Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/hyde-smith-banking-boost-trump-rallies

Hyde-Smith Banking On Boost From Two Separate Trump Rallies Monday

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — The final chapter of the 2018 midterms is nearing a close in Mississippi, where the prevalent themes of President Donald Trump and race have combined for a much closer contest than anyone expected in one of the country’s most deeply conservative states.

Republican Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith, appointed to the seat in April, gives unwavering support to the president who will campaign for her at two rallies on Monday, a day ahead of the runoff. Trump also has thanked her right back on Twitter for voting for “our Agenda in the Senate 100% of the time.”

She is up against Democrat Mike Espy, a former congressman and U.S. agriculture secretary who is seeking to become Mississippi’s first black senator since Reconstruction. And in the final weeks of the campaign, race has become a dominant issue.

Hyde-Smith has drawn fire for attending a white private school that was founded after court-ordered school desegregation of public schools. She’s been seen in a photo wearing a replica hat of a Confederate soldier and in a video praising a supporter by saying, “If he invited me to a public hanging, I’d be on the front row.”

Mississippi has a history of racially motivated lynchings and violence against people who sought voting rights for black citizens. Some 38 percent of the state’s residents are black, and Espy is trying to boost their turnout and pick up support from white voters who are uneasy with Trump or the racially tinged stories about Hyde-Smith.

The winner Tuesday finishes the final two years of a term started by Republican Sen. Thad Cochran. He resigned in April amid health concerns.

It’s the last U.S. Senate race to be decided in 2018 and will determine whether Republicans pad their slim majority.

Hyde-Smith’s support of Trump is unmistakable. She used both her opening and closing statements of the only debate of the runoff campaign to promote Monday’s presidential rallies, citing the online address to get tickets. Even on trade and tariffs, where Trump’s decisions could hurt Mississippi farmers, Hyde-Smith praised the president.

“I have met with the president, and I proudly support him in negotiating these trades,” she said. “All the Mississippi farmers want is a fair deal, and I’m excited that the president has stepped up to renegotiate these deals.”

Hyde-Smith and Trump are set to appear together at a late Monday afternoon event in the northeastern city of Tupelo, best known as the birthplace of Elvis Presley. Then, they fly to the Gulf Coast for a larger evening rally in Biloxi.

Democrats also have used some star power. Former Vice President Joe Biden has endorsed Espy, and three Democrats who could run for president in 2020 — Sens. Kamala Harris of California and Cory Booker of New Jersey and former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick — have been to Mississippi to campaign for the former congressman who served as agriculture secretary in 1993 and 1994 under Democratic President Bill Clinton.

For Espy, turnout is key. He has to close the gap in a state where Trump received 58 percent in 2016 and that hasn’t elected a Democrat to the U.S. Senate since 1982.

About a third of Mississippi voters were African-American in the four-way race on Election Day, and Espy won support from about 80 percent of them, compared to about 20 percent of white voters, according to VoteCast, a wide-ranging survey of the electorate conducted by The Associated Press.

If Espy’s campaign can boost African-American turnout to 40 percent and he can win 9 out of 10 of their votes, he would only need less than a quarter of white votes to secure a victory.

Espy hasn’t hammered Hyde-Smith on Trump at every turn. His campaign has focused more on issues such as social justice, health care and raising wages.

“My approach is Mississippi first,” Espy said at last week’s debate. “That means that Mississippi over party, Mississippi over person — I don’t care how powerful that person might be.”

Espy also has carefully picked his time to talk about race. He does remind voters while Hyde-Smith was in a white academy, he and his twin sister were being called racial slurs while integrating Yazoo City High School in 1969.

Hyde-Smith has apologized to “anyone that was offended” by the hanging comment, saying she meant no ill will. She and her campaign have refused to talk about the Confederate hat and have called the school issue a personal attack on her family meant to draw attention away from issues.

