Welcome To aBlackWeb

When would you allow your child to have a cellphone?

EleanorDeWitt

Lady El
Mod Squad
What age/grade have you or will you allow your child to have a cell phone? Will you allow them to carry it everywhere, even school? Does your child's school allow cell phones and if they don't will you still allow them to carry one?

Discuss.

What age/grade have you or will you allow your child to have a cell phone? Will you allow them to carry it everywhere, even school? Does your child's school allow cell phones and if they don't will you still allow them to carry one?

Discuss.
My son has one and he is 7. He only takes it with him when he goes to his dads house or grandparents house. My job allows phones but they can't be out til the end of the day.

My son has one and he is 7. He only takes it with him when he goes to his dads house or grandparents house. My job allows phones but they can't be out til the end of the day.
My son has a phone but he only uses it for the apps when his tablet dies. It's not turned on and I'm debating if I want to. It'd be nice if I could get a hold of him at school, but I can see him using it when he shouldn't be. Idk he's 8 now, his friends steady calling me or his dad cause we don't have a house phone. I'm leaning toward turning his phone on. But..
I work at a school btw.
My son's school allows phones, but the one I work at doesnt.

My son has a phone but he only uses it for the apps when his tablet dies. It's not turned on and I'm debating if I want to. It'd be nice if I could get a hold of him at school, but I can see him using it when he shouldn't be. Idk he's 8 now, his friends steady calling me or his dad cause we don't have a house phone. I'm leaning toward turning his phone on. But..

My son's school allows phones, but the one I work at doesnt.

I got my sons phone because he likes to call the family and his dad a lot and I just be sitting there waiting to use MY phone. I just don't think I can trust him taking it to school yet.

The age of 8 is old enough. With my oldest 3 that's the age they got them, when they get out of school me or my wife can call while they walking home and talk to them to make sure they doing doing the alarm system right to get in the house.

when they old enough to be home alone....

if you're in the care of an adult, it's the adult's responsibility to contact me...when you on your own, that's when you get your phone
I hear you but.. What if the adult takes awhile?

For instance, my son goes to his Papa's house on occasion for the weekend and his Papa takes forever to answer or call back. Those times I wish my son had a phone. Am I being impatient or should I get him a phone so I can talk to him ASAP?

For instance, my son goes to his Papa's house on occasion for the weekend and his Papa takes forever to answer or call back. Those times I wish my son had a phone. Am I being impatient or should I get him a phone so I can talk to him ASAP?

I would, it can be something important and you need to get in contact with them.

when they old enough to be home alone....

if you're in the care of an adult, it's the adult's responsibility to contact me...when you on your own, that's when you get your phone
I don't have kids, but this.
They don't need a phone until they are allowed to be unsuprovised.

then he can't go with papa if tat dude ain't answering the phone....

i done leant on multiple family members and put their asses on restrictions if they can't properly communicate

I say 8 if the grades right and the kid is responsible. The problem I have with this is the parents being irresponsible and not checking their kids history.

When they can pay a bill

Say word!

The hell you need a cell phone for? You gonna see your friends at school. If you wanna talk to your friends after school, then take yo azzz outside and go play wit them. But you ain't about to get that and break it up. Nope.

We ain't had that growing up and we turned out fine. Maybe when they get older into their teenage years. When they'll be a tad bit more responsible...and can get a JOB.

Last edited:
Welp, I decided.. He needs a phone for the same reason I do, so I can get in contact with him when I need to. He goes to his friends house, his Papa's. It'd be easier to contact him directly than having to call his friends parents or his grandpa whos just not tryna be on the phone. @Dupacalypse I feel you on not letting him go if Papa slow to get back but that's the only way he can see his cousin's, so he's going.

I'm surprised how many people think kids are irresponsible with phones. I was 12 when I got my first cell, and I took very good care of my Nokia. That thing was my baby. They treat their phones like money too from what I seen. My son's phone is well taken care of and he's had it for awhile. Same goes for his tablet, his computer, his Xbox etc. They take care of the stuff they care about.

I'm gonna go ahead and turn that on. I'll feel better next time he's out and about like that. If he breaks it being irresponsible, then he's got his own money, and he can buy another one.

Why people keep saying they need a job? Lol ya'll gonna make your kids buy their own clothes too? Damn.

Kids are stupid as hell. I would never buy my kid a cell phone. They can get a job at 14 and go get their own.

My son is 12 and have one but I monitor the hell out of it
My son's Google account is linked to mine so I see everything he's doing from my own phone. Searches, what he watches on YouTube, his apps, everything. All that boy cares about is Pokemon, Roblox, and dance music. But he's 8. In 4 years, all his friendsll have phones too, they'll be texting and what not. Noooooooooooo :(

Back