Welcome To aBlackWeb

What happened to Lauren smith fields?

Race Jones

gangster. grace. alchemy
5808019F-4617-4CF2-81FB-5923E8D70293.jpeg

On December 12, 2021, a 23-year-old Black woman named Lauren Smith-Fields was found dead in her apartment in Bridgeport, Connecticut, after a Bumble date. In the month and a half since her death, her family has insisted that her case was not taken seriously and police bungled the investigation. This week, her death was ruled an accidental overdose, but her family still has questions, and they’ve announced that they plan to sue the city of Bridgeport for being “racially insensitive” and failing to properly investigate her death.

Smith-Fields’s case is far from the first time a Black woman’s death has failed to receive the resources, attention, and public concern generally reserved for white victims. Smith-Fields’s family’s lawyer, Darnell Crosland, has cited the case of Gabby Petito, a white 22-year-old influencer who disappeared and was eventually confirmed to have died during a trip she took with her boyfriend in September. The families of missing Black and Indigenous women have argued that Petito’s case — and those of white women like her — receive far more media attention than is given to women like Smith-Fields.

While her family awaits the results of an independent autopsy, Bridgeport has also opened a criminal investigation into Smith-Fields’s death concerning the involvement of fentanyl. Here’s what we know so far.

Smith-Fields had a Bumble date the night she died.

Smith-Fields was found unresponsive in the early morning of December 12, after a 37-year-old white man named Matthew LaFountain called 911. LaFountain had been on a date with Smith-Fields the previous night and claims that when he woke up that morning, she was lying on her right side not breathing, with blood dripping from her nose.

In LaFountain’s account, he recalls arriving at Smith-Fields’s apartment around 9:30 p.m the night before; he said the two had matched on Bumble three days prior. He claims she asked him for $40 to do her nails and told him to meet at her house with a bottle of tequila. Per LaFountain, they drank tequila before playing games, having food, and watching a movie. At one point, he says, she went to the bathroom to throw up, and at another point he says she went outside to get something from her brother and then went to the bathroom for 10 to 15 minutes. The police report says that LaFountain found it “odd, but didn’t feel it was his place to say anything as he didn’t know her that well.” He claims that she fell asleep during the movie and he carried her into the bedroom and slept next to her, and that he woke up at 3 a.m. to go to the bathroom and heard her snoring. Then, at 6:30 a.m., he woke up to find her not breathing. She was pronounced dead at 6:59 a.m., and a medic said she had not been alive for “at least an hour.”

LaFountain, who the incident report says was “frantic” and “visibly shaken,” was not taken into custody. As of January 26, he has not been named as a person of interest, nor was he detained at the station for questioning. Smith-Fields’s brother was later told they didn’t bring him in because he seemed like a “nice guy.”

Police didn’t contact her family, nor did they immediately examine the crime scene.

No one in Smith-Fields’s family was notified of her death; per Rolling Stone, police spoke to her landlord when they arrived at the scene, but were unable to track down contact information for her family. Her mother, Shantall Fields, says she went to her daughter’s apartment a day and a half later when she hadn’t answered texts and calls and found a note on the door that said, “If you are looking for Lauren, please contact this number.” Upon calling the number, Fields was notified of her daughter’s death and told that the detective assigned to the case would be there in half an hour. After waiting over an hour, she says she called the number again and was told to stop calling before being hung up on.

The police didn’t do a crime-scene investigation until later that week, when the case was reassigned to a different detective. According to Smith-Fields’s brother Lakeem Jetter, he and his family noticed cups of liquor, flipped plates, and lube in the apartment, and a blood stain in the middle of her bed, none of which were initially examined as evidence. Two and a half weeks after the search, on December 29, her family was cleaning out Smith-Fields’s apartment when they found a used condom in the trash and an unidentified pill, none of which appear to have been taken into evidence. Meanwhile, according to the family’s lawyer, no evidence has been submitted to the forensic-science lab.

8DA0272F-AB09-461C-9CB3-457DEB49849A.jpeg

E0E5D097-741F-4CD6-9E69-537C04B18385.jpeg

71005C57-7E1B-4BD8-8E4A-C10AC5EAC882.jpeg

Celebrities have spoken out

SAY. HER. NAME.

I'm not gonna bandwagon and say that white dude is guilty, it's not my place to do that. Besides, that shit is dangerous. Numerous innocent black folk end up on death row because the early evidence suggests their guilt, when a further investigation clears them. It's not my place to say who did what when I have 0 insight on what exactly happened.

Biggest scumbags in this story are definitely the cops/detectives. So much untested evidence? Letting who should be the prime suspect go? NOT TELLING THE FAMILY!? All those dirtbags need to go.

I hope they get their shit together, get some serious people to properly work and close the case. Otherwise, it'll just one big open wound for the family.

She supported a tweet of a black a woman trashing black men in favor of white men. Calling blacks coloreds. This is very ironic. Starts at 7:25.

Her being a coon don't absolve anyone of anything. We gotta stop doing that.

I get you just pointing out the irony but it isn't necessary and just helps racists and he man woman haters muddy the waters.

A black woman may have been killed and no one is doing shit about it. Let's focus on that.

I
Her being a coon don't absolve anyone of anything. We gotta stop doing that.

I get you just pointing out the irony but it isn't necessary and just helps racists and he man woman haters muddy the waters.

A black woman may have been killed and no one is doing shit about it. Let's focus on that.
It is necessary because there are a growing number of black women who think this way. Maybe if he was black she would not have been so trusting of letting a stranger in her home because she put him on a pedestal do to his race.

I

It is necessary because there are a growing number of black women who think this way. Maybe if he was black she would not have been so trusting of letting a stranger in her home because she put him on a pedestal do to his race.

So because she thinks a certain way someone possibly killing her and the authorities dragging their feet on the case is okay?

Would you be cool if this was your sister, mother, daughter, aunt, niece, cousin, ya friend?

She dead. You not learning nobody with this useless info. What you're doing is the equivalent of media throwing up a black persons criminal record when they in the news for something completely unrelated. You inadvertently being a coon.

Yeaah the more I read, the more I kept thinking this guy must be causasian.

Ain't no other way, lo and behold... don't mean he did it but something's rotten in Denmark.

Cops just ignore blatant evidence and don't even scrub it. Brazen nonchalance.

Pure fuckries.

So because she thinks a certain way someone possibly killing her and the authorities dragging their feet on the case is okay?

Would you be cool if this was your sister, mother, daughter, aunt, niece, cousin, ya friend?

She dead. You not learning nobody with this useless info. What you're doing is the equivalent of media throwing up a black persons criminal record when they in the news for something completely unrelated. You inadvertently being a coon.
You always over emotional and putting words in someone mouth. I posted the facts and you bringing up shit I never said. The chick trusted this guy cause he was white. It's that simple and it played a part in her death

You always over emotional and putting words in someone mouth. I posted the facts and you bringing up shit I never said. The chick trusted this guy cause he was white. It's that simple and it played a part in her death

I don't see where im being emotional or putting words in your mouth but cool... why are the police dragging their feet and why isn't dude behind bars if it played a part in her death?

shaking-my-head-unbelievable.gif

Ahhh man.

Back