Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

1348.png

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/giuliani-tapes-show-cohen-explaining-something-trump

Giuliani: Tapes Show Cohen ‘Explaining Something’ Trump ‘Doesn’t Understand’

President Donald Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani on Tuesday evening scrambled to spread his legal team’s conflicting take on what was revealed in the release of audio of Trump’s conversation with his former lawyer about a payment to a former Playboy model just ahead of the 2016 election.

Giuliani claimed that the recording, made by ex-Trump lawyer Michael Cohen, “doesn’t” indicate that Trump knew about plans to purchase the rights to Karen McDougal’s story — about an alleged affair with Trump — from American Media Inc.

“That’s open to interpretation, and we can have a fight about that. … To me it sounds like Cohen is explaining something to [Trump] that he doesn’t understand,” Giuliani told The Washington Post on Tuesday evening, shortly after Cohen’s lawyer gave CNN a copy of the recordings. “He doesn’t seem that familiar with anything. There is nothing to indicate he knew anything in advance.”

Giuliani also took his spin to Fox News on Tuesday night, telling the network that there’s “no indication of any crime being committed on this tape” and claiming the tape was “leaked on us with a very, very scurrilous description” of what was on it.

Giuliani disputed a key claim made by Cohen’s lawyer — that the tape shows Trump suggested that Cohen use cash to make the payment. Giuliani claimed Trump said “don’t pay with cash.”

“There’s no way the President is going to be setting up a corporation and then using cash, unless you’re a complete idiot,” he told Fox News.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-rages-melania-tv-cnn

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/us/politics/trump-putin-cnn.html

Trump Rages When Melania’s TV Is Set To CNN, Demands Air Force One Tune TVs To Fox

The President caused “a bit of a stir” during a recent trip overseas when he exploded on staff for tuning First Lady Melania Trump’s TV to CNN instead of Fox News, The New York Times reported.

According to an email exchange obtained by the Times, Trump fumed at staff for “violating a rule” about the televisions, in the Times’ words, and demanded that Air Force One TVs be tuned to Fox News at the start of each trip.

In the email, exchanged between the White House communications shop and the military office, it was decided that it would become standard practice for TVs to be set to Fox, according to the Times.

Trump also reportedly asked staff for two more TVs for himself and Melania Trump to watch in their separate hotel rooms while traveling.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/msnbc-a...es-a-client-one-who-doesnt-trust-that-client/

MSNBC Analyst Answers Trump’s Tweet Question: What Lawyer Tapes a Client? One Who Doesn’t Trust That Client

Former Robert Mueller aide and MSNBC law enforcement analyst Chuck Rosenberg answered the question President Donald Trump asked this morning regarding his longtime personal attorney Michael Cohen: “What kind of lawyer would tape his client? Presumably a lawyer that doesn’t trust his client.”

“Now, it’s unusual,” Rosenberg added while on Morning Joe today. “I’ve not heard of it. I’ve never done it. I don’t recommend it. Seems to me that’s the kind of lawyer that might tape his client.”

The analyst continued: “Not a best practice, but if you’re dealing with somebody you can’t trust, John, you know, maybe it is.”

Trump asked the question on Twitter this morning in response to Cohen’s lawyer Lanny Davis appearing on CNN last night and releasing a tape in which the now-president can be heard saying “pay with cash,” which was presumably in reference to hush money they wanted to give to a woman claiming she had an affair with then-candidate

As for the relevancy of the tape in a legal sense, Rosenberg said it is not enough in itself to be “incriminatory”:

It’s interesting as a prosecutor. And I was one for a long time. I think it’s relevant. I don’t think incriminatory, really… This is something that — you know, you don’t just go into a courtroom and hit play. You need a witness to authenticate the tape, to explain that you know that’s my voice, Willy, that’s your voice. I made the tape on such and such day and in such and such way and it’s not edited, it’s not missing anything. Why is there a cut at the end? Well, I can explain that. The equipment failed or the conversation stopped or somebody else walked into the room. So, you need context.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/general-motors-trade-war-2018-outlook

GM Cites Trade War-Induced Price Rises In Cutting Its Outlook For The Year

NEW YORK (AP) — General Motors, facing rising commodity costs in a trade showdown with Europe and elsewhere, cut its outlook for the year.

The diminished expectations overshadowed a strong second quarter and shares tumbled more than 7 percent in early trading. The rest of the auto sector was dragged down as well on Wednesday. Ford Motor Co., which reports quarterly earnings later Wednesday, slid 4 percent. The S&P 500 Automobile Manufacturers index plunged 6 percent.

