Welcome To aBlackWeb

Obama explains what he did for black people

He's missing the point like a lot of these politicians. When people say he didn't do anything for black people, they aren't necessarily saying that Obama's presidency didn't benefit black people. They are saying he didn't do anything to address the unique challenges that blacks face. Obama's presidency was better for Americans in general than what preceded it. So most Americans experienced improvements. Blacks were no different in that regard. The question was did we see any closing of the gaps between blacks and other groups. I don't know the answer to that, but that's what Obama needs to address when he's asked this question.

Wow. About as real as it gets. Very polarizing conversation. I personally feel the man did what he could given the constraints he was working under.

This is one of the reasons ''Black Panther' was so awesome, because it pitted two forces on opposite sides of the same coin (T'Challa vs. Erik).

Obama stated his goal was to build a coalition. MLK would have done the same thing. So would Malcolm X. A lot of militant black folks forget that.

I have my popcorn ready. Convo is going to be lit.

And let me put this out here: America is not a monarchy (he stated this in the interview).

For those of you saying he should have wiped out 400 years of the results of slavery in his eight years in office, what would that have looked like?

Keep in mind, as bad as Trump is with disregarding protocol, even he couldn't get all the things he wanted.

So please tell me how you think Obama would have been able to only target black people without regarding others? And selling that through the Congress? Or even executive orders?

History has shown that Presidents before Trump or Obama can do whatever the hell they want with little regards to the constitution since it's an easily manipulative and elastic document. The most impactful President's used it as a footstool for fuck sake. This arguement is pathetic.

Obama had way more political capital and charisma than Trump to lock up the bankers, get actual universal healthcare instead of a heritage foundation plan and bail out working people instead of creating the unsustainable gig economy him and others parade that easily collapsed under Covid. Instead he cared more about placating his corporate backers.

Obama cared more about being the friendly black man in office than getting his hands dirty while Mitch McConnell and Republicans were demonizing him regardless. Hopefully Biden took notes and don't do this "decorum" and "civility" posturing the next four years.

History has shown that Presidents before Trump or Obama can do whatever the hell they want with little regards to the constitution since it's an easily manipulative and elastic document. The most impactful President's used it as a footstool for fuck sake. This arguement is pathetic.

Obama had way more political capital and charisma than Trump to lock up the bankers, get actual universal healthcare instead of a heritage foundation plan and bail out working people instead of creating the unsustainable gig economy him and others parade that easily collapsed under Covid. Instead he cared more about placating his corporate backers.

Obama cared more about being the friendly black man in office than getting his hands dirty while Mitch McConnell and Republicans were demonizing him regardless. Hopefully Biden took notes and don't do this "decorum" and "civility" posturing the next four years.

What laws do you think Obama could have gotten passed that he didn't succeed on to help only black people?

What laws do you think Obama could have gotten passed that he didn't succeed on to help only black people?
Obama could've decriminalized drugs, gave police departments less federal money and banned private prisons as one few of the things he should've done that would've greatly benefited black people in his first two years with a supermajority.

Plus there is a plethora of executive orders he could've legally pursued like giving back land and money to Black Farmers, Canceling Student Debt which disproportionately affects Black students, and pardon Black political prisoners who've been serving unjust time.

The Power of the Office has been rightly exposed in the last 4 years with Trump and hopefully the next administration grows a spine and does the same thing.

Obama could've decriminalized drugs, gave police departments less federal money and banned private prisons are few of the things he should've done that would've greatly benefited black people in his first two years with a supermajority.

Plus there is a plethora of executive orders he could've legally pursued like giving back land and money to Black Farmers, Canceling Student Debt which disproportionately affects Black students, and pardon Black political prisoners who've been serving unjust time.

The Power of the Office has been rightly exposed in the last 4 years with Trump and hopefully the next administration grows a spine and does the same thing.

Decriminalized drugs is a black issue?

You understanding what you’re saying?

It would benefits white just as much.

Drugs ain’t just a black issue

No it wouldn't. Some white people would be helped, but if drug laws are enforced 5-10 times more against blacks than whites and drug convictions and sentencing are also much higher for blacks than for whites, decriminalizing drugs would clearly help blacks a lot more than whites. As was pointed out, we know for a fact those laws to some extent were put in place specifically to hurt blacks, so getting rid of them would be a black issue.

Honestly, the truth is there isn't much policy out there that could be pushed that would help blacks specifically, unless its something like no income tax for blacks or free secondary education for blacks. I think you really have to get Congress on board for that type of thing though, so you can't really pin a failure to accomplish that solely on the president.

Obama could've decriminalized drugs, gave police departments less federal money and banned private prisons as one few of the things he should've done that would've greatly benefited black people in his first two years with a supermajority.

Most of those things would benefit more than just black people.

They're mostly leftist policies that a leftist government would put in place.

No it wouldn't. Some white people would be helped, but if drug laws are enforced 5-10 times more against blacks than whites and drug convictions and sentencing are also much higher for blacks than for whites, decriminalizing drugs would clearly help blacks a lot more than whites. As was pointed out, we know for a fact those laws to some extent were put in place specifically to hurt blacks, so getting rid of them would be a black issue.

Honestly, the truth is there isn't much policy out there that could be pushed that would help blacks specifically, unless its something like no income tax for blacks or free secondary education for blacks. I think you really have to get Congress on board for that type of thing though, so you can't really pin a failure to accomplish that solely on the president.

So you saying all ships would raise.

This wouldn’t e exclusively for black folks bruh.

So you saying all ships would raise.

This wouldn’t e exclusively for black folks bruh.

I never said it would be exclusively for black people. My point and I believe the point others were making is that drug laws were put in place largely for the purpose of hurting blacks and have had a much more devastating effect on the black community. So while some nonblacks would also be helped by their removal, them being removed would be a big win for the black community.

Back