Welcome To aBlackWeb

Risk of child abuse raised eight times if living with unrelated male adults

Golden

Administrator
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/25/why-are-mothers-boyfriends-so-likely-to-kill.html
Why Are Mothers’ Boyfriends So Likely to Kill?

“Our daughter is dead. The guy that’s been living in my house murdered our daughter.”

The details of the harrowing “Baby Doe” case are still unfolding. As Susan Zalkind reported for The Daily Beast, there is no forensic evidence in the case at this point and the current allegations are based primarily on Rachelle Bond’s statements. McCarthy’s lawyer has disputed Bond’s account.

But as it unfurls, the case could reignite controversial conversations about child maltreatment and cohabitation. After nightmarish incidents like these, it is often said that a mother’s boyfriend poses the single greatest threat to a child’s well-being. In fact, months before Bella’s remains were even identified, as Heavy uncovered, former America’s Most Wanted host John Walsh speculated that this may be a case in which a mother and a “live-in boyfriend” killed the child and “disposed of the body.”

But is the saying true? Are these cases really so predictable? Or is the “mother’s boyfriend” claim the sort of baseless factoid that we circulate to make sense of the unspeakable acts of which McCarthy and Bond stand accused?

One of the most-frequently cited pieces of research on the subject is a 1992 article in Child Abuse and Neglect by Leslie Margolin. By conducting interviews with nearly 1,000 Iowa women and combing through data from the Iowa Department of Human Services, Margolin found that mother’s boyfriends were responsible for 64 percent of non-parental abuse in single-parent families, despite performing less than 2 percent of non-parental child care.

Faced with this discrepancy, Margolin tried to isolate certain variables to explain it away. Was it solely a function of their gender? No, other male caregivers did not abuse children at nearly the same rate. Was it due to the circumstance of not being biologically related to the child? In part, yes, as “male non-relatives were significantly more abusive than male relatives,” but that still did not account for all of their overrepresentation.

Margolin then analyzed the unique family dynamics created by the boyfriend’s presence in the family, hypothesizing that children’s perception of the boyfriend or his perception of himself as an illegitimate caregiver could lead him to believe that “her children will not listen to him unless force is threatened or used.”

Margolin also examined various intra-family “coalitions” that preceded the instances of abuse in the sample. Generally speaking, either the mother and boyfriend were allied against the child, or the boyfriend perceived himself as being threatened by a mother-child alliance. The most common situation in Margolin’s sample was when “the boyfriend interceded on the mother’s behalf by striking her child” in reaction to some perceived misbehavior.

Further research has since fleshed out Margolin’s 1992 findings about the dynamics of child abuse in cohabiting couples.

A 2001 study in Child Maltreatment found that “the presence of a non-biological father figure in the home should be considered a significant predictor of a future child maltreatment report.” In a sample of 644 mother-child pairs, the authors found no significant difference in maltreatment between mother-father households and single-mother households, but did find that children with a cohabiting “father surrogate” were “twice as likely to be reported for maltreatment after his entry into the home.”

Perhaps tellingly, Bond’s next-door neighbor stopped seeing Bella “around the same time” as a “new boyfriend” appeared, as The Boston Globe reported.

In 2002, a study in Pediatrics looked specifically at cases of fatal child maltreatment over a two-year time period in Missouri and found the risk of fatal maltreatment was not increased for children living with a single parent, but that it was raised eight times if they were living with unrelated adults, “primarily in households including biologically unrelated adult males and boyfriends of the child’s mother.”

quoted some of the article, u can see more if u click the link. not a pleasant matter but child abuse is way too common n shouldn't be a hush hush topic.

Last edited:
This is so interesting.

I was just reading up on the "family annihilator syndrome"

fathers who kill their whole family out of nowhere.

This is so interesting.

I can't watch live news cuz of child abuse stories. Noticed a pattern but had no idea of the broader stats.

I recall stories of father's shooting themselves n their whole families due to debts a few yrs back smmfh
I hate the wording in the thread title
I was lazy n copy/pasted the article's title

These women are so thirsty to be in a relationship that they will bring any nigga around their kids and then you have those same women moving dudes in after only knowing them for a few months.

This is so interesting.

I can't watch live news cuz of child abuse stories. Noticed a pattern but had no idea of the broader stats.

I recall stories of father's shooting themselves n their whole families due to debts a few yrs back smmfh

What about Casey Anthony and Andrea Yates?

It can go two-ways you know? Don't just blame the niggas.

@BNE

Last edited:
Yes there's this show on Netflix called "Killer in the family" where this woman in the UK studies "family wipe-outs" @BNE

Here name is Laura Richards. She is a criminal psychologist.

She said you can really tell what types of men are prone to kill.

They are extremely reserved . Have no friends. Don't know how to emote in healthy ways.

Tend to be really rough with their children even during play.

They tend to spend money recklessly even when the money has been set aside for other things.

They are emotionally withdrawn and also very shy.

@Race Jones, it's time baby. Come get this intellectual spanking.

1277899829_termionator-2-bomb.gif

Judgement Day is here. I have the time and energy today.

What about Casey Anthony and Andrea Yates?

It can go two-ways you know? Don't just blame this niggas.

@BNE
Nobody disputed that women abuse or kill their kids n stepkids. This article expounds on that too if u click.

If u wanna make a thread with that as the discussion focus, I'll participate.

Fellas why do yall feel attacked? lol

did you even read the article?

there are countless studies on these types of things.

@Chi-Town B youre off by a long-shot. your point has nothing to do with the article.

@NoOneImportant way to miss the point completely. I have to admit your level of willful ignorance is award worthy

and @TheMasterKey what can I say about you? You just saw the title of the thread and immediately started typing. Didn't even read the post, just marched in here and went to work. ktpng.gif

Last edited:
Nobody disputed that women abuse or kill their kids n stepkids. This article expounds on that too if u click.

If u wanna make a thread with that as the discussion focus, I'll participate.

Nah, I was getting my @TheMasterKey on with you guys.

Please continue this wonderful thread, :ha:.

You have my 100% support, boo.

Or I'll just call you out for making a wack ass thread title and keep it movin.

If I make a thread with the title that said "All Women Aint Shit" , I can't be surprised at mfs coming in her feeling a way about it, df lol talkin bout "but but but u gotta read the article!!"

You aint 11, you knew better.

Margolin then analyzed the unique family dynamics created by the boyfriend’s presence in the family, hypothesizing that children’s perception of the boyfriend or his perception of himself as an illegitimate caregiver could lead him to believe that “her children will not listen to him unless force is threatened or used.”

Margolin also examined various intra-family “coalitions” that preceded the instances of abuse in the sample. Generally speaking, either the mother and boyfriend were allied against the child, or the boyfriend perceived himself as being threatened by a mother-child alliance. The most common situation in Margolin’s sample was when “the boyfriend interceded on the mother’s behalf by striking her child” in reaction to some perceived misbehavior.

I'm quoting this because it links closely to the physical punishments discussion.

The logic that "children will not listen [to him] unless force is threatened or used" is damn near word for word what is used to justify whoopings in the first place, but child abuse stats as a whole r proof that it can n often does go far beyond a 'spanking'. if corporal punishment is ok, then the lines on who can do it n how far r blurred cuz floodgates.
Why did you change the title @BNE?

STAND YOUR GROUND.

The title made perfect sense. It fit the article.
cause ion want the thread to stay derailed by "but but the title is offensive".

Back