Welcome To aBlackWeb

Vampire Voyage

PRAISE : Director: Andre Ovredal and writers Bragi F. Schut and Zak Olkewicz,take all the creepiness of Nosferatu and some of what made Dracula so legendary and turn it up a few gory notches in this story about the crew of and last Voyage of the doomed ship Demeter.
As Clemens Corey Hawkins does a great job as a black man carrying the weight of racism and exclusion from a promising carLiam Cunninghameer in the late 1800s. Equally great is Liam Cunningham as Captain Eliot ready to retire and take care of his beloved grandson Toby (Woody Norman).
The rest of the cast does a fine job including Cast: Aisling Franciosi, Liam Cunningham, David Dastmalchian, Woody Norman,and last but definitely not least Javier Botet as the legendary character Dracula.
There are some truly haunting, frightening and gory moments(not for the faint of heart) laced with some good visuals and jump scares as the crew does their best to stay alive.
Some nice nods to classic horror films with great visuals and the personalities of the various characters.

PROBLEMS: The movie makes a couple of missteps as it plays out when characters don't do the obvious things they should do.
I think the movie would have worked better for me if it had been structured differently instead of the basic well how did this all come about start.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Finally went to see this. Had some corny moments. I liked the way they portrayed the vampire though. I like vampire movies though so I'm a little biased

Didn't care for the womans story. I'm a little confused on why it took her so long to turn. They said the transfusions but the boy was smaller and turned faster. Surprised Dracula only brought the woman to feed on

The corny moments was the crew doing things at night when they should have noticed that sunlight had something to do with something

Also the surprised the movie killed the kid off. Usually kids are off limits

I liked that Dracula could fly and seems like it doesn't have the weakness to crosses. Curious what else besides sunlight harms it

Finally went to see this. Had some corny moments. I liked the way they portrayed the vampire though. I like vampire movies though so I'm a little biased

Didn't care for the womans story. I'm a little confused on why it took her so long to turn. They said the transfusions but the boy was smaller and turned faster. Surprised Dracula only brought the woman to feed on

The corny moments was the crew doing things at night when they should have noticed that sunlight had something to do with something

Also the surprised the movie killed the kid off. Usually kids are off limits

I liked that Dracula could fly and seems like it doesn't have the weakness to crosses. Curious what else besides sunlight harms it
My guess is he have to nearly drain them to death for them to turn faster. He was slowly draining her, so she'd last longer

{Highlighted} That is exactly what I was thinking when 1st watched it. I don't understand why they wanted till night to set a trap, when they could have done what they were going to do during the day

I liked it but it felt more like a preamble rather than shining in it's own light. As a standalone movie, it's fine. As a lead-in to another movie, possibly even a trilogy? It was terrific. I genuinely wanted to follow Clemens on his vampire hunting journey at the end. It's sad that it wasn't better received as it's unlikely I'll ever get to see what Corey Hawkins' character gets up to in London.

8/10

Fun fact: main character is actually a black American and not a black Brit. He'll be playing Harpo in Color Purple remake (yeah, yeah, I know. Remakes 🤢).

Back