Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Big Pun

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Busta Rhymes

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Ghostface Killah

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
I’m not sayin’ Big L was trash or nuttin’ I’m just sayin’ he had tha same amount of time in tha game as Biggie and Pun but wit far less impact…that’s a fact

Hell…Cam n Mase was even bigger household names by tha time L got murked…he had talent but still wasn’t “that guy” like some of y’all thinkin’ until after his death…

Simply put his potential never materialized into anything substantial 🤷🏽‍♂️

Yeah major groups like Wu bring their entourage and opening acts... The Wu are huge they and loads of affiliates so they would had bought tons of artists with them... Shyhiem, Cappadonna, Killa Bees, Killa Sin, Killarmy, Gravediggaz, Hell Razah, Popa Wu, Shabbaz, LA, Buddah Monk, Northstar etc all of them would had been on major tours with them...

I believe the '97 tour was Big L, him OC and AG... Could had coincided with OC album roll out as that dropped in '97...

The '95 Asia/Europe tour Im not sure, think that was a his album promo tour as he was doing all the interviews and radio cyphers...

This was apparently in during the '95 tour...

Yeah, I get what you're saying. In his case he had to have a pretty good buzz to be going overseas. I will say this, that was around the time when the internet was just starting to put some acts over. I only knew about Big L because of songs I heard here and there online. When it comes to the internet, a buzz that spreads from Harlem to South Carolina isn't really any different than a buzz that spreads from Harlem to London, England.

I’m not sayin’ Big L was trash or nuttin’ I’m just sayin’ he had tha same amount of time in tha game as Biggie and Pun but wit far less impact…that’s a fact

Hell…Cam n Mase was even bigger household names by tha time L got murked…he had talent but still wasn’t “that guy” like some of y’all thinkin’ until after his death…

Simply put his potential never materialized into anything substantial 🤷🏽‍♂️

Yeah I agree with that... Although BIG wouldnt had popped like he did if it wasnt for Puff, same with Mase...

L tried to stay indi with his MVP Records so therefore stayed more underground, like a G Rap, Sean Price and OC, AG etc still well known worldwide but with a bigger foot in the underground but I think IF he didnt didnt get murdered and did sign with Rocafella he may had got that mainstream push that BIG and Mase had and gone that route with BIG, Mase, LOX etc

Cam wasnt that big internationally until he signed with Rocafella either tbh

Yeah I agree with that... Although BIG wouldnt had popped like he did if it wasnt for Puff, same with Mase...

L tried to stay indi with his MVP Records so therefore stayed more underground, like a G Rap, Sean Price and OC, AG etc still well known worldwide but with a bigger foot in the underground but I think IF he didnt didnt get murdered and did sign with Rocafella he may had got that mainstream push that BIG and Mase had and gone that route with BIG, Mase, LOX etc

Cam wasnt that big internationally until he signed with Rocafella either tbh

Only things I disagree wit’ is tha Cam part…Confessions had singles that are bigger than Ebonics and MVP is Kia he wrote Crush on You for JM…plus G Rap, OC and Sean P all had waaay bigger names and impact during their runs…

AG is probably tha best comparison cuz he intentionally stayed “underground”…I’m just sayin’ tha L was a dope MC but he was not THAT sought out dude durin’ his time in tha game like people wanna imagine he was…he was known for Ebonics and freestyles if we bein’ real

To me being the greatest punch rapper of all time and being the best freestyle rapper of all time enough to be better than any in this list even what the catalog says.

Only things I disagree wit’ is tha Cam part…Confessions had singles that are bigger than Ebonics and MVP is Kia he wrote Crush on You for JM…plus G Rap, OC and Sean P all had waaay bigger names and impact during their runs…

AG is probably tha best comparison cuz he intentionally stayed “underground”…I’m just sayin’ tha L was a dope MC but he was not THAT sought out dude durin’ his time in tha game like people wanna imagine he was…he was known for Ebonics and freestyles if we bein’ real

Cam I can see, though I dont think Sean Price was bigger at the time... Not overhere anyways, I dont know of any Sean P freestyles from around the same time and the only shows were mid 00's just before he passed, that was with Random Axe...

Sean Price probably became bigger than Big L though... Its kinda hard to judge tbh because their runs were so different in terms of years... Even though theres only 2 years age gap...

Ask dame about big l he would tell you he a boss. He would had sign Flamboyant records not a solo deal. big l was ahead of his time. He would had found his way unless Cameron and mase who signed slave deals.

Ye Cam mase was around 94 95 so what none of them could rap like big l. Stop it

Both cam and mase made music for the mainstream

Nah….Big L had just as much time (actually a few/couple yrs more) as Pun but didn’t pan out/make tha impact of Pun…L died early ‘99 but all his music sounded like it came out in tha early ‘90’s…

He could rap and had dope punches and freestyles and all that, that’s a fact…but besides Ebonics and MVP what’s he really known for??

:mybad:

He had a whole decade and never broke out as much as the others

Big L is the definition of great battle rapper/mediocre songwriter

A lot of great lyricists can’t balance the two. Speaking of Lloyd Banks I remember 50 telling him he had to break out of that battle rap mentality

Ask dame about big l he would tell you he a boss. He would had sign Flamboyant records not a solo deal. big l was ahead of his time. He would had found his way unless Cameron and mase who signed slave deals.

Ye Cam mase was around 94 95 so what none of them could rap like big l. Stop it

Both cam and mase made music for the mainstream

Dawg….you can be the greatest punchliner in the world….if you can’t write great songs your music can never truly be in the top mentioned….even pure MC’s know the importance of writing great songs for the crowds and everyday listener.

How do you think Hip Hop became global to begin with? Mainstream isn’t the problem….it’s the BS artists choose to follow just to stay on radio

Let’s use Biggie Smalls for example cause it’s his anniversary……one thing that made Biggie great is that he had EVERYTHING

If freestyles and punchlines are tha barometer then why Fab and Cassidy have bigger names than Big L??

Again not taking anything from dude but I think his “legend” is bein’ exaggerated a little lol

He had a whole decade and never broke out as much as the others

Big L is the definition of great battle rapper/mediocre songwriter

A lot of great lyricists can’t balance the two. Speaking of Lloyd Banks I remember 50 telling him he had to break out of that battle rap mentality

See I agree with the bold and said the same earlier, Pappose being one...

I think Big L easily broke the out mould, especially with his first album... He was making great story raps, concept tracks and horrorcore before it was even a thing, maybe a couple Ganksta NIP was doing before him but it wasnt popular, especially on the East Coast... He was no more a battle rap rapper than Jay Z, BIG DMX, because thats what rapper didnt on radio back then...

The Big Picture sounded more battle themed because it was posthumous and more people listen to that then Lifestylez...

Back