OPINION The Concept Of A "Culture Vulture"

How about wearing a suit and tie?

When White people wear baggy jeans and du rags we call them culture vultures.

Wearing a suit & tie isn't being a culture vulture cuz wearing a suit & tie isn't a fuckn culture, you dumb fuck.

Someone throwing bar-mitzvah for there son that's not Jewish, could be considered a culture vulture.

Someone throwing a quinceanera for there daughter that's not Mexican, could be considered a culture vulture.

Learning how to play the violin is not..
giphy.gif

Reactions: Blue_London
I get that, but what about when Black people do things that are traditionally "White" culture? Are those Black people "culture vultures"?

What are things we do that are of white culture that we only do for financial gain?

If a rapper from NYC who never left NYC decided to change his whole career over to bluegrass music because it’s popular with no knowledge or care for it then that’s an example of a culture vulture.

You’re using jobs and education as an example is confusing and makes what you’re saying odd

I think today the term is so loosely used that most of the time people just use it to diss artists they genuinely do not like.

A culture vulture is someone who is not of the culture, has no foundation or understanding of the culture, who is simply using hip-hop merely for financial gain and has no love or care for it whatsoever.

Examples of this can be Lyor Cohen, Everlast (Whitey Ford), Billy Ray Cyrus, Miley Cyrus, Riff Raff, Lil Pump, Kylie and Kendall Jenner/The Kardashians, Post Malone among others.

The term is actually taken from a book about American businesses and how various corporations and industries sucked the culture of various brands and sub cultures for profit over the span of a decade. It looks at the fashion industry which is where it is most common as well as genres of music such as Rock and Roll, Jazz, and more.

I would genuinely disagree with Lyor and Everast. While Lyor's behavior can/has been despicable, one thing he genuinely has a grasp of is the culture itself. Lyor been around entirely too long. He didn't just pop up on the scene like so many people, dude been in the trenches since the early 80's with Rush Management.

Everlast was one of the original Rhyme Syndicate artists under Ice T along with Donald D. He didn't just pop up, make a hit, and dip. From the Rhyme Syndicate album "Rhyme Syndicate Comin' Through" in '88 all the way through "Whitey Ford Sings The Blues" Everlast didn't stop spittin. Even on Whitey Ford he was technically rapping. That's 10 years, but the sing-songy rap shit took him elsewhere, so he followed... Kinda like when The Foreign Exchange took Phonte in a whole different direction singing (...I'm saying Rapping Tay, four-and-half-mic honoree/Or singing Tay, first-time Grammy nominee...), he explored it, did it for a while, now he's back to what got him here in the first place just like Tay.

So far nobody has asserted that a Black person can be a culture vulture, as if it's impossible.

It's either people trying to derail the thread and make jokes, or people pretending they don't understand the premise of the thread, or both.

If you're an intelligent person, you'd have to agree that being a culture vulture is a two way street.

Wearing a suit & tie isn't being a culture vulture cuz wearing a suit & tie isn't a fuckn culture, you dumb fuck.

First of all, the ad hominem attacks prove that I'm winning this debate. The only time people make ad hominem attacks is when they can't express themselves clearly.

Second of all, wearing a suit and tie is most definitely a culture. To say wearing a suit and tie "isn't a culture " means you don't know what the word culture means.

Anyway according to everybody's definition of "culture vulture" Jay Z is a culture vulture because he used to dress casual/street but he started wearing suits and ties to make more money. Suits and ties are most definitely European style of dress, and Jay Z isn't European.

Jay-Z-696x464.jpg

Now I'm not calling Jay Z a culture vulture, but if a White guy from the suburbs wears a suit and tie to work every day, and then on the weekends he wears baggy jeans and a du rag and goes to the studio and records a rap album, he would be called a culture vulture.

So the reverse would be somebody from the hood who wears baggy jeans and a du rag every day, and then puts on a suit and tie and talks "white" to get a good paying job. Is that Black person a culture vulture?

