Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official NFL Offseason Thread

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...flanked-dallas-cowboys-greats-start-nfl-draft

Roger Goodell to be flanked by Cowboys greats at start of NFL draft]
FRISCO, Texas -- Commissioner Roger Goodell will have some company when he walks to the front of the stage Thursday night to start the NFL draft at AT&T Stadium -- the home of the Dallas Cowboys.

Booed in the past when taking the stage, Goodell is expected to be flanked by some Cowboys greats -- Hall of Fame quarterbacks Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman, as well as probable future Hall of Fame tight end Jason Witten.

"I'm sure he's going to get a good response with us being out there," Staubach said. "If they boo, all of us are in trouble."

Cowboys fans have not been pleased with Goodell since he established and upheld running back Ezekiel Elliott's six-game suspension last season. Without Elliott, the Cowboys (9-7) went 3-3 during his absence and missed the playoffs.

To start last year's draft in Philadelphia, Goodell was soundly jeered and actually playfully implored the crowd to boo louder, which they obliged.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones has had his tussles with Goodell as well. He recently was forced to pay part of the NFL's legal fees for the Elliott case as well as his fight against Goodell's contract extension, but Jones said he is hoping the crowd takes it a little easy on the commissioner and thinks about future drafts returning to AT&T Stadium.

"I don't know of anybody, maybe other than me, that's had more boos than Roger has," Jones said at the pre-draft news conference. "I know about how that works. I do hope we can be positive in our reception. We are going to do something pretty special, and he did have a final say in that."

Goodell is so pussy....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...nsibility-offensive-tweets-sent-high-schooler

Josh Allen takes responsibility for tweets sent as high schooler

Potential No. 1 draft pick Josh Allen took responsibility for tweets he sent while he was in high school after they were made public Wednesday night, noting that their release put him "in a panic."

"If I could go back in time, I would never have done this in a heartbeat," Allen told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Thursday. "At the time, I obviously didn't know how harmful it was and now has become.

"I hope you know and others know I'm not the type of person I was at 14 and 15 that I tweeted so recklessly. ... I don't want that to be the impression of who I am because that is not me. I apologize for what I did."

The tweets, sent in 2012 and 2013, no longer appear on his account. However, they contained racial slurs and other offensive language, according to Yahoo! Sports.

The former Wyoming quarterback acknowledged the tweets to ESPN's Stephen A. Smith late Wednesday night and apologized, saying he was young and dumb.

Allen told Smith that some of the tweets made reference to rap lyrics and television, including a saying that was part of an episode from the sitcom "Modern Family."

On ESPN's First Take on Thursday, NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported that his sources indicated that Allen's Twitter account was vetted in January and that the offensive tweets were removed then.

Allen told Mortensen he thought he had gone through his Twitter account a year ago.

"I had even typed in keywords to see if anything I had tweeted popped up that I needed to clean up, but nothing like these came up or I just missed them," Allen said. "My agency went over any past social media, and these didn't come up after I did the search."

He said some of the messages might have been sent by friends, as they occasionally took each other's phones to send tweets.

Allen noted that the attention the tweets have garnered has marred the run-up to the first round of the NFL draft Thursday night.

"It sucks," Allen told Mortensen. "My family is hurting. We never envisioned a day or night like this."

Ranked as the top quarterback in the draft, according to ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr., Allen is projected by many to be selected by the Cleveland Browns with the No. 1 pick.

A team with a top-five draft pick told Schefter that it knew nothing about the tweets and that it had "never heard anything but positives" about Allen.

Allen told Mortensen that no NFL teams have reached out about the tweets. He also said that he hopes his future NFL teammates will understand what happened and how he has changed.

"That's my plan -- to show the type of person I am now," Allen said. "Whatever team picks me, they are going to get that from me. I will set the record straight for any team, any teammate, the media, and I think once they meet me and they're around me, see how I act and how I think, that it's not going to be a problem at all."

I can care less about them tweets from high school.

