Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY The Stand Up Comedy Thread

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fandrewhusband%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F12%2Fcomedians-of-the-world-cropped.jpg

In July, stand-up comedy juggernaut Netflix announced that it was bringing together comedians from around the world for a global "comedy event series" set to launch sometime in 2019. A whopping 47 comics hailing from 13 different regions were included as a part of the announcement, including American comics like Nicole Byer, British stand-ups like Nish Kumar and Australian performers like Nazeem Hussain.

Today, the streaming giant gave a name and a release date to the massive series. It's called Comedians of the World and it's set to debut on New Year's Day, which falls on a Tuesday.

In a new press release, Netflix declared "there's no excuse needed to stay indoors and get too comfortable with the international language of laughter" the morning after New Year's Eve. "The groundbreaking series will feature a range of stand-up specials from comedians diverse in style, gender and ethnicity, taped in eight languages from around the world," the release added, and as is custom with most original streaming programming, "all episodes will drop in one go."

Compared to everything else that's been happening in the stand-up comedy world (mostly thanks to Netflix and streaming), Comedians of the World is a very significant feat. To make it happen, the platform's comedy division had to organize set tapings at the most recent Just for Laughs Festival in Montreal, along with other festivals and performances in São Paolo, Mexico City, Mumbai, Berlin and Amsterdam. That's a lot of comedians, audiences, venues and film crews for one series.

Yet as many detractors of the current comedy boom will no doubt ask, "Is this too much?"Forty-seven individual half-hour sets is a lot of material to crunch through, as its totals nearly 24 hours of stand-up. If Comedians of the World was a sitcom, then its New Year's Day debut would amount to two standard seasons' worth of episodes -- or over three seasons' worth, if the total episode counts per season were less than 20.

Obviously, something like Comedians of the World is not meant to be binged in one go, and with so many different comics representing such a wide variety of languages and cultures, trying to binge it all would be folly. It's not all going to thread together like a coherent season of television. What's more, viewers who happen to tune in on New Year's Day or after might do so just because they enjoy Byer's quips on Nailed It! or Kumar's appearances on Mock the Week.

Putting this much stand-up in one place is also about discovery. As Lisa Nishimura, vice president of original documentary and comedy, said in July's press release, "Few things are better than discovering a new comedian you love. With this event, we're creating a true comedy festival experience for our members where they can scour the globe from home to find some of the freshest voices in comedy." In other words, while audiences may initially check it out to watch comics they already know, there's a good chance they'll find something new.

Here's the full list of talent participating in Comedians of the World:

United States

Neal Brennan

Chris D'Elia

Nicole Byer

Nick Swardson

Australia and New Zealand

Joel Creasey

Urzila Carlson

Nazeem Hussain

Cal Wilson

Quebec

Louis-José Houde

François Bellefeuille

Katherine Levac

Adib Alkhalidey

Canada

Ivan Decker

DeAnne Smith

K. Trevor Wilson

Dave Merheje

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrew...up-comedy-special-new-years-day/#35266342dc75

Theres more listed in the link from europe and africa, but i just included the list of English speaking comedians. Will be cool to see.

Chris Delia and Neal Brennan are fucking hysterical. Nick Swardson is hit or miss for me, but should be cool to see.

The stand up trevor noah just dropped was fuckin hilarious
I really liked that one too, might be my favorite of the three hes released with them. The stories he has from growing up in south Africa are interesting af and his stories of adapting to American culture are just fucking hilarious.

Audio from a recent set Louis ck did. Was pretty well received by the sounds of it. Dudes gonna make a comeback no problem.

He used to release his specials independantly on his website and made tons of money doing it. I think he will go back to doing that if nobody wants to work with him.

:ghost:
You GOAT'd Lou when he said that bullshit was funny. Basically a cosign.

Trevor Noah even cornier than ellen so he wasnt gettin streamed no way

But you like Louis CK stale, boring ass.

Shit I've laughed at a Trevor and Ellen joke, never laughed at CK's wack ass.

But you like Louis CK stale, boring ass.

Shit I've laughed at a Trevor and Ellen joke, never laughed at CK's wack ass.
I like Louis CK tv show. His standup isnt for me.

Trevor Noah is a 1 trick pony. And corny at that. His whole shit is on some light skinned coming to america shit.

Ellen is ellen. She seems cool. But that special was TV-PG for the whole family. And she spent 5mins dancing to Back Dat Ass Up. If u like her special u would prolly enjoy her daytime tv show.

Trevor Noah is a 1 trick pony. And corny at that. His whole shit is on some light skinned coming to america shit.

Ellen is ellen. She seems cool. But that special was TV-PG for the whole family. And she spent 5mins dancing to Back Dat Ass Up. If u like her special u would prolly enjoy her daytime tv show.

His show was wack juice as well.

That MF just ain't funny

Im guessing if u hate him so much u prolly dont watch his show.

I think his a good director and his more serious episodes are some of the best. Like the Doug Stanhope ep or the Robin Williams ep

I don't hate him. He just wack and corny AF

And I did watch his show when it premiered, cuz I watch(ed) a bunch of FX shit, like his stand-up shit was corny.

Yeah that dancing bullshit was wack af. I thought the first 30 mins was decent though. Wasn't no classic comedy type stuff, but for someone who aint did stand up in over a decade to come back with something that decent is pretty dope. Plus she's way above stand up now, she didnt NEED to do a special, just did it cuz thats where she came from and had shit to say.

I thought Ron Funches was gay just based off his voice lmao. Come to find out this dude just been raised by his mom and sisters and talks girly. Has a kid and everything. Dudes got a pretty dope podcast too

Who are yalls favorite 5 WORKING comedians? Active Comedians today.

No Order:
Tom Segura
Bert Kreischer
Ari Shaffir
Andrew Santino
Theo Von

Who are yalls favorite 5 WORKING comedians? Active Comedians today.

No Order:
Tom Segura
Bert Kreischer
Ari Shaffir
Andrew Santino
Theo Von

I wanna check some of his stuff out. CUz I'm always gonna remember him from Real World/Road Rules shit.

And he wasn't that funny from what I remember.:js4:

Last edited:
Back