@Bed$tuy

So yes or no, can a Black person be a culture vulture?

Don't divert attention away from the premise of this thread, just answer the damn question!
C'mon yo. Why ask questions you already know? Ain't you a 5 percenter? What's today's mathematics God?

In my opinion, no. Black people aren't culture vultures. White folks been bitin our style since Ancient Egyptian times. And you know that too

They take everything from us..... EVERYTHING!

Stop playing mayne

Reactions: genocide_cutter

Someone throwing bar-mitzvah for there son that's not Jewish, could be considered a culture vulture.

Someone throwing a quinceanera for there daughter that's not Mexican, could be considered a culture vulture.

Learning how to play the violin is not..
giphy.gif

I have gone to explain this so many times but I genuinely think he's joking.

Black people can appropriate culture if I open a Mexican restaurant with 0 knowledge of the food culture just doing it because it's popular then yes.

A suit and tie isn't a culture

So far nobody has asserted that a Black person can be a culture vulture, as if it's impossible.

It's either people trying to derail the thread and make jokes, or people pretending they don't understand the premise of the thread, or both.

If you're an intelligent person, you'd have to agree that being a culture vulture is a two way street.

First of all, the ad hominem attacks prove that I'm winning this debate. The only time people make ad hominem attacks is when they can't express themselves clearly.

Second of all, wearing a suit and tie is most definitely a culture. To say wearing a suit and tie "isn't a culture " means you don't know what the word culture means.

Anyway according to everybody's definition of "culture vulture" Jay Z is a culture vulture because he used to dress casual/street but he started wearing suits and ties to make more money. Suits and ties are most definitely European style of dress, and Jay Z isn't European.

Jay-Z-696x464.jpg

Now I'm not calling Jay Z a culture vulture, but if a White guy from the suburbs wears a suit and tie to work every day, and then on the weekends he wears baggy jeans and a du rag and goes to the studio and records a rap album, he would be called a culture vulture.

So the reverse would be somebody from the hood who wears baggy jeans and a du rag every day, and then puts on a suit and tie and talks "white" to get a good paying job. Is that Black person a culture vulture?

Well by you definition with suit and tie then everybody who isn’t white but wears jeans and t shirts is supposed to be a culture vulture? And suits are just the European version of dress up clothes. Does every culture have dress up clothes yes. Is western culture the dominate culture yes.

That’s not culture vulture that assimilation. If we could’ve had great successful lives after slavery with Afros and different vernacular with dashikis on we would’ve did it. Assimilating into a dominate culture so you can live is not the same as using that culture just for money. Your comparison Imo isn’t based on real life culture dynamics.

If I went to

Jay-Z-696x464.jpg

The white guy would be a culture vulture for the durag because they cant get waves tho. He would be a vulture if he never been friends with black people and only knows us from tv and thinks he can make some money. But if he actually likes to rap and have respect that’s different

First of all, the ad hominem attacks prove that I'm winning this debate. The only time people make ad hominem attacks is when they can't express themselves clearly. a culture vulture?
Bro..... don't do this. You haven't won anything. That high horse you riding, get off of it.

It's summertime yo, chill out
The Gods are having a barbeque in Fort Greene Park soon. You should come thru

What's really evident Is the knowledge of slavery colonialism and how black people have been politicised doesn't exist to 5grand

C'mon yo. Why ask questions you already know? Ain't you a 5 percenter? What's today's mathematics God?

In my opinion, no. Black people aren't culture vultures. White folks been bitin our style since Ancient Egyptian times. And you know that too

They take everything from us..... EVERYTHING!

Stop playing mayne

Here's what I don't understand; Why are you acting like the premise of this thread is so ridiculous, then answer the question, then go back to acting like it's a ridiculous premise. You could have just answered the question and kept it moving.

Anyway, I went to the Show & Prove two weeks ago. That's enough for me.

