Welcome To aBlackWeb

Name Artists/Groups That Have Three Or More Classics

I'd say from 1980-2018 there should only be 20-25 classics.

Otherwise you're playing fast and loose with the word, "classic".

I'd say from 1980-2018 there should only be 20-25 classics.

Otherwise you're playing fast and loose with the word, "classic".

And 16 of em came from only these 4 artist/groups?

1. Public Enemy - Yo Bum Rush The Show, It Takes A Nation, Fear Of A Black Planet, Apocalypse 91

2. LL Cool J - Radio, Bigger and Deffer, Mama Said Knock You Out, Mr Smith

3. Boogie Down Productions/KRS One - Criminal Minded, By All Means Necessary, Edutainment, I Got Next

4. Eric B and Rakim - Paid In Full, Follow The Leadeer, Let The Rhythm Hit Em, Don't Sweat The Technique

Add on

giphy.gif

Eventually we gotta do a end all be all ABW certified Classics vault. People can have their personal classic & what have you, but as a website/brand we should be like “ok these the albums that are above all”. Strictly, like the Source used to be. @Goldie you still tryin to do that bruh?

Eventually we gotta do a end all be all ABW certified Classics vault. People can have their personal classic & what have you, but as a website/brand we should be like “ok these the albums that are above all”. Strictly, like the Source used to be. @Goldie you still tryin to do that bruh?

Great idea

Run DMC doesn't have three classics.

Their first (self titled) and third (Raising Hell) albums were 5 mic classics.

King of Rock, Tougher Than Leather, Back From Hell, Down With The King, and Crown Royal have a few good songs, but they're not classics.

King of Rock is definitely a classic.
Tougher Than Leather is arguably a classic.

Back From Hell is straight up doo doo grits with the chunks in it.
The last two albums were solid but definitely not classic material.

King of Rock is definitely a classic.
Tougher Than Leather is arguably a classic.

Back From Hell is straight up doo doo grits with the chunks in it.
The last two albums were solid but definitely not classic material.

Gimmie King of Rock and Darryl & Joe and I could do without the rest of the album.

Is there such a thing as an objective classic?

There isn't, so technically no one is wrong in this thread.

@Goldie, you're dislike of Cube and Face prove my point and it's all good since music is subjective.

In 20 years we're going to be arguing with a whole other generation who's gonna try to convince us that Astroworld is more classic than The Blueprint. It is what it is.

On that note....

Z-Ro
Trae
UGK
Scarface
Immortal Technique
MF Doom
Jay Z
Pac
OutKast
Cube
Common
LUPE FIASCO!!!
Kanye
Ghostface
ATCQ
Wu Tang
Wayne

All of these niggas got three classics
no man, if a nigga 20 yrs from now is saying anything close to Astroworld being a classic album over blueprint, he need to gouge his eyes out

Yall gotta learn the difference between personal classic and actual classic.

Yall gotta learn the difference between personal classic and actual classic.

I came up in the 80s. Albums that were considered classic at the time are still classics. The problem is that people who grew up in the 90s, 2000s and 2010s don't remember those albums when they were released so they don't consider them classics. I'm talking about Run DMC, LL Cool J, Whodini, The Fat Boys, Eric B and Rakim, Boogie Down Productions, Stetsasonic, Big Daddy Kane, Slick Rick, De la Soul, The Jungle Brothers, NWA, etc.

Basically you had to be there.

Criminal Minded is a classic but I'm probably the only person on ABW that listens to it on a regular basis.

I was wondering about your personals
Man I love music. I would be typing all day. My point is just bcuz I love the shit and it might be a well-received album, that really doesn't mean it's classic.
To me, a classic is an album that changed the game, Paid In full
Created or took a sub-genre to another level, Straight out of Compton
Unintentionally crossed over bcuz of the greatness. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back & The Chronic
Stands way out from its peers of the time bcuz of the fresh sound. Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (Around that same year Nas & Biggie were putting the rap game on notice and reminded the game that NY is the mecca of hip hop. Outkast pretty much came out of nowhere, introduced us to a smooth southern style with lyricism, that pretty much legitimized southern rappers. Yeah, the south had The Geto Boys but this album was different.)

These are just examples. There are of course more example of historically classic rap albums but imo there ain't as many as we would like to believe. To me, that is what makes them personal classics.

Man I love music. I would be typing all day. My point is just bcuz I love the shit and it might be a well-received album, that really doesn't mean it's classic.
To me, a classic is an album that changed the game, Paid In full
Created or took a sub-genre to another level, Straight out of Compton
Unintentionally crossed over bcuz of the greatness. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back & The Chronic
Stands way out from its peers of the time bcuz of the fresh sound. Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (Around that same year Nas & Biggie were putting the rap game on notice and reminded the game that NY is the mecca of hip hop. Outkast pretty much came out of nowhere, introduced us to a smooth southern style with lyricism, that pretty much legitimized southern rappers. Yeah, the south had The Geto Boys but this album was different.)

These are just examples. There are of course more example of historically classic rap albums but imo there ain't as many as we would like to believe. To me, that is what makes them personal classics.

That's a great way of looking at it. I was struggling to figure out why an album can be a personal classic but not a actual classic or vice versa, but if we are going by the criteria of game changing albums then that makes things easier to grasp.

Redman - Whut Thee Album, Dare Iz A Darkside, Muddy Waters
EPMD - Strictly Business, Unfinished Business, Business As Usual, Business Never Personal
A Tribe Called Quest - Peoples Instinctive Travels..., The Low End Theory, Midnight Marauders
Common - One Day It'll All Make Sense, Like Water For Chocolate, Be, Finding Forever

Common has a great body of work. Be is a personal top 10 hip hop album to me. I read that him n Kanye interviewed a prostitute in Chicago that inspired the second verse of "it's your world"

Very subjective thread.Lets say Wayne does have 3 classics. You would have to count maybe two of his mixtapes to just this though.Maybe

Back