Welcome To aBlackWeb

The 10 Jays: Jay-Z’s Through Time

grYmes

The price of a brick goin up…
Ok y’all, I think I got it broke down... Jay has had many transformations in his 20 plus years on the scene. As he got older we’ve seen these incarnations set trends & make enemies. Create unintentional comedy & classic music. These are all my humble opinions. It’s a semi-serious send up, as I leave it to my ABW kinfolk to bring the laughs.

“In My Lifetime” era Jay (95’-97’)

1607569748072.jpeg

Whole lotta Mafioso imagery & Alfredo raps. This despite the Italians clear hate of the black man. The hungriest of Jay-Z. We talking Jaz on the subway at 3 AM lookin desperate stomach rumblings. He’s certainly a name, but Biggie co-sign aside not THE name in hip hop yet. Came into the game guns blazing tho. RD & Vol 1. a great 1-2 punch to start a discography. Not too many rappers accents are like this anymore.

“The Dynasty” Jay (98’-00’)

1607570021938.jpeg
Commercially he’s broken through with classic club hits/street anthems. All without sacrificing his ability on the mic for the most part. Biggie swag & rhymes a plenty to be bitten. The Roc roster also begins to build up at this point. Dame Dash pops all the goddamn bottles in the videos. Whole lotta Diamond Dallas Page gimmick infringement going on here. Oh yea, Jay stabbed Lance Rivera during this time... but we not supposed to remember that.

“Blueprint” Jay (01’-02’)

1607570207681.jpeg
The literal blueprint for the rest of Jay personal/professional life is here. The classic that is The Blueprint & the genesis of Kanye. “The Takeover” & subsequent beef with Nas & Prodigy. The Summerjam Screen. The first Jay/Beyoncé collab. The condoms in the baby seat. The Gift and the Curse. This is low key my favorite Jay-Z era.

The “Fade to Black” Jay (03’-05’)

1607570338087.jpeg
This era brought us the first highly publicized “retirement” in hip hop. Don’t think a shit ton of people believed he was out the game but The Black Album was a great send off had it been it. Whole lot of pretenders wearing button ups & Yankee hats were spawned. This era ushers in Jay’s Def Jam presidency. The Carter Administration was successful or a mixed bag depending on who you ask. Rihanna & Ne-Yo hit it big but Roc-aFella as a label dies a slow death (Kanye being the exception). When Jay gets bored he spends days jumping from remix to remix riding the wave of artists trying to mimic his great accent. Letting us know the comeback would be inevitable.

“Wearing the 4-5/96 Bulls” Jay

1607570562712.jpeg

You watch basketball? Remember when Jordan came back in 95’ wearing 45? That was Kingdom Come. That was Cam’Ron calling Jay all sorts of Joe Camels. Shots from many a rapper trying to fill the void in his absence. Of course tho, the down period wouldn’t last long. American Gangster is that ‘96 Bulls Jordan that let niggas know he still got it. 2007 was a hybrid of “In My Lifetime” & “Blueprint” Jay to form a dangerous businessman/subliminal diss creature. We would see glimpses of this the next 13 years but never as good as this period ever since.

Five down, five to go.

This is pretty cool and kinda explains why Jay is a music Icon and not "just" a rap superstar.

You could do the same with Prince, MJ, Madonna, David Bowie, The Beatles and a few others. Some people have a gift for shifting with the times and being able to tap into that at just the right moment.

Bowie was the master of that shit though.

But I do want to say you only really got 4 left since you skipped his intro to the game...

giphy.gif

Dope ass thread and breakdown

props my boy

Dynasty era and blueprint era are neck and neck as far as the music goes

you see the rise of Just Blaze and Kanye

Dipset
State Prop

and just about every verse in this era was bulletproof

Part 2...

“I’m a business..man” Jay (08’-10’)

1607573156594.jpeg

Jay seemingly has his hands in everything. Roc Nation, the Brooklyn Nets. Clothing, strong ass fragrances, the 40/40 club. He’s a brand at this point. Which makes more sense why Blueprint 3 didn’t feel like it was for us Jay fans of eras long past. It tried to be something for everyone which no one can really sustain. Didn’t stop Jay from being a crazily wealthy man tho. I personally noticed a lot more white people rockin with him at this point is that just me? Take that however you want. Jay & Beyonce tied the knot at this point too & quickly became the public eye’s top black power couple. Jay is tabloid news now. Met Gala’s & shit.