Well by you definition with suit and tie then everybody who isn’t white but wears jeans and t shirts is supposed to be a culture vulture? And suits are just the European version of dress up clothes. Does every culture have dress up clothes yes. Is western culture the dominate culture yes.

That’s not culture vulture that assimilation. If we could’ve had great successful lives after slavery with Afros and different vernacular with dashikis on we would’ve did it. Assimilating into a dominate culture so you can live is not the same as using that culture just for money. Your comparison Imo isn’t based on real life culture dynamics.

If I went to

Thanks for the response. At least you gave your opinion without ad hominem attacks. You say there's a difference between being a culture vulture vs assimilation. That's a good point.

However, if we take Jay Z for example, he's worth $1 Billion. He could wear jeans and a du rag for the rest of his life. He really has no reason to wear a suit and tie. Maybe 10 or 15 years ago, but now he should be able to wear whatever he wants.

What's really evident Is the knowledge of slavery colonialism and how black people have been politicised doesn't exist to 5grand

Rather than make sarcastic, ad hominem attacks, why don't you just type out a paragraph or two to respond to the premise of the thread and express your opinion?

You're acting like the idea of a Black culture vulture is so weird that it's not worthy of discussion.

Honestly, I don't understand why you guys are acting like this thread premise is so shocking. If a White person can be a culture vulture because he exploits something that is traditionally Black culture, then the reverse must be true.

And every time I give an example somebody comes up with a reason why it's acceptable for Black people to engage in White culture. But when White people engage in Black culture they are culture vultures.

So I guess that African Men Killing It facebook group is nothing but a bunch of culture vultures huh?

Looking good never ever ever ever EVER been an AFRICAN thing huh?

Give yourself a hug, then backflip onto your face.

Here's a couple of videos by Malcolm McCLaren, who Africa Bambaattaa called a culture vulture. Basically he was a white guy from England who came to America and saw the Hip Hop scene as it was just starting to grow. He gathered the DJs, MCs and graffiti artists and recorded a couple of songs, then went back to England.

But the thing is, I always thought these songs were dope, culture vulture or not.

Here's what I don't understand; Why are you acting like the premise of this thread is so ridiculous, then answer the question, then go back to acting like it's a ridiculous premise.
It's ridiculous because you're asking idiotic questions and I expect better from you old buddy. I answered because sometimes i feel sorry for you. You have a history of getting mad if no one answers ya questions then start saying crazy stuff like a kid who isn't receiving attention from their parents.

It's ridiculous because you're asking idiotic questions and I expect better from you old buddy. I answered because sometimes i feel sorry for you. You have a history of getting mad if no one answers ya questions then start saying crazy stuff like a kid who isn't receiving attention from their parents.

Again, ad hominem attacks don't help your argument, in fact, you don't even have an argument.

My questions aren't idiotic. There was a thread yesterday where somebody accused Miley Cyrus of being a culture vulture. I made this thread to simply ask whether or not Black people can be culture vultures.

How is that idiotic?

And before you respond, if you respond, don't make a fool of yourself by attacking me, just stay focused on the subject of the thread.

So to recap, my question to you @Bed$tuy is; How is it idiotic to ask if Black people can be culture vultures? And what examples would you use if you were going to ask the same question (since you don't like my examples).

Again, ad hominem attacks don't help your argument, in fact, you don't even have an argument.

My questions aren't idiotic. There was a thread yesterday where somebody accused Miley Cyrus of being a culture vulture. I made this thread to simply ask whether or not Black people can be culture vultures.

How is that idiotic?

And before you respond, if you respond, don't make a fool of yourself by attacking me, just stay focused on the subject of the thread.

So to recap, my question to you @Bed$tuy is; How is it idiotic to ask if Black people can be culture vultures? And what examples would you use if you were going to ask the same question (since you don't like my examples).
Lol, Bro. How I'm I gonna have a healthy debate with you? You brought up a suit and tie as your example of black people being culture vultures.

You dont see the idiocracy in asking that?

What else you think black folks stole