Walmart asked Hyde-Smith to return a $2,000 campaign contribution because of the hanging remark.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckr...ht-wing-martyr-pursued-by-mueller-probe-thugs

Corsi Casts Himself As Right-Wing Martyr Pursued By Mueller Probe ‘Thugs’

As over the top as ever, conspiracy theorist Jerome Corsi has told multiple news outlets that he had refused a plea bargain from special counsel and alleged deep state factotum Robert Mueller.

“They want me to say I willfully lied,” he reportedly told NBC. “I’m not going to agree that I lied. I did not. I will not lie to save my life. I’d rather sit in prison and rot for as long as these thugs want me to.”

Corsi – a famously unreliable conspiracy theorist who pushed the birther conspiracy theory under Obama and assisted in the “swift-boating” of John Kerry in 2004 – said two weeks ago that Mueller would indict him for perjury in two days.

Corsi has not yet been indicted. Special counsel spokesman Peter Carr declined to comment.

The former Infowars DC bureau chief’s remarks said that the purported perjury charge is related to whether he saw Wikileaks founder Julian Assange in the summer of 2016.

Mueller has been investigating whether Roger Stone acted as a conduit between Wikileaks and the Trump campaign over the release of hacked emails from Clinton campaign chair John Podesta.

A DC correspondent for One America News Network, a conservative news website, tweeted that Corsi would file a “criminal complaint against Mueller’s investigation with Acting Attorney General Whitaker” over the supposed perjury charge.

Corsi attorney David Gray did not reply to a request for comment. Corsi did not reply to multiple requests for comment.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/james-alex-fields-self-defense-argument-charlottesville-trial

White Nationalist Plans To Argue Self-Defense In C’ville Car Attack Trial

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) — An Ohio man charged with killing a woman during a white nationalist rally in Virginia plans to argue that he believed he was acting in self-defense when he drove his car into a crowd of counter protesters.

A lawyer for James Alex Fields Jr. offered a glimpse of the defense strategy as jury selection began Monday in Charlottesville Circuit Court.

Attorney John Hill told a group of prospective jurors the jury will hear evidence that Fields “thought he was acting in self-defense.”

Hill asked if any of the prospective jurors believe that using violence in self-defense is never appropriate.

The “Unite the Right” rally on Aug. 12, 2017, was organized in part to protest the planned removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/nooses-hate-signs-mississippi-capitol-grounds

Two Nooses And Six ‘Hate Signs’ Found On Mississippi Capitol Grounds

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi official says two nooses and six signs were found on the grounds of the Mississippi state Capitol.

Chuck McIntosh, a spokesman for the Mississippi Department of Finance and Administration, which oversees the Capitol, says the nooses and signs were found Monday morning shortly before 8 a.m. on the south side of the Capitol grounds.

He says the matter is under investigation, and he did not immediately know what was on the signs.

A local television station showed photos of the nooses hanging over tree limbs, and described the rest as “hate signs.”

Mississippi is preparing for a Tuesday Senate runoff between Republican Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith and Democrat Mike Espy in a race that has increasingly taken on racial overtones.

Trump’s AmeriKKKa...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/24/poli...onfederacy-mississippi-senate-race/index.html

Mississippi Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith pushed resolution praising Confederate soldier's effort to 'defend his homeland'

(CNN) — Mississippi Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith once promoted a measure that praised a Confederate soldier's effort to "defend his homeland" and pushed a revisionist view of the Civil War.

Hyde-Smith, a Republican, faces Mike Espy, a Democratic former congressman and agriculture secretary, in Tuesday's runoff in Mississippi -- the final Senate race to be decided in 2018. The measure, which was unearthed by CNN's KFile during a review of Hyde-Smith's legislative history, is the latest in a series of issues that have surfaced during her campaign, many of which have evoked Mississippi's dark history of racism and slavery.
As a state senator in 2007, Hyde-Smith cosponsored a resolution that honored then-92-year-old Effie Lucille Nicholson Pharr, calling her "the last known living 'Real Daughter' of the Confederacy living in Mississippi." Pharr's father had been a Confederate soldier in Robert E. Lee's army in the Civil War.

