Welcome To aBlackWeb

I just caught this. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect going into it, and it was different than I thought it would be. It was good though. I understand where Malcolm was coming from in the movie, but he was a jackass for real.

The people who actually knew Malcolm keep saying these movies are cap. Malcolm didn't move like that.
What part was cap? I saw an interview with Jim brown and he said this "meeting" happened. Didnt give details but said they discussed " making real change"

@GOAT

what didn't you like about it?
I jus wasnt feelin it as much as yall sayin

It was good. Just dragged in a few spots. Prolly coulda shaved 20mins off the runtime.

But i figured since it was based on a play it would be like that... similar to that Denzel/Viola Davis movie couple yrs back.

It was good. Will i watch it again? Nah

Its similar to godfather of Harlem's portrayal of malcolm
Jeremiah Shabazz
Melchesidechk
James Small

They all knew Malcolm and say the portrayals fall utterly short of Malcolm's personality and such.

In fact the only one people, including Louis Farrakhan and Ilyasah Shabazz Malcolm's daughter, compliment is Denzel Washington.

Nuri Muhammad didn't know Malcolm but he knows people who did and he said Godfather of Harlem was all cap.

I jus wasnt feelin it as much as yall sayin

It was good. Just dragged in a few spots. Prolly coulda shaved 20mins off the runtime.

But i figured since it was based on a play it would be like that... similar to that Denzel/Viola Davis movie couple yrs back.

It was good. Will i watch it again? Nah

Not to sound like im capeing for the movie (tho i guess i am). What you call dragging, i call set up.

Cuz on 1st watch, i was alil antsy at 1st. For a second i was waiting for them to hurry up and get to the heart of the conversation inside the hotel room (the back and forth of ideas/basically the meat and potatoes of the movie)....but all the b4 stuff was a set up for the main part.

Jeremiah Shabazz
Melchesidechk
James Small

They all knew Malcolm and say the portrayals fall utterly short of Malcolm's personality and such.

In fact the only one people, including Louis Farrakhan and Ilyasah Shabazz Malcolm's daughter, compliment is Denzel Washington.

Nuri Muhammad didn't know Malcolm but he knows people who did and he said Godfather of Harlem was all cap.

I don't know one way or the other, but past of the movie's portrayal of Malcolm was that the other the in the movie knew him as a different person than the NoI related people.

It goes without saying that Malcolm was entirely that nigga in the grand scheme of life, but in this portrayal of that small window of his life at that time this nigga was annoying as hell...

...I try to keep in mind that he was breakin off from the NOI at that time so his paranoia was on some “post Quad 2Pac” shit, and he hadn’t made the Holy pilgrimage yet so he was still yappin that “white devil” vitriol - lookin at it like that it puts his anxiety in perspective for me, nigga had the Feds on his tail too and I can’t imagine that being a pleasant experience.

Sam was that nigga to me, I connected to his character much more. Malcolm had very valid points about Sam using his platform and his power to touch people, but not only was Sam right about making business moves behind the scenes (where the power really is), the only thing going on in my mind is this: Bruh sometimes when you smack in the middle of some bullshit, you wanna escape - if a nigga wanna hear me sing about love, grab his woman close in his small ass apartment in the projects, then for 5mins lemme help that nigga escape the bullshit he’s inevitably gonna have to face when my song is over and he walks outside...

...and Jim charging Malcolm bout that light skin shit coulda been a whole other 40min conversation in itself - all these “Jesse Williams”/“Colin Kaepernick” ass niggas be goin hard as fuck, and at the end of the day it’s all Nation Time so it’s not a bad thing, but it’s like, “Bruh watchu tryna prove?”

But after all that thought provoking intellectual shit, my favorite part of the whole movie was Jim bitchin’ Malcolm’s security - hit that my nigga from The Wire wit that “nigga I DARE you. Ain’t enuff Allah in the whole world to stop these hands”...

:sayit:

I truly LOVED this movie and will be buying it when it comes out in the stores.

Regina King directed the hell out of this and all the actors did a great job. Leslie Odom Jr. And Aldis Hodge were my favorites in this but honestly all the main actors did a wonderful job. The young man who played Ali did great and was funny but Aldis as Jim Brown and the young body guard had me laughing the most in this film.

I will definitely watch this again soon to see if I can catch some stuff I missed but man........... great film that definitely should get heavy award nominations.

Last edited:
Back