Vanessa Williams recalls 'hurtful' backlash from the Black community after her historic Miss America win

Vanessa is trying to rewrite history with this. Even back in 2015 when the Miss America Pageant apologized to her, while she was doing TONS of interviews, she never once said a thing about colorism issues/backlash from Black people. But she always pointed out the racism/death threats from whites.

Zero respect for this shit she's doing, now.

Right after her win in '83
Black leaders across the country applauded her selection and the choice of another black contestant, Miss New Jersey, as first runner-up.

''I was chosen because I was qualified for the position,'' Miss Williams said. ''The fact that I was black was not a factor. I've always had to try harder in my life to achieve things, so this is regular.''
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/1983/09/19/...iss-america-victory-is-a-means-to-an-end.html

This article is from 2020...no mention of colorism

Another 2020 article...no colorism

I can go on. Bottom line, it's ALWAYS been the nude photo scandal that was the issue

Most Black women 30 & under, though?

Really?

She looks THAT good to you at 57?

There’s thousands of super fine 30 & under black women out there.

Yea. I was jus gone let the homie do him....cuz I googled "vanessa Williams 2020" and she look busted af (I mean she 57).

But hey, whatever floats ur boat

Nobody was shitting on her in 1983 for being lightskin and winning Miss America. Black folk were proud because she was the first Black woman to win the crown. Nobody was trippin on her color in '83.

Black folk were still biggin' up lightskins in the 80s. The 90s began to usher in more love for darker Black people on a mainstream level.

Nobody was shitting on her in 1983 for being lightskin and winning Miss America. Black folk were proud because she was the first Black woman to win the crown. Nobody was trippin on her color in '83.

Black folk were still biggin' up lightskins in the 80s. The 90s began to usher in more love for darker Black people on a mainstream level.

How old were you in 1983?

Uh, no. Yes, blk were happy she won. But there was a sentiment among blk ppl that she only won "cuz she was light skin"

I can vividly remember sayin back in the day that she only won cuz of her skin tone, they aint giving no dark skin blk woman that crown.

I wasn't shittin on her or trippin on her color in 83. Where you get that from?

• Haha
Reactions: Scandalust313
Vanessa is trying to rewrite history with this. Even back in 2015 when the Miss America Pageant apologized to her, while she was doing TONS of interviews, she never once said a thing about colorism issues/backlash from Black people. But she always pointed out the racism/death threats from whites.

Zero respect for this shit she's doing, now.

Right after her win in '83

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/1983/09/19/...iss-america-victory-is-a-means-to-an-end.html

This article is from 2020...no mention of colorism

Another 2020 article...no colorism

I can go on. Bottom line, it's ALWAYS been the nude photo scandal that was the issue

That's not because she shut her mouth about the latter party for 40 years it made her traumatic experience less harmful or true for either.

We all know how African American gossipers acts against light skinned sisters... heck, we just all know how African American gossipers acts against every successful brother or sister. And what I used to hear from people here in Canada or from France and Belgium onlime weren't better. Why do you think the likes of Yannick Noah and Omar Sy used to shut up for very long about black community issues?? Or that Normand Bratwaithe in Canada has NO affiliation whatsoever with black folks here except for taunting us or being mocked about his part black heritage (and to be honest, he want it. Nigga's a well-reputed Coon and a Sambo type comedian) .

Don't let me start with Gabourey Sidibe, David Kaluuya and Anna Diop...

That one with that hippie-haired Beckie sniffing her bootyhole or poonami is CRINGE AF.

Rbabaa725f15e83e7820894ac46e8546f

Nigga wtf u talkin bout? That's the best one