Welcome To aBlackWeb

Should she qualify for this title as the most successful Black solo artist of all time?

Lamarquise

332347907_1888447908644170_4055559381615710648_n.jpg

When Mariah Carey first hit the scene there was no category related to Black music like years prior, what qualifies her to be named Black when she's biracial.

Her music was mostly pop in her early year. Her highest selling album, Music Box, definitely isn't urban.

She gets props for the highest selling female in the 90s. There's no denying that.

333043441_2921739737958407_3132382810203186983_n.jpg

I'm surprised to see how high Monica is in this chart.

For the most part people see someone who is biracial as black given the history of the one drop rule.

As far as the actual list, I wonder what the point system is and the list isn't style of music specific. So does it matter if Mariah's earlier music was more pop?

Unless the criteria is giving a motherfucker who thinks yellow crayons taste like purple severe brain damage and asking him to count syllables for each name. There's no fucking way in hell Drake is sitting over Bill Withers and Sam Cooke in any metric.

Fuck outta here "Ain't no sunshine" and "A Change Is Gonna Come" are more valuable than that corny motherfuckers life. I'll take those songs over every soul in Canada.

KENDRICK tied with Lil Jon, Travis Scott and Wiz Khalifa.

Curtis Mayfield not even mentioned.

Future over BIGGIE??? WTF are we doing here.

I wanna know what's the criteria for their point system, cuz I'm pretty sure MJ sold more than Mariah's whole career with Thriller and BAD alone.
She's sold a lot of records to the point she's had albums reach number one tha charted 20+ years ago.

She also outsold Elvis and the Beatles with fewer albums under her belt

If youre gonna hold the early pop years of her first couple albums against her then it should be said in the right context. Tommy Motolla basically forced her to do those songs. Thats why any remix she did and all the music she made as soon as she got away from him was strictly R&B and with rappers all over it.

With that said the answer is no. It's Michael Jackson but that's not to say Mariah Carey isn't up there with the best R&B acts and singers of all time because she definitely is and her writing is very underrated.

For the most part people see someone who is biracial as black given the history of the one drop rule.

As far as the actual list, I wonder what the point system is and the list isn't style of music specific. So does it matter if Mariah's earlier music was more pop?

lol I thought we been claimed her already wym. We claim pretty much all the mixed folks
At that time of her peak, she could be counted as both. miscegenation laws had been outlawed in most states especially in the state she was born in.

We should identify her as she is. A mixed race Black is in reference to her race and type of music. There's a reason Nicki Minaj went so hard on Latto's song when categorizing their songs for the Grammys

Unless the criteria is giving a motherfucker who thinks yellow crayons taste like purple severe brain damage and asking him to count syllables for each name. There's no fucking way in hell Drake is sitting over Bill Withers and Sam Cooke in any metric.

Fuck outta here "Ain't no sunshine" and "A Change Is Gonna Come" are more valuable than that corny motherfuckers life. I'll take those songs over every soul in Canada.

KENDRICK tied with Lil Jon, Travis Scott and Wiz Khalifa.

Curtis Mayfield not even mentioned.

Future over BIGGIE??? WTF are we doing here.
Those totals are worldwide sales. Those people you mentioned are American popular acts.

And their different genres of music that criteria should have been put up for consideration as well

So I think this ranking is based on a how they much they charted on the Billboard 100 singles chart, not necessarily actual record sales/streams...
Mariah has plenty of record breaking sales that surpassed Madonna, Whither, Elvis and the Beatles. And no one in recent years have been able to compete esp with physical sales

If youre gonna hold the early pop years of her first couple albums against her then it should be said in the right context. Tommy Motolla basically forced her to do those songs. Thats why any remix she did and all the music she made as soon as she got away from him was strictly R&B and with rappers all over it.

With that said the answer is no. It's Michael Jackson but that's not to say Mariah Carey isn't up there with the best R&B acts and singers of all time because she definitely is and her writing is very underrated.
Exactly

Back