Welcome To aBlackWeb

Wrong Era

Dwayne

Not Like Us
Do y’all feel sometimes you wish you could have been grown in a different era.

Being born in the late 80s I wish I could have been grown in the early 90s. My uncles and older cousins had the GOAT stores from that era.

Also late 60s era too when the Black Panthers was formed.

I grew up in the 80's and 90's and I'm grateful for it. I loved my childhood. I learned about the 60's and 70's from my parents, uncles and aunts

I loved my childhood and I love the era I grew up in

But a nigga wish he could have experienced that early 90s had a 24 year old beast lol

Probably the counter culture/summer of love hippie era of the late 60s. Folk rock was budding, funk was getting even funkier, leftist movements were burgeoning and women were as open as ever. the 70's had the best music though.

but im glad i grew up in an era decades removed from the ones i appreciate most culturally. there's so much to consume through music, film, art and books that it's like having a whole world at ur disposal all at once whenever u want it.

Last edited:
I’ve thought about how my life would of been like if I was born in 77 instead of 87. Not so much for selfish reasons but to see how my family was like back in the day.

Of course everyone thinks their era was the best.

But in terms of hip hop and rap. I was born in 1980....and 1992 to 1999 was the golden era in hip hip. I LOVED living thru that shit.

I remember when the chronic 1st dropped.
I remember the 1st time I heard dre day
I remember the 1st time I heard thuggish thuggish bone.
I remember paperboy's ditty ( I loved that song)
I remember when hit em up dropped n the impact it initially had.
I remember when doggystyle 1st dropped.
I remember the day i stood in line to buy life after death.
I remember at 1st not bein overly impressed w ready to die (then it grew on me n I fell in love w it)
I remember bein in champs sports store in DC n they played Never seen a man die. I remember the impact it had on me on the spot.
I remember 1st hearing po pimp.
I remember the day I saw kast playas ball vid on the box, then went and brought southernplaya... the next day. I can remember the visceral impact 1st hearing myintrotoletukno had on me.
I remember not really feeling Wu at 1st. Then growing to appreciate n like them
I remember the 1st time hearing money, cash hoes in the club. SHIT WAS WILD!
I remember my friend gave me the menace to society CD. Jus the CD n I was blown away by pocket full of stones. Since I didnt have the booklet, it wasnt till years later that I found out it was UGK. B4 that I didnt even kno who ugk were.
I remember being really sad the day Pac died. I was 16.
I remember 1st hearing cubes when will they shoot.
I remember the 1st time I heard smoking on hay
I remember buyin the source mag jus for the mic ratings
I remember the 1st time I heard smells like teen spirit on the radio and bein in awe. (It ain't rap, but ya kno)
I remember buyin me against the world and shed so many tears had me feeling some kinda way. Song spoke to me frfr
I remember 1st hearing bones days of our lives and being like "gaaaaaat damn!"

Yea @Dwayne.

92-99 for hip hop was goat imo. Living thru that n bein so young was cool af

Last edited:
Do y’all feel sometimes you wish you could have been grown in a different era.

Being born in the late 80s I wish I could have been grown in the early 90s. My uncles and older cousins had the GOAT stores from that era.

Also late 60s era too when the Black Panthers was formed.

When I was younger I used to think I wish I grew up in the 60s. But not no mo.

Dont let documentaries, news clips, movies n YouTube clips fool you. Shit was not sweet. Shit was ruff. Ppl think white ppl n cops dont give af today. Imagine the random ass whoopin's that were never on the news or caught on camera and murders by racist cops (still happens today but ya kno). That forced school integration shit wasnt easy. Niggas had it ruff. Sure there was the civil rights movement, but we know how it ended. Goin thru that musta been hell.

Of course everyone thinks their era was the best.

But in terms of hip hop and rap. I was born in 1980....and 1992 to 1999 was the golden era in hip hip. I LOVED living thru that shit.

I remember when the chronic 1st dropped.
I remember the 1st time I heard dre day
I remember the 1st time I heard thuggish thuggish bone.
I remember paperboy's dirty ( I loved that song)
I remember when hit em up dropped n the impact it initially had.
I remember when doggystyle 1st dropped.
I remember the day i stood in line to buy life after death.
I remember at 1st not bein overly impressed w ready to die (then it grew on me n I fell in love w it)
I remember bein in champs sports store in DC n they played Never seen a man die. I remember the impact it had on me on the spot.
I remember 1st hearing po pimp.
I remember the day I saw kast playas ball vid on the box, then went and brought southernplaya... the next day. I can remember the visceral impact 1st hearing myintrotoletukno had on me.
I remember not really feeling Wu at 1st. Then growing to appreciate n like them
I remember the 1st time hearing money, cash hoes in the club. SHIT WAS WILD!
I remember my friend gave me the menace to society CD. Jus the CD n I was blown away by pocket full of stones. Since I didnt have the booklet, it wasnt till years later that I found out it was UGK. B4 that I didnt even kno who ugk were.
I remember being really sad the day Pac died. I was 16.
I remember 1st hearing cubes when will they shoot.
I remember the 1st time I heard smoking on hay
I remember buyin the source mag jus for the mic ratings
I remember the 1st time I heard smells like teen spirit on the radio and bein in awe. (It ain't rap, but ya kno)
I remember buyin me against the world and shed so many tears had me feeling some kinda way. Song spoke to me frfr
I remember 1st hearing bones days of our lives and being like "gaaaaaat damn!"

Yea @Dwayne.

92-99 for hip hop was goat imo. Living thru that n bein so young was cool af

Fam, coming up in the 70's gives me a whole different perspective on hip hop.

Hearing Rappers Delight being played on the radio in '79
Experiencing the whole Hip Hop/Electro shits and how huge it was with Twilight 22, Newcleus, Man Parrish, Soulsonic Force, etc.
Living in a small GM town, seeing breakdancing on some TV news report one day, then going to school the next and everybody was trying their best to copy the shit in the hallways.
Watching the growth of hip hop first hand from Sugar Hill Gang to Eric B and Rakim
Living through the birth of conscious Hip Hop with joints like The Message, Hard Times, etc and later copping my first BDP and PE albums.
Watching every region make noise in the late 80's, ATL had Shy D, Houston had Ghetto Boys and Raheem, Miami had 2 Live Crew and MC ADE, Cali had their cats, Northwest had Mix-A-Lot and Kid Sensation, Chicago had KC Flightt and Twista, Detroit had Awesome Dre and Kaos and Mystro, etc.
Hip House was a real thing and damned near everybody had a House joint on their album or a House remix for their singles

Shit... And there was a lot more going on. Cats my age have a whole different take on hip hop watching it's birth.

Nah...growing up in Ja 80’s and being a teen and an early 20 yr old during tha 90’s was GREAT!!

I’d prolly be dead if I was born anytime during tha mid to late 90’s...25 yr old Word in 2021...I’d be in trouble lol

Back