounds.

Gamboa (30-2, 18 KOs) stopped Roman “Rocky” Martinez (30-4-3, 18 KOs) in the second round on the Davis-Nunez undercard. He’ll turn 38 five days before he faces Davis.

Showtime aired the Davis-Nunez and Gamboa-Martinez matches. This will mark the seventh consecutive Davis fight Showtime will have televised either live on the network or on pay-per-view.

The WBA installed Davis as its No. 1 contender in the lightweight division once he vacated one of its two super featherweight titles. The Cuban-born Gamboa is the WBA’s No. 2 contender at lightweight.

Davis and Gamboa will fight for a vacant version of the WBA’s 135-pound championship. Whomever wins the Davis-Gamboa bout is expected to become the mandatory challenger for the WBA’s true lightweight champion, Vasiliy Lomachenko (14-1, 10 KOs).

Whomever wins the Davis-Gamboa bout is expected to become the mandatory challenger for the WBA’s true lightweight champion, Vasiliy Lomachenko
see what i'm saying....no matter how u slice it, this is a good fight......., a lomachenko fight wasn't gonna happen at it's earliest till next year.....so why not take a fight right now that keeps you relevant, gets you a nice headlining check, and makes you a mandatory to the fight you really want???

shit makes more sense than anything in the world imo

Beterbiev is Zod

He needs to work more though but that was vicious that slapping uppercut that he did as a matter of fact early in the last round was ridiculous it really wasn't a dramatic shit but damn

De La Hoya Sued By Woman Claiming Sexual Assault and Battery

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya is being sued by a woman who claims the Hall of Famer sexually assaulted and battered her in 2017, according to lawsuit documents obtained by TMZ.

The woman filed the suit in L.A. County Superior Court using the alias of "Jane Doe" to protect her identity.

In the legal documents, she described herself as a licensed vocational nurse who met De La Hoya in 2016 and says the two had an ongoing consensual sexual relationship.

She alleges the incident took place in November 2017, when the former invited her over to check out his new house in Pasadena.

In a graphic description of the events, she alleges that an intoxicated De La Hoya became frustrated when she declined several unusual requests to "experiment" sexually.

At some point during the encounter, she alleges in the suit that De La Hoya "ultimately held her down with one arm while forcefully trying to insert his fist into Plaintiff's vagina" and that she "repeatedly said no and demanded that De La Hoya stop. However, De La Hoya overpowered her and suddenly and forcefully pushed his hand and fist into Plaintiff's vagina."

She claims to have screamed in pain and yelled at De La Hoya, who allegedly laughed and offered her alcohol. She claims to have refused the alcohol and left the home in anger.

After the incident, she claim to have "felt extreme swelling and pain for which she was prescribed medication at urgent care" and "sought treatment with a Doctor of Psychology and Certified Sex Therapist who diagnosed Plaintiff with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder arising from the sexual battery by De La Hoya."

There is no indication in the suit if she ever filed a report with police.

In her suit, filed by attorney Greg Kirakosian, the plaintiff is demanding unspecified damages for sexual assault, sexual battery, gender violence, negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

De La Hoya could not be reached for comment Monday.

Earlier this month, De La Hoya was sued for emotional distress by former employee David “Tattoo” Gonzalez, who claims De La Hoya called him at inappropriate hours to help him when the retired boxing star-turned-promoter was “highly intoxicated.”

Gonzalez, who quit working for De La Hoya’s promotional company last year, claims his situation grew worse when he informed Golden Boy Promotions that he wouldn’t be able to work an event due to serious injuries he suffered in an accident. Gonzalez claims he was told he would be fired if he didn’t show up. He worked the gig, but alleges that eventually Golden Boy forced him to quit the company.

The 1992 Olympic gold medalist admitted in the past that he has abused alcohol and cocaine. He has sought treatment for substance abuse multiple times.

see what i'm saying....no matter how u slice it, this is a good fight......., a lomachenko fight wasn't gonna happen at it's earliest till next year.....so why not take a fight right now that keeps you relevant, gets you a nice headlining check, and makes you a mandatory to the fight you really want???

shit makes more sense than anything in the world imo

Since when do Tank really want the Lomochenko fight?

Serrano Insists 'Katie Taylor Needs Me, I Don't Need Katie Taylor'

Their super fight is targeted for the near future, yet Amanda Serrano is already mentioning Katie Taylor as if she’s part of a distant pass.

