Welcome To aBlackWeb

Why has the black community still been unable to rid itself of the deification of parents?

Does this really happen? Only group of ppl I know still do this to pathetically capitulating levels are Asians. "Tiger parents" thing had a high-school girl near my city hire hitmen on her own parents. Chick snapped. Obviously this is an extreme case. Most give in to the parental pressure, sometimes out of undue respect and fealty, and stress the fuck out of themselves in the process. There's love and care and then there's just tyrannical parenting that's completely sapped of it.

Last edited:
Yes , folks have less respect for elders and everybody else
I think many of yall misread the question. The question is asking why people dont check their parents who are disrespectful and abusive. Also, why they will never do anything that their family doesnt approve of.

I don't think there's ever been a point that parents in the Black community have been elevated to the status of "deity". Well respected? Yes, and that's not a bad thing.

I think many of yall misread the question. The question is asking why people dont check their parents who are disrespectful and abusive. Also, why they will never do anything that their family doesnt approve of.

I think we're long past the days of not doing things the fam disapproves of. I'd say that went out the door during the crack era. It seems as if most folks born in the late 80's/early 90's don't give two shits about what their family thinks about anything.

I meant to quote a person and respond to them but after I posted without the Wooten I said fuck it and just gave my views on respect as a whole

People that respect their elders to a fault, respect their elders rightfully so because it takes a certain amount of involvement in someone’s life to accrue that level of respect.

I absolutely don’t give one fuck what my mother or father has to say. My grandparents opinions hold no weight to me, and I wish an Aunt or Uncle call themselves tryna check me.

Same time, I’d give up all that autonomy up to have had elders who had significant involvement in mylife. A lot of People have had blessings for so long, or it has been all they have known, that they don’t even know it’s a blessing, or how it work within it.

I don't think there's ever been a point that parents in the Black community have been elevated to the status of "deity". Well respected? Yes, and that's not a bad thing.

I think we're long past the days of not doing things the fam disapproves of. I'd say that went out the door during the crack era. It seems as if most folks born in the late 80's/early 90's don't give two shits about what their family thinks about anything.
The black community does not include just African Americans. Why are people forgetting that?

Does this really happen? Only group of ppl I know still do this to pathetically capitulating levels are Asians. "Tiger parents" thing had a high-school girl near my city hire hitmen on her own parents. Chick snapped. Obviously this is an extreme case. Most give in to the parental pressure, sometimes out of undue respect and fealty, and stress the fuck out of themselves in the process. There's love and care and then there's just tyrannical parenting that's completely sapped of it.
I know plenty of black people who still act like this.

The black community does not include just African Americans. Why are people forgetting that?

When you say "The Black Community" on a site comprised primarily of Black Americans, it is then assumed we're talking about "The Black Community" as it pertains to us here in America. Now, had you said "The African Diaspora", THEN it would be clear that this discussion is about Black folks around the world regardless of country. Even then, we can only speak from what we know, therefore our responses would STILL be localized to our experiences here in the Unites States.

When you say "The Black Community" on a site comprised primarily of Black Americans, it is then assumed we're talking about "The Black Community" as it pertains to us here in America. Now, had you said "The African Diaspora", THEN it would be clear that this discussion is about Black folks around the world regardless of country. Even then, we can only speak from what we know, therefore our responses would STILL be localized to our experiences here in the Unites States.
It’s not just the African Diaspora. It is also common among Caribbeans and I have seen African Americans online have the same mentality

It’s not just the African Diaspora. It is also common among Caribbeans and I have seen African Americans online have the same mentality

"The African Diaspora" includes Black folks from the Caribbean, Belize, Guyana, Brazil, Russia, China, India, The UK, etc. All Black people everywhere, regardless of where they are today, are a part of the African Diaspora.

"The African Diaspora" includes Black folks from the Caribbean, Belize, Guyana, Brazil, Russia, China, India, The UK, etc. All Black people everywhere, regardless of where they are today, are a part of the African Diaspora.
The original commenter I responded too specifically said “African diaspora” leaving out a huge chunk of the black community, hence my response clarifying.

The original commenter I responded too specifically said “African diaspora” leaving out a huge chunk of the black community, hence my response clarifying.

The African Diaspora encompasses ALL Black folks across the globe. There was no need to "include" anyone as it's understood that the term "African Diaspora" automatically includes Black people from the Caribbean as it does Black folks anywhere else you may find us.

The African Diaspora encompasses ALL Black folks across the globe. There was no need to "include" anyone as it's understood that the term "African Diaspora" automatically includes Black people from the Caribbean as it does Black folks anywhere else you may find us.
Must be a regional thing as this is not so where I’m from.

Must be a regional thing as this is not so where I’m from.

Which also illustrates my first sentence:

When you say "The Black Community" on a site comprised primarily of Black Americans, it is then assumed we're talking about "The Black Community" as it pertains to us here in America.

Here Stateside (and prolly in Canada as well), the term "African Diaspora" means what I laid out earlier.

Similarly, "the Black community" means Black folks here in America to those of us that are from the USA. So, it's not that we "forgot" about any other communities, it wasn't addressed in a manner we're accustomed to because where we're from the greater global Black community is referred to as the African Diaspora.

Which also illustrates my first sentence:

Here Stateside (and prolly in Canada as well), the term "African Diaspora" means what I laid out earlier.

Similarly, "the Black community" means Black folks here in America to those of us that are from the USA. So, it's not that we "forgot" about any other communities, it wasn't addressed in a manner we're accustomed to because where we're from the greater global Black community is referred to as the African Diaspora.
That is not true as I’ve seen African Americans talk about the black community online, to include black people worldwide. I believe you may be seeing things from your perspective and then generalising in inaccurate ways.

Back