My thing is how is he regarded so highly. He threw 56 percent in college playing poor competition. What do they think he gonna throw in the pros

It should be a draft day tradition to delete old tweets the day of the draft for any potential top pick

Now you know somebody BEEN holdin' on to those tweets waitin' to throw it down (@ the right time) like the Big Joker in a spades game. lol

Ready for this draft weekend to end. This has felt like one of the longest offseasons ever. Is this what happens when Philly wins something?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...nt-cut-qb-josh-allen-racist-tweets/555146002/

As NFL draft approaches, excuses won’t cut it for QB Josh Allen and those racist tweets

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Being young and dumb is no excuse.

Not here, not now with Josh Allen poised to become the face of an NFL franchise.

The former Wyoming quarterback, with the most powerful arm in the NFL Draft that begins Thursday night, suddenly has a red flag attached to his name after Yahoo! Sports revealed Allen used a racial slur repeatedly in a series of Twitter posts while he was in high school and spewed some other race-based nonsense that makes me wonder about his character.

If I’m running an NFL team, I’m wondering about locker room chemistry and whether Allen is the guy who can effectively lead teammates, many of whom happen to be African-Americans.

Yes, there’s something else to evaluate.

That Allen posted the racially insensitive comments as a teenager, rather than, say last week, might represent some growth. But he’s no victim here. He should have known better back then, like he should know better now.

Allen was unavailable for comment, prior to heading to AT&T Stadium for the draft. His agent, Tom Condon, declined comment when reached by USA TODAY Sports. To this point, Allen’s public response consisted of a damage-control phone call to ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith.

On his popular TV show, Smith described Allen as “contrite.” Maybe that’s how Allen really feels. But it’s also typical for how people sound when they are trying to control damage while their draft stock and reputation suddenly is enveloped in some serious gray matter. Smith’s insistence that this episode shouldn’t affect Allen’s draft stock isn’t surprising, either.

Before this surfaced, my dominant impression of Allen began with his rocket arm, although questions included whether he will adapt well to the faster NFL game and sophisticated defensive schemes.

Now the first thing that pops into mind are the tweets and his cavalier use of the N-word that as a teenager I pledged never to use. And I’m wondering whether Allen the teenager in rural California was just stupid and insensitive, seemingly thinking he could write the racial slurs that undoubtedly are outlandishly promoted in our society by rappers, comedians and others, without regard to the manner in which his language is a representation of himself.

It’s a tough lesson for Allen: What you say and do – whenever that stuff was tapped put by your fingers -- affects your reputation. He’ll have to deal with the fact that it was exposed.

In the fishbowl environment of the NFL, there’s no end to the scrutiny, fair or not.

Remember, Colin Kaepernick, pursuing a collusion case against the NFL, still can’t get a job in the league after launching a movement protesting police brutality and societal inequalities.

Sure, the leak of the tweets, deleted months ago, constitutes another draft hit job obviously designed to influence the rising draft stock of Allen, projected as a high first-round pick even reportedly being considered by the Cleveland Browns for the top pick overall.

Two years ago, footage was leaked just before the draft showing Laremy Tunsil smoking from a bong. Tunsil, the best tackle in his draft, was talked about as a potential No. 1 overall, too. He tumbled to the Miami Dolphins as the 13th pick in the draft.

Maybe a team leaked the Allen tweets, hoping that he slides to their spot?

That’s a theory. Yet the tweets were deleted in January. Whoever captured the posts acted before that time. How would a team even know it could benefit from a draft slide at that point, with the evaluation process in the preliminary stage? I’d suspect it’s more likely that someone with interests tied to one of the other highly rated quarterbacks would be more motivated to get so down and dirty.

If the Browns take Allen at No. 1, or whoever picks him, they’ll need to realize that this development comes with his package as an added layer of scrutiny.

Allen will still get his chance to blossom into an NFL star. If he does that, this hit on his reputation could blow over. Bust or not, there’s suddenly something else for people to watch when it comes to Allen’s development on the NFL stage.

Bruh I swear I HOPE it goes Mayfield-Darnold so the Jets can take the Rosen the GOAT and he can lead us to the promised land b

Back