OPINION XXL’s 2022 Freshman Class

My point was more about the skill of the MCs and the longevity and commercial and/or underground success the class of 2007 had...
I gotcha, thats a different conversation. I agree with you that rapping in general has fallen off. Tbh I been saying that new woman rappers are better than men rappers these days. They coming with more energy and more to prove, it's just their subject matter is alot people (most men) can't relate too.

Damn. The potential in this list was crazy. Papoose and Saigon were supposed to be the next heavyweights n bring the east coast back. Lupe had the jay-z and lupe co-sign. So much talent

I think Saigon was just a year of two late, rap was changing and getting to that 'new' phase where hardcore NY music was losing the backing from the higher ups and the South was getting the push... He still had some dope mixtapes and albums though, just not the commercial backing from the labels to be made a star... He could had been a 50, Jay or Nas like star with the backing and timing...

Funny, if Sai and Pap came about as new artists now/the last few years, especially Sai they would prolly do well with the resergence of NY hip hop...