Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION The Concept Of A "Culture Vulture"

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
In the Miley Cyrus thread, somebody accused her of being a "culture vulture".

While I understand what the term "culture vulture" means, it's a two way street.

If you see a Black man wearing a suit and tie, is he a "culture vulture"?

What about if you see a Black man speaking proper English? is he a "culture vulture"?

How about if you see a Black woman straightening her hair? Is she a "culture vulture"?

I've seen Black women straighten their hair, and then get mad when a White woman braids her hair. So why is it ok for Black women to straighten their hair, but it's not ok for White women to braid their hair?

To me, the term "culture vulture" means the (mis)appropriation of another culture. But isn't every ethnicity guilty of incorporating another culture into their own? Especially in America which is supposed to be a melting pot.

Does that mean Black people can't eat a taco? Does it mean that Black people can't eat spaghetti? How about Chinese food? If a Black person eats Chinese food, is he a "culture vulture"?

What if a Black person decides to be a stockbroker? Is he a "culture vulture"?

If White people aren't allowed to be a part of African American culture, then doesn't it go both ways?

While I understand what the term "culture vulture" means, it's a two way street.

If you see a Black man wearing a suit and tie, is he a "culture vulture"?

What about if you see a Black man speaking proper English? is he a "culture vulture"?

How about if you see a Black woman straightening her hair? Is she a "culture vulture"?

Does that mean Black people can't eat a taco? Does it mean that Black people can't eat spaghetti? How about Chinese food? If a Black person eats Chinese food, is he a "culture vulture"?

What if a Black person decides to be a stockbroker? Is he a "culture vulture"?

giphy.gif

I think today the term is so loosely used that most of the time people just use it to diss artists they genuinely do not like.

A culture vulture is someone who is not of the culture, has no foundation or understanding of the culture, who is simply using hip-hop merely for financial gain and has no love or care for it whatsoever.

Examples of this can be Lyor Cohen, Everlast (Whitey Ford), Billy Ray Cyrus, Miley Cyrus, Riff Raff, Lil Pump, Kylie and Kendall Jenner/The Kardashians, Post Malone among others.

The term is actually taken from a book about American businesses and how various corporations and industries sucked the culture of various brands and sub cultures for profit over the span of a decade. It looks at the fashion industry which is where it is most common as well as genres of music such as Rock and Roll, Jazz, and more.

I get that, but what about when Black people do things that are traditionally "White" culture? Are those Black people "culture vultures"?

This is more of an "America" problem than a black people problem because the things we associate with rap music are stereotypically negative and the things we associate with "being white" shouldn't even be seen as something we associate with any race such as reading, liking different things, listening to different music, having good credit, listening to Mozart etc.

@Sion I appreciate the response. The rest of these idiots are pretending that they don't understand the premise.

So if a Black person plays the violin or learns ballet is he/she a "culture vulture"?

Last edited:
Obviously not and playing the violin or ballet isn't synonymous with "white culture" or "acting white". That's why I said that frame of thinking is an "America problem" because that ideology is racist and the by product of 400 years of slavery.

What you probably don't know is that the violin actually originated in ancient Nubia and made its way up to Egypt and then in Spain.

It's one of thing to appropriate another culture it's a whole different ball game to do so merely for financial gain without a shred of care or understanding of the culture. That's the reason why being called a culture vulture bears negative connotations.

So are you saying a Black person can, or cannot be a "culture vulture"?

Mad disappointing
Yep, it is...... because he's serious.

Back in the dayz within the 5 boroughs there was a thing called gills....

I'm not talking about gills on a fish. I'm talking about saying, asking, and doing stupid things got you smacked upside the head or neck.

Yep, it is...... because he's serious.

Back in the dayz within the 5 boroughs there was a thing called gills....

I'm not talking about gills on a fish. I'm talking about saying, asking, and doing stupid things got you smacked upside the head or neck.

@Bed$tuy

So yes or no, can a Black person be a culture vulture?

Don't divert attention away from the premise of this thread, just answer the damn question!

We are the most imitated people on earth... Fashion, swag, music and lingo....

I personally don't see anything I would appropriate from a white person honestly

We are the most imitated people on earth... Fashion, swag, music and lingo....

I personally don't see anything I would appropriate from a white person honestly

How about wearing a suit and tie?

When White people wear baggy jeans and du rags we call them culture vultures.

Back