Welcome To aBlackWeb

Music vs Movies/shows. Which is more influential and impactful?

Folks on this very message board has stated numerous times that hip hop is the most influential culture

but when it comes to the bad shit, all of sudden it’s not influential

Lol people can't hold two seemingly opposing thoughts in their head at the same.

Hip Hop is the genre of music that will tell you love your brother, love your city, love your momma, be proud of who you are...

And then tell you bitches ain't shit, niggas ain't shit, your life ain't worth shit if you don't have money, take drugs and kill the ops...

Of course this is just a reflection of the degradation of the Black poor and what values the underclasses seem to have.

Lol, the issue is, regular Black people, who aren't an underclass, who aren't running from cops, in gangs, shooting it out with the opps, identified with it and White people are fascinated by it so it blew it up.

So now Hip Hop music and culture is Black culture when it's really not lol.

Music.

Add in the amount of times you can listen to one song. So it’s over and over in your ear telling you you need to buy this type of clothes or do this type of drug and it folks do it

you buy shit based offa what people big up in songs?

you buy shit based offa what people big up in songs?

You think folks that see the “cool guy rapper” and not want to be like them?

You think advertisements don’t work either?

You see a rapper wore those big ass hats and next thing you niggas all over was rocking them.

Molly and Percocet was an a problem in the black community until rap made It cool as fuck to pop them pills

Rappers was talking about Evisu jeans and next thing you know everybody in the hood had a pair.

How long you been out this country?

You think folks that see the “cool guy rapper” and not want to be like them?

You think advertisements don’t work either?

You see a rapper wore those big ass hats and next thing you niggas all over was rocking them.

Molly and Percocet was an a problem in the black community until rap made It cool as fuck to pop them pills

Rappers was talking about Evisu jeans and next thing you know everybody in the hood had a pair.

How long you been out this country?

I asked YOU if you ever copped some shit based offa somebody biggin it up in a song.
You tried a drug cuz some rapper mentioned it in a song?
Copped some clothes cuz it was in a song before seeing it?

im asking YOU

I asked YOU if you ever copped some shit based offa somebody biggin it up in a song.
You tried a drug cuz some rapper mentioned it in a song?
Copped some clothes cuz it was in a song before seeing it?

im asking YOU

I have purchased something before. And when I was growing up they had music videos so yiu seen the stuff.

and now I’m this age they see the stuff even more. It’s a reason Fortune 500 companies have rappers and athletes endorse their products. Advertisement is a real thing Bruh. Cmon.

I don’t do drugs because I grew up in New Orleans and seen rock heads and how they live.

I have purchased something before. And when I was growing up they had music videos so yiu seen the stuff.

and now I’m this age they see the stuff even more. It’s a reason Fortune 500 companies have rappers and athletes endorse their products. Advertisement is a real thing Bruh. Cmon.

I don’t do drugs because I grew up in New Orleans and seen rock heads and how they live.

advertisement is real tho.. like you said.

Me personally I never heard of some shit in a song that made me wanna cop (jewellery or some brand of clothes etc.)
Never heard about some drugs in a song that made me wanna try them.
Never heard some songs about violence that made me wanna kill somebody.

Advertising is for sure a thing.. but so is personal responsibility. I dont think people are as gullible as youre making it out to be nor do I think if I listen to the same song X amount of times im more likely to wanna fuck somebody up, buy some shit I dont even like or try some drugs just cuz a song said it was cool

let me be clear @Dwayne i hear ya if youre saying SOME folks that are easily influenced can be swayed... I just dont think that is the majority of folks

Music.

Add in the amount of times you can listen to one song. So it’s over and over in your ear telling you you need to buy this type of clothes or do this type of drug and it folks do it
All it takes is for a person to watch or see a visual and it can be permanently in their head. Watching someone kill a person is gonna stick more easier than hearing someone say they killed a person.

I will agree that music definitely has a grip on fashion and drug use. Some sure do make it sound cool to try. Im willing to bet weed use increased over the years because of music

One last thing

Rap shouldn’t be heard by kids.

Just rap? Or any music speaking on violence, sex or shit you dont deem coo for children to listen to?

If we apply the same metric for movies where people getting their heads blown off and beating the shit out of each other Id slightly agree with you..

This goes back to an argument ive had plenty of times which is a subset to this argument.. which is more damaging.. hyper violence or hyper sexualization.. cuz network tv will show a person getting blown up, beat, stabbed or shot but got forbid a bare breast is show even in a non sexual way on tv.

Music is more impactful than movies and shows because it is a direct message, that is constantly repeated over and over again in a short amount of time.

In one album you probably got 20 different messages.

What made Hip Hop music the most dominant and most powerful form of music is because there are more words per second and it's the simplest form of songwriting.

That's why I laugh when people say Hip Hop gotten dumbed down and shit, nah, them motherfuckers got more potent and direct.

Instead of making some I Gave You Power shit, dudes just come out and say I'ma shoot you and I love my gun and have everyone saying that shit. That's more powerful than a 10 layer Lupe Fiasco metaphor.

You don't have to know language to understand the meaning of a song. You can tell by the mood and tone of the instrumentation. And if you listen to enough foreign language music, you can pick up the language well enough to know what is being said. Sometimes not even knowing the language makes it more powerful because your brain shuts off and you just feel it.

Music waaaaaaay more powerful than movies and shows.

Naw, you need too know the language to know the full message when dealing with strictly audio. Sure, tone can let you know if someone is angry, sad, or happy. But someone yelling on a track in a language i dont understand will just leave me confused . For all I know, they can be talking bout love in a angry voice. That is just how some people sound. Seems like you are just speaking of a nice beat and chorus. Yeah, people may vibe to it but they aint gonna know that the song is telling them to rob a bank.

Now if I see the video to the song, I will know the message based on the visuals.

Another thing I would say is look at some of these dumb and dangerous challenges.
People see a dangerous act and want to copy it.

Just rap? Or any music speaking on violence, sex or shit you dont deem coo for children to listen to?

If we apply the same metric for movies where people getting their heads blown off and beating the shit out of each other Id slightly agree with you..

This goes back to an argument ive had plenty of times which is a subset to this argument.. which is more damaging.. hyper violence or hyper sexualization.. cuz network tv will show a person getting blown up, beat, stabbed or shot but got forbid a bare breast is show even in a non sexual way on tv.
He said he was done fam

All it takes is for a person to watch or see a visual and it can be permanently in their head. Watching someone kill a person is gonna stick more easier than hearing someone say they killed a person.

I will agree that music definitely has a grip on fashion and drug use. Some sure do make it sound cool to try. Im willing to bet weed use increased over the years because of music

Weed use jumped after Redman and Cypress Hill came on the scene. They gave us weed head rappers for each coast.

Back