Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Why is being politically correct a bad thing?

Bluntly? No, and I expect the same in return. I don't expect anyone to take me seriously if I can't explain to them why I'm offended at something.

The chick with dwarfism basically said "We don't like that term anymore because it was used as a way to describe us in freak shows".

Simple, elegant, straight to the point. That simple sentence was enough of an explanation that we didn't need to engage beyond that, though we did have about a five minute discussion about the topic.

The kid with Down's Syndrome said something to the effect of them having a genetic disability that makes learning hard but they still have feelings like other people (I'm trying to remember all of it, this happened back in '94)

If someone with an intellectual disability can articulate why referring to them as "retarded" is offensive, no one else really has an excuse; at least in my mind anyways.

You continue to prove my point.

Whoever mentioned the status quo changing thing is dead on.

Some white ppl feel their world is being warped and substituted enough to represent an attack on their culture and traditions.

So when political correctness comes along to serve the very same minority groups who are most prone to attacks on decency and yet whose culture and representation are exploding onto the whitewashed scene, white ppl (usually conservatives) can conveniently conflate their exaggerated despair of white cultural decline with the supposedly unfair utilization of political correctness to provide minorities with a path to subversive thought and action without criticism.

But there's no conspiracy going on. We've got a voice and a will and we're using it.

Am I arrogant for expecting someone to explain something or are they arrogant for believing they don't have to?

One has an overly inflated sense of self importance when they believe they never have to explain anything to anyone. That, fam, is pure arrogance.

But at what point is an explanation not needed if a white dude asked you why bigger is offensive are you really going to explain or should he know better

But at what point is an explanation not needed if a white dude asked you why bigger is offensive are you really going to explain or should he know better

Some things are so steeped into the public consciousness to the point where if you're still using it, you're doing so just to be an asshole. Nigger is one such word.

"Midget", believe it or not, isn't. Not everyone knows that people with dwarfism take offense to that word much less why they would be offended, so an explanation is needed.

Some things are so steeped into the public consciousness to the point where if you're still using it, you're doing so just to be an asshole. Nigger is one such word.

"Midget", believe it or not, isn't. Not everyone knows that people with dwarfism take offense to that word much less why they would be offended, so an explanation is needed.

Lol no I mean we grown how you not know midget is offensive how could somebody not know retarded was offensive when it’s used as an insult even in 1994. We learned this in school

Lol no I mean we grown how you not know midget is offensive how could somebody not know retarded was offensive when it’s used as an insult even in 1994. We learned this in school

You'd be surprised.

And "Mental retardation" was still a medical term into the 2000's. Even the AAMR didn't change their organization's name until 2007. Folks didn't know, especially back in '94 when that being offensive was a fairly new concept.

Back