OPINION What exactly is an industry plant

One of the biggest plants in music if not the biggest in my opinion...

Mans has disowned HipHop as an art form and doesn't want it labelled in/on his music ...

But 95% of the music he makes and artistes he features or works with are Rap artistes and producers
But he's not a plant lol

You might not like his ascent in music but nobody forcing Drake on you and he didn't just pop up out of nowhere

Reactions: Dwayne
Lil White girl was a tiktoker who did sarcastic mom videos that got views, then switched to comedy and started a podcast. Drake got her to blow up and idk how she got that interview, but if shes in LA, theres no telling who she knew that could of hooked it up. Would be rather odd if some of yall been heard of a white girl on tiktok who made videos for moms...

• Ether
Reactions: Inori
But he's not a plant lol

You might not like his ascent in music but nobody forcing Drake on you and he didn't just pop up out of nowhere

Nobody forces any artiste on anybody in the real sense... however I'm just going by his antics and things he's said ...

He's obviously one of the biggest and most visible musicians out there so there's that

Nobody forces any artiste on anybody in the real sense... however I'm just going by his antics and things he's said ...

He's obviously one of the biggest and most visible musicians out there so there's that
This don't make him a plant

This makes him in tune with him knowing what sells records in today's music climate.

He even says "niggas be so ignorant in the hood asking why tf you making techno"... Or something similar

He's not a "rapper". He's an artist. He wants to appeal to as many people as he can at different times. If he knows calling his albums rap average a million sells but just calls his shit music and that's 10 million... Why would he just put himself in a box?

Disclaimer... This is not an endorsement of Drake. Once I finally realized what he started doing at some point, that made me actually appreciate the few songs he has that I actually enjoy.

• Haha
Reactions: rip.dilla
In my opinion, a plant is someone that comes out of no where and pays no underground dues. Comes out of no where and just exists on a mainstream stage. Just on day you start to hear their name every where and there’s no record of their history.

Jack Harlow, Logic, Macklemore,

Those are industry plants, same time, the industry can grab someone who has momentum and use them for a purpose, spring board them to a position they aren’t ready for and it show cause they have no media training

Cardi B or CTG ain’t industry plants like Kanye said cause you seen their growth, Cardi got her teeth fixed on a public stage, CTG used to cover his face with a hoodie at all times, you seen them low class and broke, you see them climb.

they might be used by the industry but they weren’t just planted in their positions. There’s not an industry person that would have bet on Bodack Yellow or whatever prior to it doing what it do.

This don't make him a plant

This makes him in tune with him knowing what sells records in today's music climate.

He even says "niggas be so ignorant in the hood asking why tf you making techno"... Or something similar

He's not a "rapper". He's an artist. He wants to appeal to as many people as he can at different times. If he knows calling his albums rap average a million sells but just calls his shit music and that's 10 million... Why would he just put himself in a box?

Disclaimer... This is not an endorsement of Drake. Once I finally realized what he started doing at some point, that made me actually appreciate the few songs he has that I actually enjoy.

Maybe 'plant' is the wrong term

Vulture would be more appropriate

Reactions: Disanthrope
Maybe 'plant' is the wrong term

Vulture would be more appropriate
How about dude just has better business acumen than most of his peers

You can't call him a vulture when Drake is out here doing features with unknown dudes to help make them pop

He's given way more back to hip hop at this point and he really don't have to

It's definitely a mutual benefit but he don't fit the definition of a vulture either

• Cap
Reactions: PhenomTheMac
In my opinion, a plant is someone that comes out of no where and pays no underground dues. Comes out of no where and just exists on a mainstream stage. Just on day you start to hear their name every where and there’s no record of their history.

Those are industry plants, same time, the industry can grab someone who has momentum and use them for a purpose, spring board them to a position they aren’t ready for and it show cause they have no media training

Cardi B or CTG ain’t industry plants like Kanye said cause you seen their growth, Cardi got her teeth fixed on a public stage, CTG used to cover his face with a hoodie at all times, you seen them low class and broke, you see them climb.

they might be used by the industry but they weren’t just planted in their positions. There’s not an industry person that would have bet on Bodack Yellow or whatever prior to it doing what it do.
Charlemagne was a fixture on Wendy Williams show for years.

Him landing on the breakfast club was the stars aligning for him.

He's no plant

How about dude just has better business acumen than most of his peers

You can't call him a vulture when Drake is out here doing features with unknown dudes to help make them pop

He's given way more back to hip hop at this point and he really don't have to

It's definitely a mutual benefit but he don't fit the definition of a vulture either
Lol save your energy

• Haha
Reactions: AP2.5
I think more people need to realize the scope of what they find entertaining isn't what everyone else does. And even if someone is an industry "plant" there's no guaranteed success. At the end of the day if you're in any form of entertainment the public decides if you pop or not no matter how much a label or company pushes you.

Macklemore not a plant. He's huge in Seattle, that's where they got him from. And he didn't even want to get labeled a vulture that's why he shouted out Kendrick at the Grammys and said he should have won. Since then he kinda faded away from the industry

Reactions: #1hiphopjunki3
Overused term but IMO an industry plant is someone literally planted into the industry with no GP demand, organic rise, or talent. A non-organic come up through connections. IE: A lot of these "indie" or "rising" artists whose parents have whole ass Wikipedia pages.

Cardi B and Lil Kim are more industry plants than Sexyy Red and Ice Spice are.

Red and Ice have musical history before being known figures. Cardi and Lil Kim have none before Love & Hip-Hop/being thrown into a group by Biggie. You can't find a single song, demo, or probably anything that indicated they even wanted to rap at all before then.