Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official 2017/18 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premier League winter break: How will it work and when will it be?

The Premier League has confirmed it will introduce a winter break from 2019-20. Here, we set out exactly how it will fit into the English calendar.

Why is the winter break being introduced?

Foreign managers have long campaigned for a winter break, as is enjoyed by all other major European leagues. It is claimed the rest benefits players for the second half of the season, especially those in the latter stages of the Champions League and the Europa League.

It is also hoped that giving England players a winter break ahead of Euro 2020 will give the national side a better chance of success.

When would the first winter break be?

It will be introduced from 2019-20, when the next TV deal kicks in. The recent TV rights deals, which were awarded earlier this year, were more flexible to allow for a winter break if desired.

What date would the winter break start?

The first winter break, or "midseason player break" as the Premier League is calling it, will take place in February 2020.

But, to satisfy the demands of TV companies, it is a split break. Premier League football will not actually stop. Essentially, one full round of Premier League games is split in half and played over two weekends.

That means one half of the Premier League will take two weeks off, then the other half will do the same, but with an overlap. This means there are no blank weekends for broadcasting -- five games on the first weekend and five on the second.

With the FA Cup fifth round moving, that suggests the winter break will begin after the fixtures on the weekend of Saturday, Feb. 1. There would then be five games each on the following two weekends, before a full programme returns on the weekend of Feb. 22.

So the packed festive schedule will remain?

Yes, it is far too popular among fans and broadcasters. Even managers such as former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger have admitted that the schedule through Christmas and the New Year is an important part of English football.

How long will the break be?

All clubs are set to be guaranteed a minimum of 13 days between games, which would mirror the system in Italy and Spain. Germany has a huge winter break; it lasted 22 days this season but was even longer in 2016-17 it was 30 days. The Bundesliga has four fewer rounds of fixtures, while there is only one cup competition with single legs.

Would all English football stop?

No, the EFL will not follow suit even at Championship level. With 46 rounds of games to play it would struggle to find space.

Would the FA Cup be affected?

Yes, as one round of Premier League games will now take up two weekends, the FA Cup fifth round -- which would have been scheduled for the weekend of February 15, 2020 -- will move to midweek and replays will be scrapped in this round. Replays had already been ditched in the quarterfinals as of this season.

Any drawn fifth-round ties would go to extra time and penalties. Replays would still remain in the earlier rounds.

It had been suggested that the whole competition could move to midweek, leaving all weekends free for Premier League football. However, lucrative TV and sponsorship deals have already been signed and sealed and there is no real appetite to devalue the importance of the cup this way.

As a round of the FA Cup will no longer be played on a weekend, TV rights holders will be compensated for this change by the Premier League through its own broadcast deals.

So they've fudged the fixtures so that there's actually no winter break - teams get roughly two weeks off but not at the same time so the season still continues. Money talks.

Ryan Bertrand says he will prove Gareth Southgate wrong for leaving him out of the England squad after revealing how he was told he'd miss out on World Cup while on holiday
  • Ryan Bertrand was enjoying a family holiday when Gareth Southgate called him
  • The England boss delivered tough news that he wasn't going to the World Cup
  • Bertrand had become part of the Three Lions furniture under Southgate
  • The former Chelsea man has now vowed to proved the national manager wrong

‘It was a short getaway to be back in time for England,’ Bertrand says. ‘Then the phone rang...it was more shock, silence and reflection. The chat wasn’t too long. He broke the news, there were some awkward silences and then it was over.

‘I didn’t try to convince him he is wrong. That was pointless, it was done, the decision was made.

‘It was nice that he had the respect to call me. I never presume but I was pretty confident I would be on the plane. I had been heavily involved, so it was a surprise. There were no hints during previous meet-ups that I had to change — or that I would be left out.’

The next morning brought a more emotional conversation with his mother Debbie.

‘That was hard,’ he admits. ‘She was upset. She was the one always there on the touchline with me as a kid. On those cold Sunday mornings and wet Tuesday nights when I was at Gillingham, we dreamed about World Cups.

‘But we are realistic. She doesn’t think I’m Messi! The whole thing has put me into a state of reflection, questioning ifs, buts and maybes. Should I have done this or that? I analysed my season. I was in a relegation battle, which is not ideal.

'But on individual comparisons, I deserve to be on the plane. I assessed my game time and contributions against my rivals and I was very competitive, if not leading in the statistics.

'I did not really understand the logic. With the numbers, it did not really add up.’

The statistics do show that Bertrand played more games, made more tackles, crossed more balls and headed more away than any of his direct England competitors.

Asked last week to name his most difficult opponent in the Premier League, Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva immediately name-checked Bertrand. The versatility of Young and Delph has been mentioned as a reason for their inclusion.