As Taylor—the reigning World lightweight champion—continues to prepare for a planned attempt at becoming a two-division titlist, the rival thought to be waiting in the wings has expressed displeasure in playing that role.

“That would have been a great fight, me and Katie Taylor but I’m definitely… I’m on my own path,” Serrano (37-1-1, 27KOs) told DAZN USA’s Lauren Gardner during a recent segment of Born Fighter: Amanda Serrano which debuted Monday on YouTube. “I’m not gonna sit around and wait for Katie Taylor.

“Katie Taylor needs me, I don’t need Katie Taylor.”

Serrano—a Puerto Rico-born boxer who was raised in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn, New York—is coming off of a 10-round decision win over fellow Brooklynite and previously unbeaten featherweight titlist Heather Hardy (22-1, 4KOs) this past September at Madison Square Garden's Hulu Theater in New York City. The win ignited her second tour as a featherweight titlist amidst her record-breaking run of having claimed an alphabet title in seven different weight divisions, the most ever among any female boxer in history among any athlete (male or female) to come out of Puerto Rico—the previous mark being four on both fronts.

Her fight with Hardy was the second of a three-bout agreement inked with DAZN and Matchroom Boxing USA, as negotiated through her boxing promoter Lou DiBella. The last of the lot is a blockbuster showdown with Ireland’s Taylor (14-0, 6KOs) in a bout that would carry major pound-for-pound implications. The understanding on Serrano’s end was that both she and Taylor—a two-time Olympian and 2012 Olympic Gold medalist—would be granted two fights each under such a deal with the third fight being a head-on collision.

Stalling such plans, however, was an internal rift between DiBella and Serrano’s team regarding the terms of their aforementioned agreement with Matchroom. A far-too-public contract dispute between the two left Serrano without a fight since her 35-second blitzing of Eva Voraberger to win a vacant 115-pound title in January.

Meanwhile, Taylor is now entering her fourth fight since Serrano joined the DAZN family, this one a move up in weight as she challenges for a 140-pound title. The 33-year old World lightweight queenpin will square off versus defending titlist Christina Linardatou—who is also promoted by DiBella—atop a Nov. 2 show at Manchester Arena in Manchester, England.

The bout will mark Taylor’s first fight in the United Kingdom since a knockout win over Kimberly Connor last July. She has since fought four straight times in the United States, a run which began with a 10-round shutout of Cindy Serrano, Amanda’s older sister before racking up title fight wins over previously unbeaten foes Eva Wahlstrom and Rose Volante.

Both fights came as part of a deal that was to lead to a fight with Serrano, but Taylor rightly chose to move forward with her own career when it became clear that their career paths began to separate. A hard-fought 10-round majority decision win over Belgium’s Delfine Persoon netted Taylor the undisputed lightweight championship this past June in MSG's main room, a fight which left many calling for a rematch while a super fight with Serrano remained in question.

Following Serrano’s win over Hardy, promoter Eddie Hearn not only revealed tentative plans for Taylor-Serrano but called for such a fight to headline at that very same venue rather than serve in supporting capacity to any other bout. Such a fight is targeted for next March, with Taylor currently focused on her upcoming showdown versus Linardatou (12-1, 6KOs).

Apparently, that’s not good enough for Serrano and her team, who views Taylor’s latest move as an abandonment of the lightweight division

“I’ve left my legacy in the sport of boxing. I’m not just going to continue to be put on the shelf or be sitting and waiting for just one fighter,” insisted Serrano, who is also an active mixed martial arts fighter under the Combate Americas banner. “There’s hundreds of girls, thousands of girls. She’s just not the only champion. There’s tons of champions in the sport.

“I have so many other options.”

It remains clear that the same can be said of Taylor, who in the past year has enhanced her status as a global superstar. A win on Nov. 2 will clear her own path towards becoming undisputed champion at junior welterweight if she so chooses. Taylor owns back-to-back points wins at lightweight over Jessica McCaskill—who has since become a unified 140-pound titlist—and Victoria Bustos, now an interim titlist at the weight.

Also at her disposal if she so chooses is a rematch with Belgium’s Persoon, should she choose to immediately return to lightweight.

While weighing options of her own, it will be entirely up to Serrano—who just two months ago insisted a willingness to fight Taylor in Ireland if need be—to disrupt any of those plans with a deal already in place for an historic bout, one that most certainly needs to be a part of her future.

