Welcome To aBlackWeb

will smith latest GQ article doesnt sit right with activist

I don't have the same interpretation of his words that they do.

From what I hear, he's not saying appeal to them with more docile language. He's saying manipulate them with loaded language.

Make your rhetoric and mission so precise that any attempts to refute seem foolish. Cover all your bases so that there is no room for dog whistles, or misdirection or side stepping questions. Make a claim so direct and above the belt, that they have no corner to hide into and it's blatantly obvious.

It's as if you're suing someone who called you an n-word, sure you can call them on it and rely on witnesses to do the right thing and admit they heard it, or if you have it on camera there's no room to weasel out of it.

Though with his money and notoriety this plan seems so viable, not everyone can sit in patience and play this game.

And yes it’s wack to not call it critical race theory and some truth shit.
But honestly we gotta view black celebrities as exactly what they are. Celebrities. We expect them to kinda understand but at the end of the day they won’t

"and there's a certain humility that will most capitalize on the moment......"

That's cool and all but humility isn't what's getting people to these moments

I honestly think the phrase ain’t hurt shit. Them folks had no plan on any police reform
I feel there was a slim chance of getting something done, and ll that damn near evaporated when "defund the police" chants started. Soon as that happened Police PR were smiling and started the whole "omg or funding is gone and crime is rampant now", and white people fell right in line. Now any time they talk about the protests, its mainly about how they wanted to defund the police, smh.

I've been saying for years, if we want to get anything done in this country, we need to quietly sneak it in and do it, just like racist whites. But instead we always have people that care more about getting tv time/clicks, somehow appointing themselves as leaders and running their mouths telling everything.

He's right in that there's a portion of younger activist who don't get that these ideas and movements do have to have some form of "marketing" behind them. And not in the sense of seeing commercials on TV but just in how they're presented when being spoken about so yes in that sense language does matter.

This is what I mean when I've said in pervious threads that while all people may want the same end goal everybody don't have the same skill sets so it's best to go where needed. And there is a public relations aspect to any social justice movement that must be acknowledged and dealt with in order to not only get it moving off the ground floor but to sustain and grow.

I agree with a lot of what he said tho. That "defund the police" slogan was horrible and it did more harm than good. That legit gave racists the ammo to fuck up the movement and fearmonger white people.

Yep.

Ever since people started talking about defunding the police............Republicans have been running on a platform of rampant crime.

Basically, fearmongering white people into thinking they won't be safe unless they have people in office who are tough on crime.

And we know who's gonna get the worst of it when police get "tough on crime".......whether we're engaging in criminal activity or not.

Back