Why y'all niggas scurred to be great?

good post.......resources.

where are they supposed to come from? the system and people who hate us?

why arent more of us creating our own infrastructure? its a lot of black owned businesses...and black women are killing it with entrepreneurship. they are leading the charge more than any other group.

i see that black women stand together, support each other and lean on each others, financially, emotionally and spiritually. i totally understand why a lot of women feel like they do and feel the need to do it on their own......to get resources.

they are freeing themselves to a certain degree.

and let me add......that it is alot of people going back into the community to give resources....but it be hating ass dudes that often make it harder to bring them resources back.

most people i know dont want to just write a check and be done.

we got a whole lot of fixing

Well 1st it's gotta be acknowledged that we are essentially the 1st generation to break away from the identity politics narrative of "Dress right, speak correctly and you'll find a way to make it" that many older folks hammered into our generation. Shit I still remember when I graduated college being told "You wont get a good job with your beard. You gotta shave." Even shit as simple as that has been beat into the minds of people and we are just now rejecting that shit. So while there has been progress made alot of us are still dealing with the dichotomy of being successful being just ourselves vs being successful by having to put up a front of who we really are to navigate the world. And until some more time passes and people figure out more then alot of people freeing themselves now wont have the exact pathway completely figured out on how to transfer that new knowledge to the next generation

• Goat
Reactions: DOS_patos
and its people currently working to get wifi sticks to the people who cant afford it so the kids can compete.

And until those sticks get there then those kids will continue to lag behind...due to no fault of their own of course but it ain't as simple as "well just go to the local library" like it's being said in here...

Reactions: DOS_patos
at the end of the day.....bootstraps seems like talking down but its not.

its about perspective.

most people on this site have a job, car and place to live they pay for.....so all those people pulled themselves up by the bootstraps.
just because thats not what you call it doesnt mean thats not what it is.
to think thats not something to be proud of....i can take anyone to places where thats not an option.

I have all those things...but I know I didnt pull myself up. I had help as did many others. The entire narrative of "I pulled myself up" is a lie because unless you're literally doing everything on your own by yourself and are completely self taught then you had somebody reach out to you. When you started your business did you not consult with others who were already successful on how to start? Did you never read any books? Take any meetings? Or did you do it all on your own and figure everything out on the fly?

There's a difference between a reason and an excuse. You can not believe it all you want but a simple google search will tell you that not everyone has as easy access to these things as you believe. Thats just the reality of life. You talk about throwing out shackles instead of breaking away when you wont even acknowledge they exist and how all people aren't provided the same access to the tools needed to break free from them. You cant want to help people but ignore the circumstances they actually need help from.
not sure if you meant to place in in the quote...but i do understand the lack of certain things and if i am telling people to do a and b.....i need to help provide too and not just be about talk.

this is group effort.

no matter what people think...i do believe in trying to meet people in the middle or even 75% if i talk all the step up talk.

and sadly just recently i was down north (philly slang) talking to some youngins and they all was clowning and what not about what i was saying.....two hours later my lil cousin was shot twice in the head and died.......two hours later. them same dudes that was clowning.......reached out to me because they are tired and cant really express t the way they want because of fear of ridicule.....now they called me out and i now need to step up like i was asking from them. if i dont do what i can and stand by what i said....i failed them like so many others. but i had to lose my family for others to see me as a way out.

each call was very humbling.
while honored i also feel the pressure of doing right by them. but i can not complain because they have a lot to complain about and i must respect that.
im not perfect or the end all so i reach out to others who are better equipped to ask for help to be sure i am doing right.

i say all this to say....we all need each other.

And until those sticks get there then those kids will continue to lag behind...due to no fault of their own of course but it ain't as simple as "well just go to the local library" like it's being said in here...
they closed alot of libraries in philly. so i can agree here.

Reactions: BlackRain
There's a difference between a reason and an excuse. You can not believe it all you want but a simple google search will tell you that not everyone has as easy access to these things as you believe. Thats just the reality of life. You talk about throwing out shackles instead of breaking away when you wont even acknowledge they exist and how all people aren't provided the same access to the tools needed to break free from them. You cant want to help people but ignore the circumstances they actually need help from.

I said nearly bro. I don't have the stats, but I'll put money the stats say over 75% of towns in the U.S. have a library or center where a person can go and read books or get on the Internet. That's a start right there. Instead of sitting around crying about what's not available, figure out a way. This is the very topic the OP is bringing up. You are too focused on the glass being half-empty instead of seeing the glass as half-full.

not sure if you meant to place in in the quote...but i do understand the lack of certain things and if i am telling people to do a and b.....i need to help provide too and not just be about talk.

this is group effort.

no matter what people think...i do believe in trying to meet people in the middle or even 75% if i talk all the step up talk.

and sadly just recently i was down north (philly slang) talking to some youngins and they all was clowning and what not about what i was saying.....two hours later my lil cousin was shot twice in the head and died.......two hours later. them same dudes that was clowning.......reached out to me because they are tired and cant really express t the way they want because of fear of ridicule.....now they called me out and i now need to step up like i was asking from them. if i dont do what i can and stand by what i said....i failed them like so many others. but i had to lose my family for others to see me as a way out.

while honored i also feel the pressure of doing right by them. but i can not complain because they have a lot to complain about and i must respect that.
im not perfect or the end all so i reach out to others who are better equipped to ask for help to be sure i am doing right.