Bertrand counters: ‘But I played wing-back in a five at the end of the season, which is how England play. I also played in a central three for Southampton with Virgil van Dijk and Jose Fonte, and we went on Southampton’s record clean sheet run, six on the bounce.

‘I played left-midfield in a Champions League final for Chelsea. It is perhaps an oversight in the manager’s analysis and I find that hard to take.’

Earlier this week Rose said that Bertrand would be entitled to feel ‘very angry’.

4D0FD1E500000578-5821965-image-a-9_1528489270986.jpg

‘Did my club situation influence Gareth’s decision? It probably had some sort of sway.

‘But the flipside is: a manager could assess it and think “If X player is doing that much in an under-performing team, how much could he do in a team dominating games and attacking non-stop?” Surely those numbers would only improve.’

Ryan Bertrand says he will prove Gareth Southgate wrong for leaving him out of the England squad after revealing how he was told he'd miss out on World Cup while on holiday

• Ryan Bertrand was enjoying a family holiday when Gareth Southgate called him
    • The England boss delivered tough news that he wasn't going to the World Cup
    • Bertrand had become part of the Three Lions furniture under Southgate
    • The former Chelsea man has now vowed to proved the national manager wrong
‘It was a short getaway to be back in time for England,’ Bertrand says. ‘Then the phone rang...it was more shock, silence and reflection. The chat wasn’t too long. He broke the news, there were some awkward silences and then it was over.

‘I didn’t try to convince him he is wrong. That was pointless, it was done, the decision was made.

‘It was nice that he had the respect to call me. I never presume but I was pretty confident I would be on the plane. I had been heavily involved, so it was a surprise. There were no hints during previous meet-ups that I had to change — or that I would be left out.’

The next morning brought a more emotional conversation with his mother Debbie.

‘That was hard,’ he admits. ‘She was upset. She was the one always there on the touchline with me as a kid. On those cold Sunday mornings and wet Tuesday nights when I was at Gillingham, we dreamed about World Cups.

‘But we are realistic. She doesn’t think I’m Messi! The whole thing has put me into a state of reflection, questioning ifs, buts and maybes. Should I have done this or that? I analysed my season. I was in a relegation battle, which is not ideal.

'But on individual comparisons, I deserve to be on the plane. I assessed my game time and contributions against my rivals and I was very competitive, if not leading in the statistics.

'I did not really understand the logic. With the numbers, it did not really add up.’

The statistics do show that Bertrand played more games, made more tackles, crossed more balls and headed more away than any of his direct England competitors.

Asked last week to name his most difficult opponent in the Premier League, Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva immediately name-checked Bertrand. The versatility of Young and Delph has been mentioned as a reason for their inclusion.

Bertrand counters: ‘But I played wing-back in a five at the end of the season, which is how England play. I also played in a central three for Southampton with Virgil van Dijk and Jose Fonte, and we went on Southampton’s record clean sheet run, six on the bounce.

‘I played left-midfield in a Champions League final for Chelsea. It is perhaps an oversight in the manager’s analysis and I find that hard to take.’

Earlier this week Rose said that Bertrand would be entitled to feel ‘very angry’.

4D0FD1E500000578-5821965-image-a-9_1528489270986.jpg

‘Did my club situation influence Gareth’s decision? It probably had some sort of sway.

‘But the flipside is: a manager could assess it and think “If X player is doing that much in an under-performing team, how much could he do in a team dominating games and attacking non-stop?” Surely those numbers would only improve.’

I could be wrong about this but this is one of the problems with the English team. By looking at the stats that was posted Bertrand should be on the team. But since he played on a team that was fighting to stay up and not on a “big six” team, he gets overlooked. It’s not the first time this has happened.

European football is worth a record £22bn, says Deloitte

The big five European leagues generated a record €14.7bn (£12.6bn) in revenue in 2016-17, a 9% annual increase, according to new figures from Deloitte.
_101904543_bigfivegraph.png

It says the European football market is now worth some €25.5bn (£21.9bn).

The English Premier League was the market leader, with record revenue of £4.5bn, as each of the 20 clubs set their own annual revenue record.

In revenue terms, the Premier League is 86% larger than its nearest competitor, Spain's La Liga.

Deloitte said the financial results of the 2016-17 football season reflected a new era of improved profitability and financial stability for European football clubs.

'Resilience and strength'

It said the Premier League had benefited from the impact of its record broadcasting deals, as well as from operating in a regulated business environment, via Uefa Financial Fair Play regulations and the league's own cost control measures.

"Just a decade ago, 60% of Premier League clubs were making an operating loss, whereas in the 2016-17 season, all clubs were profitable," said Dan Jones, head of Deloitte's sport business group.

"In addition, and for the first time ever, Premier League clubs' revenues have grown at a faster rate than wages over a 10-year period."

