Welcome To aBlackWeb

This is what demanding $15/hr minimum wage creates: The Burger flipping robot.

konceptjones

The one between three and three.
PG18_INNOVATION_MISO_1126---Flippy-robot-burger_t670.jpg

Last year international fast-food chain McDonald’s reported they would begin employing automated fryer robots throughout their different branches across the world. Former McDonald’s USA CEO Ed Rensi told Fox Business, “It’s cheaper to buy a $35,000 robotic arm than it is to hire an employee who’s inefficient making $15 an hour bagging French fries.” McDonald’s has also introduced touchscreen ordering kiosks to some of its stores.

Also quoted in the article:

In a test kitchen in a corner building in downtown Pasadena, Flippy the robot grabbed a fryer basket full of chicken fingers, plunged it into hot oil — its sensors told it exactly how hot — then lifted, drained and dumped maximally tender tenders into a waiting hopper.

A few feet away, another Flippy eyed a beef patty sizzling on a griddle. With its camera eyes feeding pixels to a machine vision brain, it waited until the beef hit the right shade of brown, then smoothly slipped its spatula hand under the burger and plopped it onto a tray.

The product of decades of research in robotics and machine learning, Flippy represents a synthesis of motors, sensors, chips and processing power that wasn’t possible until recently.

Now, Flippy’s success — and the success of the company that built it, Miso Robotics — depends on simple math and a controversial hypothesis of how robots can transform the service economy. Costing less to employ than a minimum-wage worker, Flippy is built to slip in right alongside humans on the fast-food line.

I warned y'all on the IC 7 years ago that it was coming. The push for a minimum wage increase should have centered on $10-$11/hr. Niggas kept demanding $15 and this is the result.

That's what they said was gonna happen here after it jumped up to $14/hr, didnt happen.

Oh word? You sure about that? Because they use this as a threat even if they wanna raise the min wage 10 cents. Then the min wage doesnt raise and they introduce automation anyway. Just like Mcdonalds did with the kiosk and Walmart with their self check out. Even tho the min wage been the same federally for like 10 years. So this is a shitty argument.

I dont have a taste for trash so I dont eat Mcdonalds anyway. And if I go to a fast food place and they want me to use some nasty touch screen, mad strangers already touched instead of talking to someone, I'd leave and go someplace else.

Yall catching all kinda germs from those screens, then touching that slop they call food and ingesting it, scust.

Oh word? You sure about that? Because they use this as a threat even if they wanna raise the min wage 10 cents. Then the min wage doesnt raise and they introduce automation anyway. Just like Mcdonalds did with the kiosk and Walmart with their self check out. Even tho the min wage been the same federally for like 10 years. So this is a shitty argument.

I dont have a taste for trash so I dont eat Mcdonalds anyway. And if I go to a fast food place and they want me to use some nasty touch screen, mad strangers already touched instead of talking to someone, I'd leave and go someplace else.

Yall catching all kinda germs from those screens, then touching that slop they call food and ingesting it, scust.
But but

But

I eat the vegetarian option.
Curry burger for the win?

Jack in the Box in Phoenix had them touch screens as far back as about 2006-2007.
A lot of the McDonalds in my area have the touch screens. One right off LVB won't even acknowledge you as a customer until you order from the screen.
U-Scan put a lot of people out of work at Walmart, Meijer, and grocery stores across the country.
The shit is happening. The technology is advancing so shit like this can happen. The cost to have a robotic burger flipper is now about a tenth of what it once would have cost years ago so now companies that want to start using them can do so for cheap.

Shit, we got robot bartenders out here. The shit seems like a novelty at the moment, but what happens when it gets cheap and bar owners realize they can maximize the amount of money they can make off a single bottle of liquor because the robot dispenses precise amounts of liquor every time?

Jack in the Box in Phoenix had them touch screens as far back as about 2006-2007.
A lot of the McDonalds in my area have the touch screens. One right off LVB won't even acknowledge you as a customer until you order from the screen.
U-Scan put a lot of people out of work at Walmart, Meijer, and grocery stores across the country.
The shit is happening. The technology is advancing so shit like this can happen. The cost to have a robotic burger flipper is now about a tenth of what it once would have cost years ago so now companies that want to start using them can do so for cheap.

Shit, we got robot bartenders out here. The shit seems like a novelty at the moment, but what happens when it gets cheap and bar owners realize they can maximize the amount of money they can make off a single bottle of liquor because the robot dispenses precise amounts of liquor every time?
Properly run bars already do this with human bartenders. They measure the pour and weight the Liquor bottles at the end of shifts to make sure shit isnt being over poured.

I always feel like an old nigga in front of them screens.

Swiping.....No ice.
Where's the damn cookies.

I think it costs $3 per hour for the robot, compared to $15 per hour for a human.

It’s inevitable that easy jobs like that will end up going to AI. The McDonalds near me just remodeled and it has 6 self order kiosks, only 2 cashiers who actually work at the counter.

Soon, it will be all kiosks and robots.

I think it costs $3 per hour for the robot, compared to $15 per hour for a human.

It’s inevitable that easy jobs like that will end up going to AI. The McDonalds near me just remodeled and it has 6 self order kiosks, only 2 cashiers who actually work at the counter.

Soon, it will be all kiosks and robots.

When I was a kid, McDonalds never had less than 4-6 cashiers at all times.
I could go to the grocery store or Meijer and there were plenty of cashiers.
Nowadays long ass lines are the norm, even at Walmart and they have 20+ checkout lanes but only 4 cashiers working at any given moment but, "hey, the U-scan is available."

Can't ignore how self-service has kicked people out of jobs. Now the robotic fry cook is about to take those jobs as well.

This might sound callous or cynical but if the work a person is doing could be done better my a machine then the machine should be doing the work. That's how technology has worked since its inception.

Do you think people wove the fabric on the clothes that you wear on a loom and then stitched it all together by hand?

When I was a kid, McDonalds never had less than 4-6 cashiers at all times.
I could go to the grocery store or Meijer and there were plenty of cashiers.
Nowadays long ass lines are the norm, even at Walmart and they have 20+ checkout lanes but only 4 cashiers working at any given moment but, "hey, the U-scan is available."

Can't ignore how self-service has kicked people out of jobs. Now the robotic fry cook is about to take those jobs as well.

My Walmart has 14 self checkout lanes, only 10 are useable. I can say that w this addition, it has made Walmart lines less longer in terms of wait time.

Back