Welcome To aBlackWeb

will smith latest GQ article doesnt sit right with activist

Words matter. Messaging matters.
Bill Maher, Obama, and Brilliant Idiots said the same thing about it.

And I'll admit when I first, FIRST heard it, I thought the same thing.

I'm over chastising other black people who are trying to get the to same place that I'm trying to get to, while taking a drastically different route. As long as our destination is the same and you aren't purposely trying to denigrate my route or stop me or hold us back as a people...we can engage and try to figure some shit out.

Words matter. Messaging matters.
Bill Maher, Obama, and Brilliant Idiots said the same thing about it.

And I'll admit when I first, FIRST heard it, I thought the same thing.

Those are people who just weren't listening. The concept of defunding the police was explained from the very beginning. The problem is that other people also started promoting the abolishment of the police around the same time. Bad actors conflated the two things as a way of trying to shoot both down. I don't really agree with the idea of abolishing the police though I do believe there are places where the departments need to start over from ground zero. However, if you understand exactly what people mean when they say defund the police, you'd probably agree that it's something that should absolutely be done.

Those are people who just weren't listening. The concept of defunding the police was explained from the very beginning. The problem is that other people also started promoting the abolishment of the police around the same time. Bad actors conflated the two things as a way of trying to shoot both down. I don't really agree with the idea of abolishing the police though I do believe there are places where the departments need to start over from ground zero. However, if you understand exactly what people mean when they say defund the police, you'd probably agree that it's something that should absolutely be done.
Yup,
I really hate explaining this conversation you know where police isn"defunded" white neighborhoods.. also if people looked at the police budgets ....as compared to the money allocated elsewhere their minds would be blown...

Think defense budget its the same concept

The concept wasn't the problem.

It was the phrase.

Basically, the phrase.........on the surface...........seems pretty self-explanatory.

So all people who opposed it had to do was repeat the phrase to give people the impression that the movement was meant to get rid of the police.............instead of being a movement to re-allocate funds (that would normally go to the police) to community programs that would help prevent the underlying problems that cause crime.

The concept wasn't the problem.

It was the phrase.

Basically, the phrase.........on the surface...........seems pretty self-explanatory.

So all people who opposed it had to do was repeat the phrase to give people the impression that the movement was meant to get rid of the police.............instead of being a movement to re-allocate funds (that would normally go to the police) to community programs that would help prevent the underlying problems that cause crime.
People played obtuse.. they use defund as a ploy and a scare tactic to stay the course...🤷🏾‍♂️

Folks was saying defund and ABOLISH which is a drastic difference.

Abolish the police had a lot of steam behind it and folks capitalized on it and ran with it

Some of us on here and millions of Twitter was saying abolish.

That’s where the shot took a wrong turn and folks couldn’t get behind it all the way.

Words have meanings and we gotta use the right ones

Last edited:
People played obtuse.. they use defund as a ploy and a scare tactic to stay the course...🤷🏾‍♂️

Exactly.

The problem is.........it's actually working.

So much so that any reform that might've taken place as a result of this movement is now dead in the water.

You literally just explained why words matter and why messaging matters my friend

You literally just explained why words matter and why messaging matters my friend

I don't disagree with you that messaging matters. My contention comes because I believe a lot of people who were pushing the Defund the Police slogan were clear about what they meant. It's not their fault that others co-opted their saying or tried to argue against their saying in bad faith.

I'm surprised he chose a role like Richard Williams since the man hated white people and he was willing to be the villain in order to protect his daughters. The rest of the interview interesting but definitely disagree with his views on police defunding.

The actual slogan "defund the police" gets more attention than the actual substance of what's being asked.

I was watching the HBO Spike Lee doc on Covid/9/11 and he had a woman on there talking about it took a "bad" slogan to actually effect more progress than had been sought for decades.

So while some think it hurt the cause it actually helped.

The actual slogan "defund the police" gets more attention than the actual substance of what's being asked.

I was watching the HBO Spike Lee doc on Covid/9/11 and he had a woman on there talking about it took a "bad" slogan to actually effect more progress than had been sought for decades.

So while some think it hurt the cause it actually helped.
Found the clip it was Cori Bush but the whole vid worth it

I don't have the same interpretation of his words that they do.

From what I hear, he's not saying appeal to them with more docile language. He's saying manipulate them with loaded language.

Make your rhetoric and mission so precise that any attempts to refute seem foolish. Cover all your bases so that there is no room for dog whistles, or misdirection or side stepping questions. Make a claim so direct and above the belt, that they have no corner to hide into and it's blatantly obvious.

It's as if you're suing someone who called you an n-word, sure you can call them on it and rely on witnesses to do the right thing and admit they heard it, or if you have it on camera there's no room to weasel out of it.

Though with his money and notoriety this plan seems so viable, not everyone can sit in patience and play this game.
People don’t care what he really meant, they don’t actually understand how things work. They only comprehend how they want things to work….like a teenager would do

Abolish the police was said by some big name and big time activist.

Of course it was never gon work

I don't disagree with you that messaging matters. My contention comes because I believe a lot of people who were pushing the Defund the Police slogan were clear about what they meant. It's not their fault that others co-opted their saying or tried to argue against their saying in bad faith.
If the slogan was clear and more specific there would be no other way to take it. I apologize brother monk, but these are the facts. You can argue if you want, but I can not join you on this journey. May you have a blessed day

Back