He said that although the sale of the Premier League's domestic TV rights for the 2019-20 to 2021-22 seasons did not deliver the expected financial increase, this should not be a cause for concern.

"The fact that the Premier League has once again shown its resilience and strength by retaining the vast majority of its audience and value has provided market leading financial security to clubs for at least the next four years, providing they are not relegated," Mr Jones added.

"Indeed, once the sales process for the remaining international rights is completed, we expect the league will have delivered overall increases in television revenue."

Tax contribution

Other findings regarding English football finances in 2016-17 include:

The top 92 Premier League and Football League clubs generated a record £5.5bn in revenue.

Premier League clubs' revenues increased to £4.5bn, an increase of 25% as the first year of a new broadcast rights cycle saw clubs paid between £95m and £150m in central distributions.

All top-flight clubs made an operating profit. Championship clubs generated record combined revenues of £720m, a 30% increase from 2015-16.

The three newly relegated clubs generated almost one-third of this total revenue.

It is now more than five years since an English football club entered insolvency proceedings, reflecting better financial discipline and the positive impact of regulation.

The 92 Premier League and Football League clubs contributed £1.9bn to the UK government in taxes (2015-16: £1.6bn).European participation

Meanwhile, Scottish Premiership revenues increased by 63% to £181m in 2016-17, driven by the on-field success of Celtic, and Rangers' participation in Scotland's top flight.

Celtic's participation in the 2016-17 Uefa Champions League contributed €32m, more than the amount distributed across all 12 clubs from the Scottish leagues' own broadcast revenues in 2016-17.

Aggregate match-day and commercial revenues both increased by more than 40%, as Rangers participation in the top division helped to drive Scotland's top tier back into the top 10 revenue generating leagues in Europe.

Inter impact

Outside the UK, the success of La Liga's collective sales approach saw broadcast revenue growth of 20%.

That followed on from 26% growth in the 2015-16 season, has meant collective La Liga revenue grew to a record €2.9bn in 2016-17.

The Spanish league has overtaken the Bundesliga to be the world's second-highest revenue-generating league.

Meanwhile, the German Bundesliga remained the best attended European league, with average crowds of over 44,000.

Last edited:
Bundesliga clubs collectively maintained their strong overall revenue growth, up 15% from 2015-16 to €1.4bn.

Italy's Serie A saw revenue grow by 8% to more than €2bn for the first time. The majority of this growth came from commercial sources, with revenue increasing by €91m (17%) on 2015-16.

More than three-quarters of this was was solely attributable to Internazionale, following the club's acquisition by Chinese electronics retailer Suning in June 2016.

France's Ligue 1 remained the lowest revenue-generating of Europe's "big five" leagues, at €1.6bn in 2016-17, despite entering a new four-year domestic broadcasting rights cycle.

Soooo the Fekir deal to Liverpool is off. Seems they had him in the kit, doing an interview for LFC TV before the results of his medical came in. Word is he has a fucked up knee that may or may not hold out.

Lyon saying they pulled the deal after Liverpool tried to renegotiate. Streets is saying Liverpool pulled the deal.

Either way it’s a L for Lolverpool!

Soooo the Fekir deal to Liverpool is off. Seems they had him in the kit, doing an interview for LFC TV before the results of his medical came in. Word is he has a fucked up knee that may or may not hold out.

Lyon saying they pulled the deal after Liverpool tried to renegotiate. Streets is saying Liverpool pulled the deal.

Either way it’s a L for Lolverpool!

Just saw that shit. Suspect business move by pool.

Not going to defend Liverpool

'He didn't prepare for Iceland': Jamie Vardy takes a swipes at Roy Hodgson claiming he had no plan to see off Iceland at Euro 2016

‘The Euros was a low for English football,’ he said. ‘I don’t think we were prepared for every eventuality. When we went a goal behind against Iceland, we didn’t know what to do. A lot of us just expected to win. We weren’t prepared for the game — and it backfired.

‘We just didn’t know what to do to get back in the game when we were behind because we just hadn’t planned for it.

‘It’s different now. I think if you asked every single player what the difference is now they would say that we are prepared as a team for every scenario.’

Vardy is more confident now, believing that Gareth Southgate has left no stone unturned.

‘The boss has done it right,’ said the Leicester City striker.

‘He gave us all a week off after our last games of the season and that was important. It gives you the chance to just forget about everything and when you come back in you are refreshed and ready to get stuck back into work.

‘Two years ago that didn’t happen. We finished the season and it was straight into the Euros and I think we suffered because of that.’

Niggas, Stan went in on Wrighty today, straight called him Tom. It went on for hours but here’s what kicked it off

CFA94FC0-B2D7-4013-9734-6682487FD057.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back