Welcome To aBlackWeb

Was This The Worst Era Of Hip Hop?

The quality and what goes into the songs now is way ahead of what they were doing in the 90s. Any major producer will tell you that. Alchemist and Madlib will tell you that. A lot of older songs were samples from other songs, the technology has evolved significantly to where they can create the "sample", and all of the intricacies without needing the physical instrument or worrying about lawsuits.

There are certain snares and high hats or sounds in general, you wouldn't pick up on that make the song more than it is. What rappers do is whatever and it's very easy to the untrained ear to say it all sounds the same but trust it's really intricate. I'm saying this because I know a producer who is producing for various artists who are quite popular and dude was breaking it down to me (I showed him this thread and this was his response).

That's all well and good, but just because a beat is more intricate doesn't mean it's great. Rza made great beats, and most of them are simple compared to the production of others. So yeah, I agree with everything you said, but I don't think any of that means that the production now is heads and shoulders above production from the 90s and 00s.

Back