Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Black Agenda: Reparations

So we don't veer off track........

I see we differ in opinion on what the reparations should like look. But we shouldn't get overly caught up in the details.

I urge every one in this thread, that believes in at least some form of atonement for the injustice we've faced throughout this nations history, to formulate their demands and direct them to their local and state reps. We have to keep pushing the conversation, fuck the "what they won't do" defeatist talk.

Especially since it's election season, now is the time to get these crooks to tap dance for our votes. STOP GIVING THE SHIT AWAY TO THE DEMS FOR FUCKING FREE!

Then we need to do this

We can't afford to keep wasting time debating coons and white supremacists. Get with like minded brothas and sistas dedicated to pushing the community forward by any means and lets MAKE shit happen

I stumbled onto this today:

It's a good article that summarizes several papers that discuss the topic of reparations and links the papers. If you have time, it worth it to read the article and some of the papers. There's good information in there like this:

In March 1865, one month before his assassination, President Abraham Lincoln signed legislation establishing the Freedmen’s Savings Bank. The federal government created the bank to encourage ex-slaves to save money. White bank leaders traveled the country promoting Freedmen’s in Black communities, promising the bank was a safe place to save. By early 1874, Freedmen’s had 34 branches with $3.3 million in deposits from Black customers, or about $73 million in today’s dollars, according to Marcus Anthony Hunter, a sociology professor at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Freedmen’s was also on the verge of failure. Trouble began in 1870, when Congress allowed the bank to start making mortgage and business loans. Most were given to white customers, “an important paradox,” Hunter writes. Half of Freedmen’s 34 branches had large deficits by 1872, due to bad loans that weren’t being repaid. The bank survived a run on deposits that year after rumor spread that money Black people had deposited was being used to finance political campaigns for white politicians. When white officials left the bank, they were replaced by Black employees, “inexperienced in the area of banking and unable to shoulder the burden of restructuring a complex and fragile financial institution,” Hunter writes.

Abolitionist Frederick Douglass, a prominent and trusted Black leader, was put in charge in March 1874. But it was too late for the bank. Congress liquidated Freedmen’s in June. Many Black depositors never got their money back. A quarter century after the bank closed, Congress had repaid 62% of deposits — not depositors. Black people lost trust in banking institutions post-Freedmen’s, according to Hunter, especially banks run by white people.

I never knew about this, but holy shit. TL:DR - Lincoln created a bank and initiative to help blacks save money. The government allowed the bank to lend to outside parties. The white people behind the bank started lending to other white people. The white people who borrowed didn't pay the money back. The bank crashed and burned. The government paid back the debts the bank had to other outside organizations but not blacks who lost their money by investing in the bank. Just when you think you knew every fucked up thing this country has done to black people...

I stumbled onto this today:

It's a good article that summarizes several papers that discuss the topic of reparations and links the papers. If you have time, it worth it to read the article and some of the papers. There's good information in there like this:

I never knew about this, but holy shit. TL:DR - Lincoln created a bank and initiative to help blacks save money. The government allowed the bank to lend to outside parties. The white people behind the bank started lending to other white people. The white people who borrowed didn't pay the money back. The bank crashed and burned. The government paid back the debts the bank had to other outside organizations but not blacks who lost their money by investing in the bank. Just when you think you knew every fucked up thing this country has done to black people...

I remember reading about the Freedmans bank smfh.. fuckin disgusting

Back