Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

The-Hand-of-God-2021-Italian.jpg

'Hand Of God'

Beautiful autobiographical tale ...

I've been a fan of Sorrentino (the director) ever since I saw Consequences of Love over a decade ago... Watched all his movies ever since

What can I say that hasn't been said about El Diego? I shed a thug tear when he passed on ...

rip.

5/5

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

A Marvel Of Madness

NO SPOILERS NO SPOILERS

PRAISE : I have never been happier to have been mislead by a movie trailer !! DSITMOM hits the ground running and only let's up here and there. The story this time around : Dr Stephen Strange casts a forbidden spell that opens a portal to the multiverse. However, a threat emerges that may be too big for his team to handle.
High praise to Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Stephen Strange for taking on multiple versions of the Doc,and putting some emotion to his reflective moments in the film that include grief and regret.
Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch nearly steals the movie.She commits to the role even more so in this movie with a performance that is filled with raw emotion that is etched in her face and eyes.
Xochitl Gomez as America Chavez is instantly likeable also providing raw emotion and if they ever have a Young Avengers show or movie she would be a great addition.
Chiwetel Ejiofor, Benedict Wong, and Rachel McAdams also make great contributions to the movie.
Talk about a Directors fingerprints being all over a movie !! WOW
Director Sam Raimi and crew not only provide trippy visuals as the movie goes down the rabbit hole of the Multiverse but he weaves in his sinister brand of horror that is relentless and then some !!
This is definitely the most violent MCU film. It does cutaway from the gore and i wonder how much more would have been shown if this was a direct to streaming service film.
Some very interesting things are said and done with the Multiverse.
There are very good,unique action and fight sequences.Nice humor here and there.
There are several cool surprises.It was great seeing this in a crowded series with Marvel fans.
At times the MCU doesnt make great use of characters and the situations that are presented in their shows and movies but the way these movies are structured now they give the promise that some great things are on the horizon.

PROBLEMS : The movie drifts into a cheesy slasher film territory a couple of times with corny one liners attached.
When it goes into chase mode thats when i really became detached.
The film does a lot in it's 2 hour and 6 minute running time so much so one can get lost in all of it and why i feel at least 20 more minutes was needed.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Any of you recommend the Evil Dead movies to start watching? Are they "good"?

I might be in the minority, but Army of Darkness (the 3rd movie) is my fav. Its the one i re-watch from time to time. They were great when i watched them, but i dont know how well the first 2 movies aged.

I liked the TV show too (Ash vs. The Evil Dead).

I might be in the minority, but Army of Darkness (the 3rd movie) is my fav. Its the one i re-watch from time to time. They were great when i watched them, but i dont know how well the first 2 movies aged.

I liked the TV show too (Ash vs. The Evil Dead).
Ok Cool

I'm trying to get into this universe

One of my favorite series. Buy if you are now just watching the series, you may not like it. It is not scary but has a lot of gore and campiness. I watch the first 2 the most. Im a fan of the costume design and claymation. The second is sort of a redo but they change the story up and have a bigger budget. The third is ok. I watch that the least. Ill say still give it a try. They also had a series come out on showtime maybe 6 years ago. I think it is now in netflix. You may notice some scenes as evil dead has had a lot of references in cartoons like reboot, simpsons and other shows.

Firestarter (2022)

Fast Flame Out

PRAISE: Firestarter is in my top 5 of Stephen King books. The 1984 film version of Firestarter is one of my all time favorite movies.
So how does the 2022 version match up?
The story about a couple desperately trying to hide their daughter, Charlie, from a shadowy federal agency that wants to harness her unprecedented gift for turning fire into a weapon of mass destruction starts out pretty good and all of the actors including : Zac Efron, Ryan Kiera Armstrong, Sydney Lemmon, Kurtwood Smith, John Beasley, Michael Greyeyes and Gloria Reuben do a fine job up to a certain point.
I don't think I've ever seen Reuben take on such a crazy,cruel and cold role before and she was fun to watch. There are some good kills,and really great unintentional laughs. Some of the violence is not for the faint of heart....especially if you are an animal lover....MEEOOOOWWWUCH !!....LOL

PROBLEMS: This was a Cliff Notes Version of Firestarter .The film starts to smolder when the last 30 minutes start. It was just lacking in so many ways. It was definitely missing the haunting feel of dread that the 1984 film possessed missing even some of its heart. They try to throw in some twist at the end that was supposed to make me say ohhhh what's going to happen?....but I thought it was extremely lame.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5

Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers 2022

Disney Does Nostalgia+

PRAISE: I definitely remember Disney Days Off on my local channels whenever there was a holiday along with several popular animated Disney shows Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers was included.
Going with the theme of animated characters being kidnapped to be bootlegged was hilarious because I have seen bootleg versions of cartoons and live action movies time and time again across the internet and laying around in stores.
The movie perfectly blends not only the numerous world's of animation but popular well known characters,movies and pop culture and puts a humorous spin on them.Some great voice work from the entire cast .Kiki Layne turns in a sweet performance as a policewoman/superfan.Some funny celebrity cameos are also included.