Sorry to hear about your fam bro. Streets are brutal out here.

I have all those things...but I know I didnt pull myself up. I had help as did many others. The entire narrative of "I pulled myself up" is a lie because unless you're literally doing everything on your own by yourself and are completely self taught then you had somebody reach out to you. When you started your business did you not consult with others who were already successful on how to start? Did you never read any books? Take any meetings? Or did you do it all on your own and figure everything out on the fly?
i got help and thats why i am trying to be a help.

a person must also be open to help. some dont know what it looks like...some dont trust...
but others may need to understand how to help and listen.

it goes both ways.

i get all that and i am sensitive to it.....but what im not sensitive to tough talk and not doing anything for the community. i can adimt that.
i had a very good mentor........took his time when needed and checked me when needed. he was an open book as i needed to be.

but he also saw my potential as i see in others.
but i also needed to be ready to listen.......trust and do my part.

the story is deep and we dont need to get into it here........

this is group effort.

1st thing before anything condolences to you and your fam. Losing a loved one to violence will always hurt. But you hit on a very important point that people don't often dive deep enough into which is if you're gonna tell someone or a group to abandon a certain mentality or way of living without offering a viable alternative then you cant be shocked if the tune you out.

I said nearly bro. I don't have the stats, but I'll put money the stats say over 75% of towns in the U.S. have a library or center where a person can go and read books or get on the Internet. That's a start right there. Instead of sitting around crying about what's not available, figure out a way. This is the very topic the OP is bringing up. You are too focused on the glass being half-empty instead of seeing the glass as half-full.

I'm focused on the half empty because you cant ignore it. Acknowledging where people's different starting points are isnt sitting around crying it's being aware that you cant help everybody the same way. That's a huge issue alot of people who wanna help others find themselves battling. Often times you, a general you not you specifically, want to help people the way you think is best instead of what is actually best for the person you're looking out for. You cant sit and tell a kid who has no consistent internet access "Its easy. Just hop online and read everything you want" when they have no idea how to research properly. No idea of who exactly to look for as an expert in whatever field they're interested in etc. There's no one size fits all solution and the way the OP is presenting this is oversimplified and doesnt address the myriad of ways that a person may need to be helped in order to become the self sufficient person he's saying they can become.

They're closing school after school in alot of places. In more rural areas access to something as simple as consistent internet access isnt a sure thing. Shit even video game companies had to address this issue for online game play. You think it's not affecting these kids actual quality of education and knowledge they're exposed to? There's no one size fits all solution and as @DOS_patos said often times its gonna take a mentor or group of mentors who can dedicate time and resources on a micro level vs a blanket solution that won't address all the ills in many people's communities

Last edited:
1st thing before anything condolences to you and your fam. Losing a loved one to violence will always hurt. But you hit on a very important point that people don't often dive deep enough into which is if you're gonna tell someone or a group to abandon a certain mentality or way of living without offering a viable alternative then you cant be shocked if the tune you out.
thanks bruh. i appreciate it.

it kinda had me f'ed up a bit. he was only 18.
but i took it as an opportunity to help someone else. i had to make different moves..
plan differently.

• Goat
thanks bruh. i appreciate it.

it kinda had me f'ed up a bit. he was only 18.
but i took it as an opportunity to help someone else. i had to make different moves..
plan differently.

Sometimes loss can spur someone on to do more than ever thought they could. You're ambitious enough that I feel like you're gonna take that path and you'll be able to help pull up many others along the way. You're trait of not accepting things as they are and constantly working towards how you want them to be is an admirable trait. A trait that more need to have to be honest...and being aware that not everybody has that trait but it can be learned is a good thing.

Sometimes loss can spur someone on to do more than ever thought they could. You're ambitious enough that I feel like you're gonna take that path and you'll be able to help pull up many others along the way. You're trait of not accepting things as they are and constantly working towards how you want them to be is an admirable trait. A trait that more need to have to be honest...and being aware that not everybody has that trait but it can be learned is a good thing.
True.
Real talk, most people will tell you I push others hard because I'm only as successful as the poorest in my community.

If you dont make it i can't say I made it. Plus I'll do what I can without asking for anything in return.

Wait thats a lie. I ask those I help to succeed and that they repay me by helping someone behind them

I want us all to have enough money to have options.

Not saying it will fix anything...But it's an idea

Reactions: Scandalust313
this is false......i have seen people change when they want to change.
i think some people need incentive. some need guidance and some need someone to believe in them.

i often reach out to teachers and people who work with kids and most will say that kids need support.

to grow up with no one believing in you can do tons of damage. then place on top of that the environment and then the shit white people do......

shit can crush a lot of people.

thats why we dont need all this division. we all black to white people.

"when they want to change" means there are people who don't thus they conform and let things happen.
Why? Because "shit can crush a lot of people" and so it's easier to do so for them.
"No one believing in you, the type of enviroment, and shit white people do" can all be results of anti-black racism.
"Shit can crush people" is why some folks default to what's easier for them. They're scared of failure.
You said my statement was false, but the underlined shows we're saying the same thing.

And my post had nothing to do with division.