“Euro-Step” Jay (11’-13’)

1607574428799.jpeg

This about as ehhh & “well ok” as it gets for me personally towards Jay. Starts out decent tho, Watch the Throne had some tracks we got excited. It’s.. aight. Little did we know “Niggas in Paris” was a omen of things to come. Of course Jay began delving into shit I can’t but wonder why looking back. Picasso’s & sculptures. Justin Timberlake soliloquies. “Performance art”. Letting random cacs forgo all social distancing. Jay seemingly tried his best to alienate the fan base with MCHG. I don’t for the life of me have fond memories of this. Showing ya whole ankle meat for the paparazzi stepping out the Maybach in designer clothing.. sheesh. I’d like to think if “In My Lifetime” Jay saw this in a crystal ball the Kobe smirk would be in full effect.

Mr. Knwoles-Carter Jay (14’-16’)

1607575711709.jpeg
For a stretch of time it seemed the only way we got a Jay-Z single is if his wife was involved. I call it as I see it and it wasn’t a bad thing.. half the time. Jay at this point is seemingly struggling to settle into his elder hip hop statesman role. Which coincides coincidently with his marital issues. What’s the best way to fix a relationship? Drop a few multi-platinum albums! That’s what I do. It’s at this point many critics have been rumbling that Jay should hang it up. A whole generation now only see Jay as “B husband”. Of course we know what happens when we doubt Jay-Z...

4:44 Jay (17’-18’)

1607576652586.jpeg All jokes aside, Jay proved he can still drop a hot album and moved the needle musically in this era. The response to the critics, rumors and Kanye was a brilliant one. The notable thing is Jay feels at peace with himself. Both as a family man & as a media giant. There are still times where “Euro-Step” Jay rears his nappy head tho. It’s reconciled with the fact that Jay let us know “hey I fuck up just like y’all”. It’s a decent era to look back on if you don’t remember the Everything is Love album. We GET IT, y’all in love... fuck.

Age of Spin Jay (19’-current)

1607577562403.jpeg The Jay we have now is at a point where he controls the narrative. Where his contradictions are questioned but never really rooted out in the court of public opinion. These are the problems of the famous, black and wealthy. Is he Afro-centric or all about the dollar? The Kap/NFL issue, politics, a lull period musically (at least by his standards). At this point Jay is a ominous public figure & we latch onto every bit of news he makes. The Money and power that he holds causing divisiveness at worst, black excellence at best. This is what happens when you achieved all you can achieve. It’s the best/worst problem to have.

Shawn Carter is a one of a kind individual that has evolved from a product of the streets to mainstream prominence. He has many titles to his name. All deserving, all encompassing the culture. Writing this I just now remembered he turned 51 over the weekend. Time has flown, and as time as gone by Jay-Z over and over proves why he’s the benchmark.

Last edited:
4:44 Jay aka Family Man Jay is prob my favorite out of the latter part of his career

the shit on 4:44 was/is relatable to me in a lot of ways

tryna reconcile with myself all the bullshit I went thru and put people thru. Finally being at peace with the man I have become and fully embracing that shit.

The write-ups are fine but you can't say Jay set trends and then turn around and name the trend he's jumping on or the swagger that he's jacking for that particular era.

That's my only gripe with Jay fans. If ya'll think he's the best rapper ever, I don't agree but I won't begrudge you that. However, ya'll gotta stop acting like he has been the one setting trends. He hasn't.

The write-ups are fine but you can't say Jay set trends and then turn around and name the trend he's jumping on or the swagger that he's jacking for that particular era.

That's my only gripe with Jay fans. If ya'll think he's the best rapper ever, I don't agree but I won't begrudge you that. However, ya'll gotta stop acting like he has been the one setting trends. He hasn't.

Jay is a swagger jacker there’s no doubt. For better or worse. I would say that his swagger jacking days have far out weighted his trend setting over the last 15 years. This happens to all music icons who have been around as long as he has. To basically say that nothing of any influence has ever come from Jay tho is a little much. I don’t think he’d be held to the regard that he has for as long as he has if that was the case. It is what it is, that debate will have no end.

Jay is a swagger jacker there’s no doubt. For better or worse. I would say that his swagger jacking days have far out weighted his trend setting over the last 15 years. This happens to all music icons who have been around as long as he has. To basically say that nothing of any influence has ever come from Jay tho is a little much. I don’t think he’d be held to the regard that he has for as long as he has if that was the case. It is what it is, that debate will have no end.

Saying he hasn't set trends and saying he's had no influence are two different things. There's no doubt that whatever trend Jay hops on becomes bigger. He has a bigger platform that most rappers, so if he reps something, there's a good chance more people will become aware of and try to emulate it. If his fans characterized it like that, there'd be no issue. However, when you say he started a trend, you're giving him too much credit because pretty much every trend that he's made bigger was already a thing before he hopped onto it.

Back