Welcome To aBlackWeb

Should she qualify for this title as the most successful Black solo artist of all time?

Ya'll trip me out. In one topic you'll be calling mixed people traitors because they don't claim their blackness the way you think they should. In the next topic you'll be denying that they are black. What does Mariah identify as? I've never heard her say she wasn't black.

Like others have said, I want to know how they measured this. I have a hard time believing Janet was a bigger artist than Mike.

Ya'll trip me out. In one topic you'll be calling mixed people traitors because they don't claim their blackness the way you think they should. In the next topic you'll be denying that they are black. What does Mariah identify as? I've never heard her say she wasn't black.

Like others have said, I want to know how they measured this. I have a hard time believing Janet was a bigger artist than Mike.
I am not one to deny biracial people of either race. But the need to make them identity as Black is antiquated and is subscribing to white supremacy.

We only called them Black bc of the one drop rule. Every other country categorizes them as mixed race.

She's never denied being Black while looking like a whole white woman. Her features are very European

She’s black when it’s convenient for her
I concur

That's the case for a lot of Black mixed race people and they tend to identify as Black when they are recognized for achievements ie Kamala, Obama, and Halle or when they face discrimination like Megan Markle.

Any other time they are people of color or mixed, people forgot Obama avoided calling himself Black so he wouldn't alienate the white voters

I am not one to deny biracial people of either race. But the need to make them identity as Black is antiquated and is subscribing to white supremacy.

We only called them Black bc of the one drop rule. Every other country categorizes them as mixed race.

She's never denied being Black while looking like a whole white woman. Her features are very European

Black is a social construct made up by white people to begin with. The one drop rule isn't any more antiquated the the concepts of black and white to begin with. You think anyone gave a shit about "Black" back in Africa before Euros colonized?

So yes, the one drop rule is goofy, but no moreso than the concept of race to begin with. If Mariah wants to identify as mixed or white, that's on her, but saying that she doesn't really fit the mold because her features of very European is silly. You can go to Kenya or another East African country and see people with skin darker than most African Americans whose other features are every bit as "European" as Mariah's.

She’s black when it’s convenient for her

How so? When has she identified as anything other than black to suit her purposes?

Y'all trying to act like she's Kamala Harris, but where are the examples?

Black is a social construct made up by white people to begin with. The one drop rule isn't any more antiquated the the concepts of black and white to begin with. You think anyone gave a shit about "Black" back in Africa before Euros colonized?

So yes, the one drop rule is goofy, but no moreso than the concept of race to begin with. If Mariah wants to identify as mixed or white, that's on her, but saying that she doesn't really fit the mold because her features of very European is silly. You can go to Kenya or another East African country and see people with skin darker than most African Americans whose other features are every bit as "European" as Mariah's.

How so? When has she identified as anything other than black to suit her purposes?

Y'all trying to act like she's Kamala Harris, but where are the examples?
The premise behind the one drop rule was to keep people like Mariah from passing and more profit for slave owners.

Saying race is a construct to justify her identification is no different than Rachel Dolezal with her classification.

I guess if people can switch genders they can change their race because it fits within constructs of their definition of what makes a person Black

Only 2 Black parents can make a Black child. If this was Vanessa Williams I'd agree with your assessment

The premise behind the one drop rule was to keep people like Mariah from passing and more profit for slave owners.

Saying race is a construct to justify her identification is no different than Rachel Dolezal with her classification.

I guess if people can switch genders they can change their race because it fits within constructs of their definition of what makes a person Black

Only 2 Black parents can make a Black child. If this was Vanessa Williams I'd agree with your assessment

I'm saying it is a construct because it is. Any black person in America is only black because some white people decided that's how it should be. Africans didn't refer to themselves as black. You're literally trying to discredit some shit white people made up (one drop rule) to defend some other shit white people made up (blackness). If you're going to accept the latter, you can't just dismiss the former.

Send us a pic of your arm I just know you some white dude on here trying to stir something up y’all gotta stop larping as black and get a life this your third post talking about race…

Back