Welcome To aBlackWeb

What Is Pop Music?

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
What's your definition of pop music?

Everybody on the podcast disagreed with Joe, but I agree. In my opinion Pop is just some shit white people made up for non black artists who steal do black music. That's it. Later "pop music" was also when a black artist made a song that crossed over to white america. That still doesn't make the song itself pop.

What are your thoughts?

Pop is that shit that is produced for mass consumption.

Its tryn to cast the biggest net to catch the most ears.

U know it when u see it or hear it. Easy to spot and generally female friendly.

This is the song that started the debate.

Is this song pop or rnb/hiphop?

Yeah...I never really thought about it like that...I just thought pop music was ā€œpopularā€ music made with the intentions of pleasing different groups of fans who wouldnā€™t normally cross paths...basically music manufactured by ā€œthemā€ with lyrics, beats and content that can be enjoyed by tha masses

Iā€™d say this is pop because J Lo is a pop artist that may have ā€œsinging and dancingā€ skills but not tha artist skill to get across her own perspectives...so an engine got behind her and gave her lyrics to sing to get money

A song can be hip hop and pop... Thats most of Drakes music. Or Ja Rules songs w/ ashanti.

There are also pop country songs...

There are pop rock songs...

Iā€™d say this is pop because J Lo is a pop artist that may have ā€œsinging and dancingā€ skills but not tha artist skill to get across her own perspectives...so an engine got behind her and gave her lyrics to sing to get money

You're talking about the person and aesthetics, i'm talkin about the music.

That's a hip hop beat, with hip hop drums, rnb sample, rap verses
tenor.gif

It's a hip hop record. If keyshia cole was singing on it instead of j.lo, they would've called it hip hop and rnb.

I think pop music is determined by the intent when the song was made. Like brittany spears, nsync and all that 90s bullshit was all made for the purpose of selling as much as possible. Following formulas and trends that work.

I do not think race determines if its pop or not

Omarion and Justin Timberlake could make the exact same record, Omarion's would be on the RnB charts and Justin's would be on the Pop charts.

Omarion and Justin Timberlake could make the exact same record, Omarion's would be on the RnB charts and Justin's would be on the Pop charts.
Thats bcuz Omarion is in the R&B box he is comfortable with but Justin is from a Boy Band, links with Timbaland, and puts out shitty country albums... Hes versitile... Hes pop

Thats bcuz Omarion is in the R&B box he is comfortable with but Justin is from a Boy Band, links with Timbaland, and puts out shitty country albums... Hes versitile... Hes pop

What the fuck does that even mean? lol So because omarion is known for rnb he can't make a "pop" record? That doesn't even make sense.

One is black so it's rnb and the other is white. White mfs been doing this shit since elvis.

What the fuck does that even mean? lol So because omarion is known for rnb he can't make a "pop" record? That doesn't even make sense.

One is black so it's rnb and the other is white. White mfs been doing this shit since elvis.
JT is a pop artist.

His music will be deemed pop.

Im not sure whats hard to overstand.

I will watch Buttons clip to get a better idea i guess

Sooooo we basing this all off Joe Buddens dad saying Motown wasnt pop?

Hitsville USA?

Motown was glossy soul. Its even documented in films about that era.

Yes motown was pop

You're talking about the person and aesthetics, i'm talkin about the music.

That's a hip hop beat, with hip hop drums, rnb sample, rap verses
tenor.gif

It's a hip hop record. If keyshia cole was singing on it instead of j.lo, they would've called it hip hop and rnb.

Iā€™ll be honest my nigga...didnā€™t even play tha song but I saw it was J Lo and figured it was a joint she did wit Ja Rule...and I just consider J Lo a pop artist and Ja Rule went thru a hip-pop artist phase...like I said I donā€™t even really think about it as much as yā€™all have because I simply consider pop music as soulless, manufactured music that anybody who can sing, dance or has an over amount of charisma can pull off...ion want no smoke my G

:mybad:

Back