Quarterly profit rose 44 percent to $2.39 billion, or $1.66 per share. A year ago, the company had a loss on the sale of its European Opel unit.

Excluding charges, the Detroit company earned $1.81 per share, topping Wall Street expectations for $1.78, according to a poll by FactSet. Revenue was flat at $36.76 billion, falling short of Wall Street forecasts.

GM now expects 2018 per-share profits of $5.14, down from $6. It cited “recent and significant increases in commodity costs” along with unfavorable currency exchange rates. Wall Street had been projecting 2018 per-share earnings of $6.42.

“The pressure from commodity prices and foreign exchange rates has been more significant than our original expectations, said Chief Financial Officer Chuck Stevens. “While we’ve been able to offset some of the headwind, the challenges have been greater than anticipated, and we expect approximately a $1 billion net headwind versus our original guidance.”

President Donald Trump imposed steep tariffs on steel and aluminum coming out of Canada, Mexico and the European Union. The 25 percent tariff on steel and 10 percent tariff on aluminum, which took effect in June, have driven up costs sharply as domestic producer raise prices.

That, of course, is a major input cost for carmakers.

“Our biggest exposure, our biggest unmitigated exposure is really steel and aluminum when you look at all of the commodities,” said CEO Mary Barra. “And frankly, the biggest driver of that is steel.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-accuse-china-vicious-trade-tactics

Trump Accuses China Of ‘Vicious’ Trade Tactics As Tariffs Battle Escalates

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump on Wednesday accused China of “vicious” tactics on trade as he prepared for tough negotiations with European leaders in an escalating trade battle among world powers.

Trump tweeted that China was specifically targeting U.S. farmers with retaliatory tariffs because “they know I love & respect” them. His defense came after his administration announced a plan to provide $12 billion in emergency relief for farmers who have been slammed by the president’s trade disputes with China and other countries.

Addressing the China trade relationship, Trump wrote on Twitter, “They are being vicious in what will be their failed attempt. We were being nice – until now!”

The president was meeting at the White House later Wednesday with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and other European officials as their trade dispute threatens to spread to automobile production.

Trump has placed tariffs on imported steel and aluminum, saying they pose a threat to U.S. national security, an argument that the European Union and Canada rejects. He has also threatened to slap tariffs on imported cars, trucks and auto parts, potentially targeting imports that last year totaled $335 billion.

The European Union has warned that it will retaliate with tariffs on products worth $20 billion if Trump puts duties on cars and auto parts from Europe.

On Tuesday, Trump suggested in a tweet that “both the U.S. and the E.U. drop all Tariffs, Barriers and Subsidies! That would finally be called Free Market and Fair Trade! Hope they do it, we are ready – but they won’t!”

The Trump administration has imposed tariffs on $34 billion in Chinese goods in a dispute over Beijing’s high-tech industrial policies. China has struck back with duties on soybeans and pork, affecting Midwest farmers in a region of the country that supported the president in his 2016 campaign.

Trump has threatened to place penalty taxes on up to $500 billion in products imported from China, a move that would dramatically ratchet up the stakes in the trade dispute involving the globe’s biggest economies.

The moves have been unsettling to lawmakers with districts dependent upon manufacturers and farmers affected by the retaliatory tariffs.

The Agriculture Department said it would tap an existing program to provide $12 billion in direct payments to farmers and ranchers hurt by foreign retaliation to Trump’s tariffs and other assistance, such as the purchase of excess crops.

With congressional elections coming soon, the government action underscored administration concern about damage to U.S. farmers from Trump’s trade tariffs and the potential for losing House and Senate seats in the Midwest and elsewhere.

The administration said the program was just temporary.

“This is a short-term solution that will give President Trump and his administration the time to work on long-term trade deals,” said Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue as administration officials argued that the plan was not a “bailout” of the nation’s farmers.

But that provided little solace to rank-and-file Republicans, who said the tariffs are simply taxes and warned the action would open a Pandora’s box for other sectors of the economy.

“I want to know what we’re going to say to the automobile manufacturers and the petrochemical manufacturers and all the other people who are being hurt by tariffs,” said Sen. John Kennedy, R-La. “You’ve got to treat everybody the same.”

Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., said the Agriculture Department was “trying to put a Band-aid on a self-inflicted wound. The administration clobbers farmers with an unnecessary trade war then attempts to assuage them with taxpayer handouts. This bailout compounds bad policy with more bad policy.”

