Welcome To aBlackWeb

Mase Calls Out Puff For Bad Business & Not Letting Him Buy His Publishing Back

Ayo I'm a Wu afficianado and I don't know what you're talking about here. Tell the story please.
They explained it on one of those podcast I think it was Combat Jack RIP....in those days what artists would do is do the feature and charge for it then when it was video time, the featured artist would do some shit like show up to the video shoot but refuse to get on camera until they received a requested amount of money from the artist label....one day ODB pulled this stunt, I don’t remember whose video it was but ODB was a video shoot but refused to shoot the video until he was given the money he requested prompting Sylvia Rhône to call him personally and tell him “ hey Dirty, baby I got your money”

inspiring the classic song

They explained it on one of those podcast I think it was Combat Jack RIP....in those days what artists would do is do the feature and charge for it then when it was video time, the featured artist would do some shit like show up to the video shoot but refuse to get on camera until they received a requested amount of money from the artist label....one day ODB pulled this stunt, I don’t remember whose video it was but ODB was a video shoot but refused to shoot the video until he was given the money he requested prompting Sylvia Rhône to call him personally and tell him “ hey Dirty, baby I got your money”

inspiring the classic song

That was the Mariah Carey Fantasy video.

Former 112 member Q Parker, too, says he sides with the Grammy-nominated rapper. TMZ caught up with Q and asked him about the disagreement, and the singer said that all artists should be keenly aware of their contracts. "I get where Mason's coming from 'cause I'm in the same situation," he said. "I want the other half of my publishing back, too."

It's not an easy feat. "However, there's a contract that we signed when we were teenagers and legally he did nothing wrong," Q added. He said they received the "industry standards for back in the '90s. He's asking Puffy to make a personal and emotional decision, and I don't' know if he's gon' do that."

A Clive Davis's pre-Grammy gala, Diddy gave a speech scolding the academy for its rejection of hip hop music throughout the years. "Now, where I do think he was wrong was asking the academy to do something that he's not willing to do," Q said, adding that you
can't celebrate black greatness and be a shrewd businessman because "they're in conflict."

How he did the Making of the Band crew showed you how he operates. Them muthafuccas got peanuts.

But I blame them too. B/c only person who wanted to had their lawyer look over the contract was Sarah. And the group eventually pressured her to sign it.

These stories made me think of when Camron was shooting his first video, for his first single on his debut album. And even tho Camron was his homie and he was featured on the song, Mase wanted like 50k to appear in the video. Now we know where Mase got it from. Think he tried to pass it off as "its just business" or some shit like that.
Ever notice for people like this its always "just business" till it gets done to them.

Thats not really how that went down.....Mase did the 357 video and the hook for Horse and Carriage for free

When it came time to do the video for Horse and Carriage Mase asked for money but he tried to explain to Cam that its in his budget and if he doesn't spend that bread the label is just going to keep it....so why not give it to me and then me and you can break it down instead

Cam was dumb and couldn't understand that and thought "you my man you shouldnt be charging me shit"

Hes actually talked about this and admitted he was dead wrong for being so young and not understanding the business until a lot later on and that Mase really tried to do him a solid.....dude didnt know shit until Dame helped him out and brought him to Rocafella

Also Lance(UN) was in his ear telling him Mase is homie and should be doing all this for free but an actuality he was trying to take advantage of Cams relationship with one of the biggest stars in rap at the time....dude was trying to be cheap and get free look and keep that money for himself and the other execs/the label

Thats not really how that went down.....Mase did the 357 video and the hook for Horse and Carriage for free

When it came time to do the video for Horse and Carriage Mase asked for money but he tried to explain to Cam that its in his budget and if he doesn't spend that bread the label is just going to keep it....so why not give it to me and then me and you can break it down instead

Cam was dumb and couldn't understand that and thought "you my man you shouldnt be charging me shit"

Hes actually talked about this and admitted he was dead wrong for being so young and not understanding the business until a lot later on and that Mase really tried to do him a solid.....dude didnt know shit until Dame helped him out and brought him to Rocafella

Also Lance(UN) was in his ear telling him Mase is homie and should be doing all this for free but an actuality he was trying to take advantage of Cams relationship with one of the biggest stars in rap at the time....dude was trying to be cheap and get free look and keep that money for himself and the other execs/the label

Cosign.

It works like this; I charge you $50k to be in your video and your label pays it. Then you charge me $50k to be in my video and my label pays it.

We both get $50k from each other's label.

Former 112 member Q Parker, too, says he sides with the Grammy-nominated rapper. TMZ caught up with Q and asked him about the disagreement, and the singer said that all artists should be keenly aware of their contracts. "I get where Mason's coming from 'cause I'm in the same situation," he said. "I want the other half of my publishing back, too."

It's not an easy feat. "However, there's a contract that we signed when we were teenagers and legally he did nothing wrong," Q added. He said they received the "industry standards for back in the '90s. He's asking Puffy to make a personal and emotional decision, and I don't' know if he's gon' do that."

A Clive Davis's pre-Grammy gala, Diddy gave a speech scolding the academy for its rejection of hip hop music throughout the years. "Now, where I do think he was wrong was asking the academy to do something that he's not willing to do," Q said, adding that you
can't celebrate black greatness and be a shrewd businessman because "they're in conflict."

He catch them when the 18-19 years old

koncept...tell this to a 19 year old from the ghetto

get out yo time machine and stop projecting what these then kids should've been doing. You know shit dont work like that

I think we forget that when these contracts are offered, these kids are often looking at the opportunity of a lifetime that doesn't even seem real and might feel that they dont want to question the label and possibly lose their deal/dream. Another fact is that the crumbs that are being thrown at them early on seems like alot of money at the time, when in reality it is not. For example, 20k seems like a joke to mase now, but when he was broke and coming out the hood, it could've looked like a million dollars. My issue w the Mase and Lox situation is that they were w Ruff Ryders prior to signing with Puff. Figured they should've known or had people around w knowledge of entertainment contracts at the time.

I get it bro people should be smarter. But damn not to sound like moral Orel by why niggas can’t do right by their mans because they supposed too. Shouldn’t be no reason these folks broke but did all the work.

I'm not saying I agree w puff. But Charlemagne made a good point. He said that when puff bought Mase publishing, Mase wasn't a star. Puff took a gamble and made a business investment. Mase coulda tanked and flopped hard. Which means Puff coulda taken a loss. So if Mase flopped, does puff have the right to ask him for his money back. Is a dirty game. Charlemagne also said(not sure if true or not) that Puff restructured mase deal after the Harlem World album and gave him money up front. Mase retired while being Puff's biggest business entertainment asset and leaving bad boy without they biggest artist. Like I said, I dont agree w puff. But these are valid points.

There's really no right or wrong.

Record labels exist to make money. In most cases the A&R/record label exec is more business savvy than the artist. This means that getting 5% of what the label makes is more than 100% of what the artist can make without a label.

And as it's been stated, Puff took a gamble and won. But he could have taken a loss.

Back