Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Dream Sells 75% of His Catalog For $23M

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
R&B impresario the-Dream has made a startling decision over his master catalog. Hipgnosis Songs, a music IP investment firm set up by a former entertainment manager who once handled Beyonce and Guns N' Roses' affairs, struck a deal with the artist for $23 million dollars. The partnership will hand Hipgnosis a 75 percent stake in The-Dream's 302-song catalog.

The remaining 25 percent will be retained. Of course, the many accolades and songwriting credits will also stay perched on his mantle. We're talking: 25 Billboard top 10 songs and four Grammy Award trophies, for works either written, co-written or produced by The-Dream. some of his notable songwriting credits include Rihanna's "Umbrella," Bey's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)," Kanye West's "All Of The Lights" and countless more.

As part of the deal, The-Dream will become part of Hipgnosis' advisory board. Aside from capturing the 75 percent stake, Hipgnosis has identified 7 other "pipeline" catalogs which would bring them over the one thousand mark for Global artists charting over the last 50 years. The arrangement is supposed to help artist develop a low risk strategy for royalty returns. In the year 2018, you can buy stocks in an artist's body of work. Say The-Dream's music is featured in a movie, well you get the picture.

Invest wisely folks.

Sooooo he just have them .75 of each Dollar made off the songs?

I have no idea

He probably paid then to announce that

giphy (9).gif

Of course I'm not in The Dream's pockets, but w/ his catalog his publishing checks should forever be crazy!

If he strapped for cash I kinda understand, but if I was in his position I would never sell a majority of my pub (over 50%) unless that number is sky high! 23 M's sounds great, but that company gonna come out winning in the long run.

I wonder if the $ is an annuitization or if he got a lump.

What does this mean though? He no longer owns his songs?

I imagine he can write more and make more millions.

It means whatever he was making money wise off of those songs, instead of making that same amount in the future, he would make 25% on whatever profit comes from his catalog.

But now he is part of the board of possibly a big company too. I dont know 100% if this is a deal for any future recordings either, i assume it would be though.

He should have put a date on when his shit comes back to him .....shit like this is why George Clinton is performing this Sunday

This doesn't appear to include future songs he will write. This is a good come up

How many kids? (Update: he has EIGHT.)

And y'all said back in the Contraceptive thread that I was scared of kids. Nah. I'm scared of THIS shit. That moon-headed negro goin be slaving for them kids/vulture BMs for the next 20 years for pennies after everyone gets broke off.

So, once again, the rule is.....

giphy.gif

Y'all goin learn.

I thought it was 23 million just for the songs he released himself, and I was like "shit, that's dope considering folks ain't really checkin for the dream like that. but for some big hits he wrote like umbrella and single ladies? I wonder if it's worth it

How many kids? (Update: he has EIGHT.)

And y'all said back in the Contraceptive thread that I was scared of kids. Nah. I'm scared of THIS shit. That moon-headed negro goin be slaving for them kids/vulture BMs for the next 20 years for pennies after everyone gets broke off.

So, once again, the rule is.....

giphy.gif

Y'all goin learn.
I have him and Future as the dumbest musicians of the 21 century

Niggas throw all caution to the wind and say fuck it for some raw pussy

And I read earlier that one of the Migos got 4 kids now that Cardi popped. Its got damn ridiculousness

It’s an interesting situation. Long term I wanna see how much this generates for bigger artists. Wonder how it benifits ghostwriters who are behind multiple hits like the Dream.

Back