Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official 2018/2019 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CeLLar-DooR

Articulated way better than I can.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...e-a8890911.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true

This isn’t - or at least shouldn’t be - a revolutionary point. Equally, it should be blindingly obvious that players are to a large extent at the mercy of the team around them. And yet still many United fans - and some highly respected voices within the media - insist that Pogba must be sold if United are to realise their full potential, seemingly blind to the notion that perhaps the reason often Pogba looks bad is because often United are bad. And that the last time he played for someone good, they won the World Cup.

This, in itself, is a phenomenon with many origins. Partly it’s football’s curious blame culture, where triumphs are collective but failures individual. Partly it’s this country’s traditional fascination with the midfielder as one-man hurricane, and United’s own historical fortune in that department: Edwards, Robson, Keane. Partly it’s where United are as a club right now: marooned between a gilded past and an uncertain future, and in search of saviours who can bridge the two. Pogba may not be the world’s greatest midfielder. But anyone seriously arguing that United would be a better team without him is sadly deluding themselves.

Last edited:
@CeLLar-DooR

Articulated way better than I can.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...e-a8890911.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true

This isn’t - or at least shouldn’t be - a revolutionary point. Equally, it should be blindingly obvious that players are to a large extent at the mercy of the team around them. And yet still many United fans - and some highly respected voices within the media - insist that Pogba must be sold if United are to realise their full potential, seemingly blind to the notion that perhaps the reason often Pogba looks bad is because often United are bad. And that the last time he played for someone good, they won the World Cup.

This, in itself, is a phenomenon with many origins. Partly it’s football’s curious blame culture, where triumphs are collective but failures individual. Partly it’s this country’s traditional fascination with the midfielder as one-man hurricane, and United’s own historical fortune in that department: Edwards, Robson, Keane. Partly it’s where United are as a club right now: marooned between a gilded past and an uncertain future, and in search of saviours who can bridge the two. Pogba may not be the world’s greatest midfielder. But anyone seriously arguing that United would be a better team without him is sadly deluding themselves.

I'll read the rest later but from this excerpt it's the same ol' "Pogba isn't playin' well because of other people" line. It's not true man he's not performed consistently for United because he's just not that good. I'd ask this brudda what he's seen from Pogba that says he's someone to build a team around.

Even if he were a top player, which I don't think it's fair to believe any more, I wouldn't wanna build a team around someone whose attitude can change so quickly and for very little reason.

Lastly, no one knows Pogbas position. No one. There's a reason no one plays him AM. I'd ask this brudda where he should be played.

But yeah man I don't think he put the argument better than you did at all.

I'll read the rest later but from this excerpt it's the same ol' "Pogba isn't playin' well because of other people" line. It's not true man he's not performed consistently for United because he's just not that good. I'd ask this brudda what he's seen from Pogba that says he's someone to build a team around.

Even if he were a top player, which I don't think it's fair to believe any more, I wouldn't wanna build a team around someone whose attitude can change so quickly and for very little reason.

Lastly, no one knows Pogbas position. No one. There's a reason no one plays him AM. I'd ask this brudda where he should be played.

But yeah man I don't think he put the argument better than you did at all.

I quoted the last part, read the article.

"But against all this, he’s arguably a more complete midfielder than any in the elite game. How many of the players above can tackle or leap like Pogba? How many possess his agility or simple straight-line speed? How many can boast Pogba’s array of options for beating a man or getting out of a tight spot? And - perhaps most saliently of all - how many of the so-called great central midfielders in world football can match Pogba’s blunt numbers?"

This is the disparity between people like me and niggas who still support Pogba. The idea that Pogba can do everything is super fanciful. The idea that he's mastery of many tools is was make s him a player is a lie.

No one should be believin' Pogba is a top player any more and this article compares him with Modric and Kante without notin' that they were both world class in midfield BEFORE they got to top clubs, and that totally shits on the "he's playin' in a poor team" line.

Also, we went and got Matic specifically for Pogba. We played Herrera in midfield so Pogba could be freer. We had a 27 goal striker and the second best defence in the division. All last season. What more does this nigga need?????

Spurs Ajax reunion!

12863862-0-image-a-107_1556548564148.jpg

It starts with "Luka Modric doesn't score". I'm not feelin' it already because I don't like this narrative either but lemme finish

But it's true. So let’s swap Pogba for Modric this season.

Does he get goals? No . Assists? Give or take will be similar to Pogba due to the attack being so inconsistent. Behind him he would have a dodgy back four no matter who plays and a keeper that’s lost confidence.

I’m 98% certain that Ballon D’or winner Modric would be looking average as fuck in this team.

The biggest thing I took away from that article is that when the team does well, it’s the team that gets credit. When the team does poor we automatically blame individuals.

And when you look at Pool and City, there’s is no one player carrying the team. Everybody makes a difference.

Also, we went and got Matic specifically for Pogba. We played Herrera in midfield so Pogba could be freer. We had a 27 goal striker and the second best defence in the division. All last season. What more does this nigga need?????

But where is those players this season?

But it's true. So let’s swap Pogba for Modric this season.

Does he get goals? No . Assists? Give or take will be similar to Pogba due to the attack being so inconsistent. Behind him he would have a dodgy back four no matter who plays and a keeper that’s lost confidence.

I’m 98% certain that Ballon D’or winner Modric would be looking average as fuck in this team.

The biggest thing I took away from that article is that when the team does well, it’s the team that gets credit. When the team does poor we automatically blame individuals.

And when you look at Pool and City, there’s is no one player carrying the team. Everybody makes a difference.

It doesn't work because Modric has many seasons of undoubtedly WC consistency. He's a world class player who is gettin' on in years AND is playin' in an agin'/relatively average squad.

As for the credit ting that's all subjective. The media, fans and pundits alike are very quick to say it was Pogba who drove us to those wins when Ole first got here, but then niggas are quiet for the rest of the 2 and a half years where Pogs was mediocre.

Also if Pogba were a midfield dictator like Modders and he got like 2/3 goals and assists each per season he'd be much better than Modric and I'd be a very happy fan. That's not his game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back