Welcome To aBlackWeb

NeighborhoodNomad

the marathon continues........
Have you ever done any volunteering?

What was the work you did?

Would you do it again?

Would you recommend it to others?

What did you gain from the experience? What did you learn?

For those of us who would like to be more involved or contribute our services somewhere, where is a good place to start?

I volunteer at my nieces school in Charlotte whenever I'm there.
I think it's important that the kids see a black man helping in the classroom.

Always volunteered and did classroom projects at my kids school and my daughter's girl scout troop. For the same reason.

I always recommend dudes to give to the schools. Black men are needed to show the kids something different than what's local.

Not all the kids have a male or positive male to see.

I learned alot from the kids.
Alot of times I get choked up listening to the things they worry about and how grown they have to be. I never knew so many kids have lost their innocence. Shit is sad.

But I gained a respect for kids with no voice. They taught me that they just want to be heard and want to dream.

I really wish I could do more

Helped coach my god kids little league teams

Chaperoned for their boy scouts field trips a few times

Have tutored and helped several people in my community to become more tech savy. I've taught some the basics of operating a PC/checking email & sending an email. Showed them how to operate smart phones and all that cause a lot of them are clueless to things like that. Especially the older folks and its sad cause they got kids and grandkids who wont even take the time of day to show them any of these things.

I'd advise everybody to get more involved w/ not just the kids but the older folks too, theres no reason they should be left behind when it comes to learning about todays technologies

I volunteer every weekend at a residential care home with mental health and elderly residents...I also volunteer at my sons school and tha school where my sister is a special ed teacher...I’m also on tha safety/health team at my job that sponsors/offers volunteer hours to help tha community like painting rooms at a children’s home, back to school drives, etc etc...I try and do my share...it’s good for tha soul and tha world has enough fucked up shit goin’ on where I think I should try and sprinkle a lil good in

I'd advise everybody to get more involved w/ not just the kids but the older folks too, theres no reason they should be left behind when it comes to learning about todays technologies

I never thought of this.
Good idea.
I used to visit an elderly rehab to just talk with the people. But never thought to teach tech.....

Good idea.
Salute and idea stolen.

I disagree.

How wouldn't it be?

Spending your time and energy towards a greater good is most definitely an investment and a gift at the same time.
That nigga got all girls.....
They need that man at home.
He gotta keep niggas out his house.
Ill take up his slack.

Last edited:
No need for the passive response with me bro. I simply disagree with your previous statement, I'm just asking for clarity.

Can you elaborate and provide more clarity on your position?
That wasn't passive, that was very genuine my nigga. Someone has to help those in need and it ain't it ain't me so......

My time is too valuable to be volunteering. Plain and simple. I got kids. I got nieces and nephews. I got kinfolk. I got coworkers. And they all come before ppl I don't know. Simply put, I can't help you get ya house right until my home straight and my home a lifelong project b.

So I say again, time isn't something I give out all willy nilly. Props to yall that have it like that tho

That wasn't passive, that was very genuine my nigga. Someone has to help those in need and it ain't it ain't me so......

My time is too valuable to be volunteering. Plain and simple. I got kids. I got nieces and nephews. I got kinfolk. I got coworkers. And they all come before ppl I don't know. Simply put, I can't help you get ya house right until my home straight and my home a lifelong project b.

So I say again, time isn't something I give out all willy nilly. Props to yall that have it like that tho
Translation.

My one job is to keep them off the pole. I aint got time for you niggas.

I salute this man.

I hear you and I agree with you on one point, our time is valuable, very valuable but unless you're on your death bed (God forbid) saying my time is too valuable to volunteer is basically saying I'm greater than the greater good of the community.
I mean you can always do volunteer work with your daughters, your kinfolk, your loved ones and your co-workers. That's a great way to invest your valuable time in yourself, your family and your community and since we're speaking about value the return of investment is often immesurable.

I hear you and I agree with you on one point, our time is valuable, very valuable but unless you're on your death bed (God forbid) saying my time is too valuable to volunteer is basically saying I'm greater than the greater good of the community.
I mean you can always do volunteer work with your daughters, your kinfolk, your loved ones and your co-workers. That's a great way to invest your valuable time in yourself, your family and your community and since we're speaking about value the return of investment is often immesurable.
Or......I'm greater than the greater good of the community

Anyway you slice it, my attitude remains.

Back