The resolution refers to the Civil War as "The War Between the States." It says her father "fought to defend his homeland and contributed to the rebuilding of the country." It says that with "great pride," Mississippi lawmakers "join the Sons of Confederate Veterans" to honor Pharr.

The measure "rests on an odd combination of perpetuating both the Confederate legacy and the idea that this was not really in conflict with being a good citizen of the nation," said Nina Silber, the president of the Society of Civil War Historians and a Boston University history professor.

"I also think it's curious that this resolution -- which ostensibly is about honoring the 'daughter' -- really seems to be an excuse to glorify the Confederate cause," Silber said.

The Sons of Confederate Veterans, according to the group's website, is a "historical, patriotic, and non-political organization dedicated to insuring that a true history of the 1861-1865 period is preserved." The group says on its website that "The preservation of liberty and freedom was the motivating factor in the South's decision to fight the Second American Revolution."

The concurrent resolution was approved by Mississippi's House and Senate. Hyde-Smith served as a state senator from 2000 to 2012. She was a Democrat before switching parties in 2010, citing her conservative beliefs. Hyde-Smith's campaign did not respond Saturday to a request for comment on the resolution.

News of the 2007 measure comes amid increased scrutiny of Hyde-Smith's past after a series of recordings surfaced that featured her making comments about attending a "public hanging" and suppressing the votes of students in the state.

Hyde-Smith was recorded telling supporters in Tupelo earlier this month that she'd be "on the front row" if one of her supporters there "invited me to a public hanging" -- a phrase her campaign called an "exaggerated expression of regard." The same progressive blogger who published the video later published one in which she told a small group at Mississippi State University that suppressing the votes of students at other colleges was "a great thing." Her campaign said it was a joke.

On Friday, the Jackson Free Press reported that Hyde-Smith attended a private high school that was founded in 1970 so that white parents could avoid attempts to integrate schools by sending their children to schools without black students. Hyde-Smith's daughter later attended a similar private school established around the same time, according to the Free Press.
Hyde-Smith campaign spokeswoman Melissa Scallan, when asked to comment on the report, attacked the "liberal media," saying in a statement, "They have stooped to a new low, attacking her entire family and trying to destroy her personally instead of focusing on the clear differences on the issues between Cindy Hyde-Smith and her far-left opponent."

The 2007 resolution wasn't the only legislation Hyde-Smith backed that would elevate Mississippi's Confederate history. The Washington Post reported that in 2001, Hyde-Smith introduced a bill as a state senator to rename a stretch of highway to what it had been called in the 1930s: the Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway, after the president of the Confederacy.

And in photos posted to her Facebook account in 2014, Hyde-Smith was pictured posing with Confederate artifacts during a visit to Beauvoir, the home and library of Davis. The caption on the post read, "Mississippi history at its best!"

Mississippi still displays the Confederate battle flag within its state flag. But more critical attention has been paid toward Confederate monuments, symbols and icons in recent years, particularly after the Charleston, South Carolina, church shooting and white supremacists' march in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Hyde-Smith and Espy debated Tuesday night. But otherwise, Hyde-Smith's campaign has kept her mostly out of public eye and away from the press -- eschewing the usual event-after-event sprint to Election Day -- as controversy over racially insensitive remarks she'd made earlier this month swirled.

Several companies that donated to Hyde-Smith's campaign, including Walmart, have publicly withdrawn their support for the senator over the "public hanging" comment.

In her debate with Espy, Hyde-Smith said she would "certainly apologize" to anyone who was offended by her remark about attending a "public hanging." But she quickly pivoted into attack mode.
"I also recognize that this comment was twisted and it was turned into a weapon to be used against me," she said.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livew...ilk-to-get-show-on-fox-news-streaming-service

Trump Boosters Diamond And Silk To Get Show On Fox News’ Streaming Service

Matt Shuham

Diamond & Silk, the pro-Trump YouTubers-turned-conservative-stars, will get their own commentary show on Fox Nation, Fox News’ new streaming service, Fox News’ senior VP of development and production John Finley announced Monday. Fox Nation, meant for “FOX News superfans,” is set to launch as a streaming service on Tuesday.

