Welcome To aBlackWeb

Roseanne Showrunner Wants You to Ignore Star’s Controversial Comments: Judge the Show ‘On Its Merits

My wife loved the old series for some strange reason, so she was giving the new one a shot today. I caught five minutes of it and no lie this is what happened on the show.

Roseanne and Dan were sleeping on the couch and woke up. The saw a late night tv show on and realized what time it was and the convo went like this:

Dan: Look at that. We missed all the good shows...oh and the black and asian shows
Roseanne: Yeah, yeah...they're just like us. Now you're up to speed.

I told my to turn that shit off and got no argument.

Merits won't mean shit once advertisers start pulling out.

I don't watch TV, never cared for the show, but if they're on the the dumb shit may they fail. Horribly.

Watched the 3 new eps on hulu.

Debbie Gallagher from Shameless is a Darlene's daughter. Darlene also has a gay son and the live w/ Rosanne.

DJ has a black daughter and i musta missed how or they didnt get to that yet.

I thought the Trump stuff they played into w/ 1st ep was kinda funny.

Never watched the show a day in my life but I honestly don't get the controversy. Is it not reflective of white middle class families today? From the outside looking in it sure seems like it is and those people have a right to be entertained as well. Especially in this walking on eggshells/kumbaya unrealistic media landscape.

this is conservative america’s black panther.
they prouder than a motherfucka right now. this is their moment
Basically.

I don't get how so many people are mad about this. Especially people who don't even watch this show or ignored Roseanne Barr all this time otherwise.

I say let those people have their show and just ignore it. Everybody else has something that wasn't made for everybody and that's ok.

The irony is this show always used to make headlines in the 90s for being progressive and not giving a fuck. If I remember correctly the first televised gay marriage was on this show.

Its not a show for Trump supporters just because the main character voted for trump.

It shows how nothing that was promised for them has come after Trump was elected.

In the 1st ep they discuss how their heathcare is trash and Roseanne & Dan need to share medication because premiums are too high.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/roseanne-criticized-black-ish-fresh-boat-joke-1100311

'Roseanne' Criticized for 'Black-ish' and 'Fresh Off the Boat' Joke

On this week's episode of the Roseanne revival, Roseanne Barr's TV persona made a controversial wisecrack. After falling asleep in front of the TV for hours, Roseanne and Dan Conner (John Goodman) awoke to realize that they fell asleep from "Wheel to Kimmel," referencing the night's lineup of shows on ABC.

“We missed all the shows about black and Asian families," Dan noted, seemingly referencing fellow ABC sitcoms Black-ish and Fresh Off the Boat. That's when Roseanne offered this response: “They’re just like us. There, now you’re all caught up.”

On Thursday, Taiwanese-American actor Kelvin Yu — who is also a writer on Fox's animated hit Bob's Burgers — took to Twitter to explain why the Conners' dialogue about black and Asian families is problematic.

“Here’s why the Roseanne joke about ‘missing all the shows about Black and Asian families’ matters," Yu began in a series of tweets. "At the very least, it’s reductive and belittling, as if to say those shows are nothing more than ‘Black’ and ‘Asian’ in their existence. But the real kicker is when Roseanne says: ‘They’re just like us. There, now you’re all caught up.’ Which implies that the point of any show about a minority family is simply to normalize them. That’s it. The stories, the humor, the characters … not important."

He continued, “Then you take ALLLLLL of that and put it in the mouth of an avowed Trump supporter (not the actress — the CHARACTER of Roseanne) and you have one stinky little shit sandwich of a joke that ABC allowed to be served in their own restaurant. It’s a big deal. Do I think the characters Roseanne and Dan watch Black-ish or Fresh Off The Boat? Of course not. Do I think they’d say something PC about them? Probably not. But the point is, they didn’t HAVE to say ANYTHING. They didn’t have to write that joke at all. It’s not even a joke.”

Yu then suggested that the punchline perpetuates racism, referencing a politically themed episode of Black-ish that was scrapped over creative differences between ABC and creator Kenya Barris last month. ABC called the decision mutual, though sources have said otherwise; THR also reported that Barris is actively trying to get out of his overall deal with ABC Studios.

“It’s an endorsement of dismissiveness and disregard. It’s a familiarity and comfort with the culture of objectifying and demeaning people of color,” Yu wrote. “Keep in mind, ABC was all too willing to bar Kenya Barris from airing an episode about kneeling during the nat’l anthem because of a fear it would be divisive and alienating. Black-ish is one of only a handful of shows about Black families on the air.”

The shelved Black-ish episode centered on NFL players' decision to silently protest police brutality against people of color by taking a knee during the national anthem at football games. But, as viewers saw on Roseanne's season 10 premiere, Roseanne Conner — whose political views and staunch support of President Donald Trump mirror Barr's own — made light of the athletes' peaceful demonstration by asking her liberal sister, Jackie Harris (Laurie Metcalf), if she'd like to kneel during grace.

In an interview posted after Tuesday's episode aired — and ahead of the reaction — co-showrunner Bruce Helford had explained the joke to THR: "We were commenting on the fact that all sitcoms really want everybody to feel included of all diversities and it's kind of a funny thing. That's all. When we did the George Lopez show, we didn't want anybody to feel excluded because it was about a Mexican-American family. And I don't think anybody wants to be excluded because it's [a show about] either a black family or an Asian-American family."

Watched the 3 new eps on hulu.

Debbie Gallagher from Shameless is a Darlene's daughter. Darlene also has a gay son and the live w/ Rosanne.

DJ has a black daughter and i musta missed how or they didnt get to that yet.

I thought the Trump stuff they played into w/ 1st ep was kinda funny.

Bolded...kinda random. But in a ep of curb, larry was dating a broad who had a gay lil son. Kid was skipping and prancing all round the screen. Real lil fag. Shit was funny af, but i felt alil bad lol'ing at a lil gay nigga. Curb is goat.

How u black watching this shit the old and new one? Like what would u even find funny or entertaining bout trailer park comedy

Big Bang Theory is hilarious.
giphy.gif

The showrunner is right, and not just politically. I just got into the show and it's not pushing ideals. We need to judge work based on it's ability to connect with people and portray life as well as the political implications. Both are important. Art is more than just politics. If you're casting this show out because one person voted a way you didn't like you may as well cast out most programs because I guarantee you someone voted a way you didn't like in every election.

The showrunner is right, and not just politically. I just got into the show and it's not pushing ideals. We need to judge work based on it's ability to connect with people and portray life as well as the political implications. Both are important. Art is more than just politics. If you're casting this show out because one person voted a way you didn't like you may as well cast out most programs because I guarantee you someone voted a way you didn't like in every election.

I get that but when someone is demonstratively shitty then....

and politics is in everything.
and just because points of view may differ doesnt mean that the opposing pov is legitimate because it is different.

Back