Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Surge of Student Suicides Pushes Las Vegas Schools to Reopen

yeah, this is hard to assess. domestic violence rates have shot up as well, what with ppl out of work and school now relegated to their homes, cooped up with each other more often.

it's not a reach to correlate something like increased domestic violence rates with increased rates of child abuse. if not full on abuse, other sorts of tension at home that'll insidiously effect a child's emotional state.

doesn't help at all that being away from school and disallowed from seeing friends severs a child's connection to people and places they might find relief and comfort in. social media isn't a substitute. it might just make matters worse.

it's fuckin sad, almost unfathomable, that a child as young as 9 could take their own life. that stage in life should be the fun, playful, innocent years.

These kids are too self-aware these days. The Age of Information has really done number on their psyche.

I just think back to when we didn’t have school for a week to due the Blizzard of ‘96. If you would’ve told us there was a possibility that school would be shut down FOR A YEAR, we would’ve been hyped as shit....most of
us, anyway.

I lowkey get this. We have never gone thru this as a society, being shut off from humanity for extended periods of time. It's like the whole country is going thru cabin fever. Like @Bobjones said, look at the increased reports of domestic violence and child abuse. Children that aren't around other children and in volatile homes are going thru it right now. We are not built to be separated this long, especially not children. Not to mention the constant news cycle of tragedy and hopelessness being shoved in our face 24/7. It's hard to sit down and watch Spongebob when thousands of ppl are dying everyday and the adults in power show complete apathy to it. I'm not really with reopening the schools, parents need to buck up and make home life easier for their children's sake just like they're willing to be away from them for 8 hours out the day to put a dollar in the next man's pocket. At the same time we gotta look into the long term mental health of society as a whole at this time... COVID is not the only thing to worry about during this pandemic.

These kids are too self-aware these days. The Age of Information has really done number on their psyche.

I just think back to when we didn’t have school for a week to due the Blizzard of ‘96. If you would’ve told us there was a possibility that school would be shut down FOR A YEAR, we would’ve been hyped as shit....most of
us, anyway.
That would've been a nightmare for me. I was in an abusive foster home during 96, those blizzards were bad enough for me. A lot of kids go thru that... the first cpl days are fun, til you realize you gotta be around adults 24/7. That's what's going on now... 2 weeks of homeschooling and video games all day turn into "I miss my friends and I hate it in here".

us, anyway.

what do you mean by too self aware?

If I had a kid, I'm not sending them back to school during a pandemic for them to catch covid-19 because they decided to reopen schools because other kids killed themselves.

I mean it's sad those kids died but by no means it being the right thing to do reopening schools during a pandemic with this virus still being out here and that's why they have kids being homeschooled. It's about safety for the teachers and students as whole because people are still dying from this virus out here.

I hope you understand and I have empathy for those young lives losing their life but still don't want more people losing their life during this pandemic either reopening schools.

Back