De La Hoya Denies Allegations, Vows To Fight Sexual Assault Claims

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya has denied the claims being pursued in a lawsuit recently filed in L.A. County Superior Court, by a woman using the alias of "Jane Doe" to protect her identity.

The Hall of Famer is alleged to have sexually assaulted and battered her in 2017, according to lawsuit documents obtained by TMZ.

During an alleged encounter which took place in November 2017 at a house in Pasadena, De La Hoya was intoxicated and sexual assaulted the plaintiff, who claims to have been in an ongoing relationship with the boxer.

There is no indication in the suit if she ever filed a report with police.

In her suit, filed by attorney Greg Kirakosian, the plaintiff is demanding unspecified damages for sexual assault, sexual battery, gender violence, negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Earlier this month, De La Hoya was sued for emotional distress by former employee David “Tattoo” Gonzalez, who claims De La Hoya called him at inappropriate hours to help him when the retired boxing star-turned-promoter was “highly intoxicated.”

Gonzalez, who quit working for De La Hoya’s promotional company last year, claims his situation grew worse when he informed Golden Boy Promotions that he wouldn’t be able to work an event due to serious injuries he suffered in an accident. Gonzalez claims he was told he would be fired if he didn’t show up. He worked the gig, but alleges that eventually Golden Boy forced him to quit the company.

De La Hoya's company has issued a statement, reacting to the recently filed lawsuits.

"A frivolous lawsuit was filed recently alleging that Oscar De La Hoya sexually assaulted 'Jane Doe,' which is completely false. Oscar is a very successful businessman, running one of the country's leading sports and entertainment companies - thus a prime target. It is worth noting that both recent lawsuits have been filed by the same attorney who is looking to make a name for himself. We vehemently deny these allegations and look forward to vigorously defending Oscar's good name and reputation,"a Golden Boy spokesman said in the statement.

Chris Eubank Jr. vs. Matt Korobov Finalized For Charlo-Hogan

Middleweight star Chris Eubank Jr. and top contender Matt Korobov will square off in the co-main event on Saturday, December 7 live on SHOWTIME from Barclays Center, the home of BROOKLYN BOXING™, in a Premier Boxing Champions event. Eubank and Korobov will meet for the Interim WBA Middleweight Title.

The middleweight division will take center stage on the SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING telecast (9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT) that is headlined by undefeated WBC Middleweight World Champion Jermall Charlo defending his title against highly-ranked contender Dennis Hogan.

Eubank is coming off a career-best win over British super middleweight rival James DeGale in February on SHOWTIME and will go down to the 160-pound class to take on Korobov, a southpaw who gave Charlo a tougher than expected test as a late replacement last December at Barclays Center.

This will be the first time that Eubank (28-2, 21 KOs) has fought in the U.S. as a professional. Although he has competed at super middleweight, the 29-year-old from Brighton, Sussex in the United Kingdom will meet Korobov at his more natural weight of 160 pounds for the interim title. Since losing to George Groves in 2018, the son of British legend Chris Eubank Sr. has put together two victories, including the decisive unanimous decision over former super middleweight champion DeGale in his last fight in London.

“I’m ready to take the United States and the middleweight division by storm,” said Eubank. “I’m excited to come down to 160 pounds where I naturally belong, and I don’t see anybody being able to touch me at this weight class. America is where I learned how to fight as an amateur in Las Vegas and 13 years later I’m finally going to make my U.S. professional debut. I can’t wait to show the fans in the U.S. that I’m the best middleweight in the world.”

The 36-year-old Korobov (28-2-1, 14 KOs) is coming off a majority draw against Immanuwel Aleem in his last fight in May, after serving notice to the middleweight division that he would be a threat when he lost a hard-fought decision to Jermall Charlo in December. Born in Orotukan, Russia and now living in St. Petersburg, Florida, Korobov was a late replacement and gave Charlo a tougher fight than many experts expected. Korobov had been riding a four-fight win streak before the Charlo fight, having previously lost a middleweight title fight to Andy Lee in 2014.

“I am more motivated for this fight than any other so far in my career,” said Korobov. “Against Jermall Charlo, I didn’t get the decision. In my mind, I won that fight at Barclays Center. This time around, I will leave no doubt against Eubank. This opportunity gives me a chance to right a wrong. Fans will see the best Matt Korobov on December 7.”

Back