Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Top 10 Female R&B Singers

Yall know yall aint listening to no fuckin patti labelle on the regular. She definitely couldn't put on a show like MJB did last night. Cut it out.

I rarely agree with this mf, but he's right. LH shouldn't even be in the top 15.

Anybody that thinks Aretha Franklin isn't top 5 DOA based on hits, discography and impact is clueless.

She held it down from the mid 60s all the way through the 80s. She even had a few hits in the 90s

Hard to place them in any order and like any list it can change day to day, or minute to minute...

Also Im not too fussed if a singer actually writes their material, it plays a small factor but I go mainly with their voice and how they own a track...

Whitney (crazy powerful voice, great control and can bounce on a track like she did with 'its not right/but its ok)

Mariah (she used to hit high notes like no other)

Aretha Franklin (the queen of soul)

Sade (that hoooot voice over soulful jazzy beats is so unique)

Bettye Lavette (mad versatile, not even sure what genre she is r&b, soul or blues???)

Erykah Badu (part of the OG neo soul movement, distinctive voice, has subject matter in her songs and also a great live singer too)

Dusty Springfield (more of a folksy/soul/bluesy singer, but one hell of a voice and like Anita Baker can make you really feel a song)

Anita Baker (one of my favourite artists when it comes romantic ballads, she brings mad emotion to a track)

Lauryn Hill (loved her song content and her style and also versatile and a great singer and my goat female rapper)

Minnie Riperton (also great with high notes but made one of the most beautifulest songs in the world whilst dying with cancer)

edit: just tried to placed them in an order best i could..

Last edited:
With regards to Beyonce and Rihanna... Beyonce has had a massive impact and longevity but as a solo artist personally I dont really mess with her music, though I liked quite few Destinys Child joints... RiRi seems a cool chick but not really a fan of her music either...

ebc33d51-13f2-4259-9085-ec408565ab15_2.f24f0aaed682471feccef8cb1cdbc0ff.jpeg

^this shit right here >> Sade's whole career

Putting Jill Scott in your top 10 makes sense. She's been around since the late 90s and she can sing her ass off.

Also she has a lot of hit songs.

Lastly, she doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

I don't have any of her albums, but I like everything I've heard from her.

At a show here in Columbia Maryland, Jhene Aiko is unfiltered trash live, good in the studio.

Should’ve let her perform b4 Rafael Saadiq

Back