Welcome To aBlackWeb

Orlando Jones Says He Was Fired From ‘American Gods’ Because His Character Sent ‘The Wrong Message For Black America’

I said I understand but still stand by what I said about FAKE CHARACTERS

I get where you're coming from, but there is a bit of a difference here. To some extent, the gods in the story are representative of particular people and cultures. There is a direct tie there, so when they misrepresent the character they misrepresent the culture those characters are meant to represent. Ariel originated in Europe, but it's not like that character empodies anything in particular about European culture.

I'm not saying any of this is worthy of outrage, but there is a difference between changing the race of a run of the mill story character and changing the race of a character that is basically a certain race by definition.

I'll have to read up on Oshun again, but off hand, I agree with the concerns raised.
The content should always respect the source material.
Most of this modernizing comes off as being PC cause it's profitable.
When the next wave comes, they'll remake these IP's to represent whatever the trend is then.

But I see it all the time in the art world where they make black versions of non-black characters.
The exact same thing white people have been doing with black cultures.
Many blacks are desperate for any kind of representation, so they don't care how hypocritical it is.

I'd be interested to see how they approach or relook at how they handled this shit and if they try to rectify it.

"Angry gets shit done" got shit done... but that was too much for the white show runner

How was Mr Nancy gonna star in season 3?....... Guess I need to finish season 2..... I stopped watching at some point in season 2 and IDK why.

Idk if it was because I got caught up or wasn't feeling it.

It's rare I just stop watching a show midseason

How was Mr Nancy gonna star in season 3?....... Guess I need to finish season 2..... I stopped watching at some point in season 2 and IDK why.

Idk if it was because I got caught up or wasn't feeling it.

It's rare I just stop watching a show midseason

Nah I did the same. I have amazon prime and I never bother. After reading the tweets above its dead out here either way.

Back