All that shuckin’ and jivin’ finally paid off.. The Murdoch’s put them on their streaming plantation...

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/corsi-claims-secret-joint-defense-agreement-with-trump

Corsi Claims Secret Joint Defense Agreement With Trump, Report Says

Conspiracy theorist Jerome Corsi claimed he entered into a secret joint defense agreement with Trump before he began speaking with special counsel investigators this summer, right-wing news website The Daily Caller reported.

Relying on an advance copy of Corsi’s forthcoming 60,000 word e-tome on his time with the Mueller investigation, the website reported that Trump attorney Jay Sekulow suggested to Corsi’s attorney that Trump and the conspiracy theorist keep the agreement verbal.

“This saved creating a document that might appear later in some relevant legal proceeding or newspaper article,” the website cites the book as saying.

Corsi purportedly goes into more detail about the agreement in the book. He writes that per the deal, “we and the White House would be permitted to share information privately about the Special Prosecutor’s investigation, with the goal of the White House and me assisting one another in defending ourselves.”

Sekulow did not immediately reply to a request for comment. Corsi attorney David Gray did not return a request for comment.

Gray supposedly called Sekulow after a series of conversations and accepted the offer.

“After debating the pros and cons, we had decided that anytime we could get the attorney for the president of the United States to offer assistance to us, we needed to say to be thankful and accept,” the website cites Corsi’s book as saying.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/goodlatte-defends-ivanka-emails

Goodlatte Defends Ivanka’s Private Emails: ‘It’s Awfully Tough’ To Follow Rules

Following his colleague Rep. Trey Gowdy’s (R-SC) calls for information about first daughter Ivanka Trump’s use of private email for official business, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) defended Trump, arguing that it’s “awfully tough” to follow email rules.

“When things like this come up, it’s important people understand, they need to make sure they’re doing what they can,” Goodlatte told CNN’s Erin Burnett on “OutFront” Monday. “And it’s awfully tough, as everyone knows, when you’re sending emails about a lot of different things to make sure that you’re doing it according to the rules in the White House or wherever you’re doing it.”

“I’m sure Hillary Clinton would agree with you,” Burnett responded as she ended the interview.

The defense is particularly rich given Goodlatte and fellow Republicans’ chronic cries for investigations over Clinton’s use of a private email server when she was secretary of state, even though the FBI has probed and cleared Clinton for her email malpractice.

Goodlatte was quick to note that the consequences of Trump and Clinton’s missteps were vastly different.

“I do think, of course, it’s very different to send private emails about matters that are not classified information,” Goodlatte said. “There’s a criminal penalty imposed for doing that — when you have classified information that is transmitted improperly, as was the allegation, and I think the facts now support, with regard to Hillary Clinton.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/fox-and-friends-gave-pruitt-script-approval-interview-questions

‘Fox And Friends’ Gave Pruitt Script Approval, Pre-Interview Qs Beforehand

“Fox and Friends,” a very Trump-friendly program on the Trump-friendly network, broke journalistic standards and gave former EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt script approval and knowledge of interview questions beforehand, according to documents obtained by the Daily Beast.

While pre-interviews are not uncommon while a network vets a possible guest to determine his or her expertise, they are taboo for government officials who already presumably have relevant knowledge, as they help them dodge hard questions.

According to the Daily Beast, in one exchange, the show’s producers let Pruitt’s office approve the lead-in script to his interview, along with giving him pre-interview questions ahead of time.

A Fox News spokesperson referred TPM to the network’s statement to The Daily Beast: “This is not standard practice whatsoever and the matter is being addressed internally with those involved.”

Propaganda x News = Faux News...

Back