Trump pushed back against critics of his plan on Wednesday, telling them to “be cool” because “the end result will be worth it!”

On Twitter, Trump said people “snipping at your heels during a negotiation” will only delay the process. He wrote: “Negotiations are going really well, be cool. The end result will be worth it!”

The program is expected to start taking effect around Labor Day. Officials said the direct payments could help producers of soybeans, which have been hit hard by retaliation to the Trump tariffs, along with sorghum, corn, wheat, cotton, dairy and farmers raising hogs.

The food purchased from farmers would include some types of fruits, nuts, rice, legumes, dairy products, beef and pork, officials said.

Agriculture officials said they would not need congressional approval and the money would come through the Commodity Credit Corporation, a wing of the department that addresses agricultural prices.

The officials said payments couldn’t be calculated until after harvests come in. Brad Karmen, the USDA’s assistant deputy administrator for farm programs, noted that the wheat harvest is already in, so wheat farmers could get payments sooner than other growers.

Soybeans are likely to be the largest sector affected by the programs. Soybean prices have plunged 18 percent in the past two months.

The Agriculture Department predicted before the trade fights that U.S. farm income would drop this year to $60 billion, or half the $120 billion of five years ago.

Mark Martinson, who raises crops and cattle in north-central North Dakota and is president of the U.S. Durum Growers Association, said the $12 billion figure “sounds huge” but there are many farmers in need. “I don’t think this will cover us for a very long time — and it might not even buy me a tank of diesel. I think it will only put out the fire a little bit.”

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-ka...because-they-didnt-like-my-questions-earlier/

CNN’s Kaitlan Collins: WH Blocked Me from POTUS Event Because They Didn’t Like My Questions Earlier

The White House reportedly banned CNN White House correspondent Kaitlan Collins from a Rose Garden event on Wednesday.

Collins’ disinvite came after she asked President Donald Trump questions during an earlier Oval Office photo op with Trump and Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European Commission.

Collins was not the only reporter lobbing questions at Trump. But after her questions about Russian President Vladimir Putin and Michael Cohen, Collins was singled out and told she could not longer participate in the Rose Garden event.

“They said ‘You are dis-invited from the press availability in the Rose Garden today,'” Collins told CNN. “They said that the questions I asked were inappbropriate for that venue. And they said I was shouting.”

CNN is standing by their pool reporter and released a statement making it clear she did nothing wrong.

“Just because the White House is uncomfortable with a question regarding the news of day doesn’t mean the question isn’t relevant and shouldn’t be asked,” CNN said in their statement that was tweeted out on Wednesday. “This decision to bar a member of the press is retaliatory in nature and not indicative of an open and free press. We demand better.”

The White House has not commented further on the matter.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/new-poll-trumps-numbers-take-on-water-in-the-great-lakes-states

New Polls: Trump’s Numbers Underwater In The Great Lakes States

President Trump’s approval ratings are in the toilet in a trio of key upper Midwestern states, according to new polling conducted for NBC News by Marist College.

Voters disapprove of the the job Trump is doing in Michigan and Wisconsin, two states he won in 2016, by double-digit margins. That’s true as well as in Minnesota, where he fell just short of winning less than two years ago.

In Michigan, 54 percent of voters disapprove of his job performance, with just 36 percent approving. Those numbers are similar in Wisconsin, with 52 percent disapproving to just 36 percent approving. In Minnesota, Trump’s approval rate is at 51 percent, with 38 percent approving.

Democrats lead in the generic ballot question of which party voters want to control Congress by eight points in Michigan and Minnesota, and nine points in Wisconsin.

Those are dismal numbers for Trump as he prepares for his 2020 reelection fight. And they’re even worse for down-ticket Republicans, who have a number of key races across the three states.

Republicans are staring down tough battles to hold onto the governorships of Wisconsin, where Gov. Scott Walker (R) is seeking a third term, and Michigan, which has an open seat. They still hope to seriously contest at least one Senate seat across the three states, most likely against Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI). And they are defending more than a half-dozen key House seats across the trio of states — not to mention their two best (and possibly only) House pickup opportunities, in Minnesota.

These polls were conducted mostly right after Trump’s disastrous meeting with Vladimir Putin in Helsinki last week, so he could see some improvement as that fades and the next near-daily controversy arises. But for now, Trump and Republicans should feel panicked about their standing in this trio of key states.

Back