Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Black Agenda: Reparations

TheNightKing

J.A.P.A.N.
This is the start of what I hope is a series of threads. Next one can be something like The Black Agenda: Police Brutality. I’m not selfish so create other threads you think we need as a topic in the black agenda. I just ask you title it in this manner. The goal is to discuss what we’d like to see in a policy that can be handed to a politician and say either do this or we out.

For this one, let’s discuss what we’d like to see in a policy that addresses reparations.

I’d say preferential tax treatment for black business owners. And I’d take it a step further to say even better tax treatment for those black businesses that are in a predominantly black area of the city. And even better tax treatment for those black businesses that are an essential business (grocery store, gas station, etc.). And the business gets these tax breaks only if they have >75% black employment.

I know there are holes to be punched in this proposal, but hey, it’s a jumping off point.

Last edited:
I’d throw free college education in there too. Not just to universities, but beauty schools, real estate licensing, etc.

Or a stipend while you apprentice for a trade or something. College isn’t the answer for everybody.

This might actually cross over to a different topic around education that reaches back to Elementary to High School.

Government programs to get Black families to purchase brand new houses with low fixed interest rates similar to what happened for White families after World War 2 in Levittown, Long Island
I agree, but we still need the banks to not throw people into homes they can’t afford just to get that loan closed. Should still be income based and the loan to debt ratio considered. Don’t want banks using us for a quick come up. Let’s get sustainable homes ownership.

Have a provision for financial advising for those that need it. Teach a man to fish and all that.

- Tuition free post secondary education (College and trade schools)

- various tax breaks and preferential treatment for black businesses and citizens

- grants and programs for primary and secondary education in predom black areas

- home ownership programs and initiatives

- infrastructure improvements in predom black communities that are low-income

- Job creation, training and placement initiatives and programs

- CUT THAT MF CHECK

The tax break idea seems to be popular. I know there have been some House bills passed around reparations, but have any proposed tax cuts as part of a bill or resolution? Our has any Congress member suggested that be part of a reparations bill?

The tax break idea seems to be popular. I know there have been some House bills passed around reparations, but have any proposed tax cuts as part of a bill or resolution? Our has any Congress member suggested that be part of a reparations bill?
Im not sure.

i do know tax breaks and preferential treatment for black owned businesses is the most realistic.

Im just looking for them to allow us to build the wealth that we have been deprived of doing for the past 400 years

Along with all the other things yall have mentioned... there should be a free service provided by the government to actually track back, as far as possible, the ancestry of descendants of slaves.

Not only would this provide some clarity on where some of our ancestors came from... it would also allow for us to make FURTHER claims against white families and slave owners who built their fortunes off the backs of said ancestors

All yall are doing is promoting HR40 that the democrats push as reparations.
Explain please? Are these things in the HR40 bill, or is that bill simply setting up a commission to research what reparations would look like? If the latter, then I don’t see an issue with us going down that same route.

I've already given my thoughts on it, but to summarize. Blacks should be given reparations, and they should come in the form of policy changes and benefits given similar to what military people get. I feel like the government should create a group to identify the key negative policies from the past that have led to the state of the black community and push policies that specifically counteract those policies. We know that housing discrimination, education discrimination, and unequal law enforcement have been problems, so they can start.

I'm not a fan of just throwing money at people. That would help those capable of investing it wisely, but let's be real, if that was done a lot of people would squander it, and future generations of black people would still be in a fucked up position.

Back