PROBLEMS: Even with all of the things the movie gets right some of it feels been there done that. Sometimes I did feel and see the film straining to be something for kids and adults. I did wonder if Disney tried to save money or did they purposely make some of the main characters look extremely off and bland.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Top Gun : Maverick

Still a need for speed

PRAISE: Captain. Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell is still a rebel and pushing himself and jets to the limit in Top Gun : Maverick. The story this time around has Maverick Training a detachment of graduates for a special assignment, Maverick must confront the ghosts of his past and his deepest fears, culminating in a mission that demands the ultimate sacrifice from those who choose to fly it.
This movie gets a lot of things right and if you're going to make a sequel almost 36 years later this is how you do it.
The cast is all around likeable even if a bit cookie cutter with the cocky,young, and arrogant airmen and women seemingly ready to take on the world that includes: Miles Teller, Glen Powell, Jay Ellis, Lewis Pullman, Danny Ramirez, and Monica Barbaro .
Also some great supportive work from Jon Hamm and Val Kilmer
Cruise is really at his best here still portraying Maverick with the same swagger but enough pain around the edges to make him human.
There's a cute romance between him and Jennifer Connelly.
The action sequences are outstanding with dizzying visuals that are a wonder for the eyes and breathtaking. The film also hit me with a good dose of raw emotion, hitting all the right cords and then some. A lot of nice nods to the first film.
A great job is done making the story come full circle.
I wonder if writers Peter Craig and Justin Marks are Star Wars fans LOL

PROBLEMS : There's some clichéd and predictable moments and at times I wished the film could have gone down a few more gripping and realistic paths.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8½

INTERCEPTOR

Miss those 80s ladies action flicks?

PRAISE : I will always love a one person taking on 10 or more flicks. The story in this one : One Army captain is forced use her years of tactical training and military expertise when a simultaneous coordinated attack threatens the remote missile interceptor station of which she is in command.Elsa Pataky definitely carries this movie on her shoulders spitting out one liners and showing off her athletic skills . I didnt even recognize Luke Bracey i didnt know it was him until the credits rolled but he did ok especially when he was trading salty barbs with Pataky. There are some great and creative kills. I liked most of the fight sequences. I applaud the movie for doing a couple of unique things.....no wait I think I saw something similar in a G.I. Joe Episode...but thanks for bringing back a childhood memory.
There was a fun cameo.

PROBLEMS: This flick was ultra predictable. I immediately knew who the bad guys were,who was going to die first,and who was going to survive. Some of the green screen work and CGI looked pretty bad.Some of the MeToo moments were a bit overdone. Pretty funny how there were so many just in time moments. Most of the acting was hollow from an unrecognizable cast who just say cookie cutter lines. Partially produced by Patakys husband Chris Hemsworth I'm shocked he couldn't get more money for the flicks budget.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5

JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION

Jurassic Generations

PRAISE: The final(?) big screen adventure with Jurassic dinosaurs story revolves around
The future of mankind hanging in the balance as humans and dinosaurs coexist following the destruction of Isla Nublar
There's still a lot of fun and excitement to be had in this world that first hit the big screen in 1993.
Watching the characters from all of the films unite was a joy to watch . The cast including Bryce Dallas Howard( i could look into her lovely eyes forever) Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Sam Neill, BD Wong, Omar Sy and Isabella Sermon attack their roles with great enthusiasm. When I think about the mindset of the world I live in it is absolutely believable of what's happening between man and dinosaurs in this movie.
The story nicely expands on Maisies background with a good backstory with some surprises and heartfelt moments.
Hats off to the people behind the CGI and SFX.
Nice nods to the previous Jurassic movies and other well known adventure films. I think they did a good job of connecting the past and present films.

PROBLEMS: Some sequence set ups were very predictable. Some of the film was been there done that old hat. The oh we are trying to better the world but yeah we're sinister......ZZZZZZZ
I thought the heart of gold characters were present just to provide convenience for other characters.
The last film left viewers with the cliffhanger of dinosaurs and man converging but I thought the movie was lacking in that thread and should have been played up more.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

Every NBA fan should watch Hustle starring Adam Sandler and Juancho Hernangomez. This is a movie by a Fan for Fans, a feel good movie, it's not perfect but it's definitely one of Happy Madison's better films. Sandler plays the scout/coach role well. Juancho and Anthony Edwards really shine as rivals and their acting is quite superb for NBA players. Tons of cameos. 8/10

Back