Welcome To aBlackWeb

Minneapolis cop found guilty in shooting death of unarmed Australian white woman

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ilty-shooting-death-unarmed-woman-who-n999706

Minneapolis police officer found guilty in shooting death of unarmed woman who called 911

Mohamed Noor took the stand in his own defense last week, telling jurors he believed Justine Damond was armed and was within point-blank range of his partner, Matthew Harrity.

A former Minnesota police officer was found guilty of murder on Tuesday for shooting an unarmed woman who had called 911 to report a possible rape behind her home.

The jury convicted Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter for the killing of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, a dual citizen of the United States and Australia, on July 15, 2017.

The jury could have opted for the top charge of second-degree murder or lesser charge of second-degree manslaughter.

Noor, who was fired by from the Minneapolis Police Department after being charged, now faces a maximum of 12 1/2 years behind bars for third-degree murder.

The former officer was found not guilty of second-degree murder.

Noor took the stand in his own defense last week, telling jurors he believed Damond was armed and was within point-blank range of his partner, Matthew Harrity when he fired his weapon.

The jury started deliberation Monday afternoon. The panel was sequestered as soon as deliberations began.

Noor and his partner drove into Damond's south Minneapolis neighborhood when, the driver Harrity testified, he thought he heard a thump on the hood of their car.

Noor testified he saw a woman — who turned out to be Damond — with her arms outside Harrity's window and then fired, believing he was saving his partner's life.

"He turned to me with fear in his eyes," Noor said of his partner. "His gun appeared caught in his holster."

Noor told jurors he saw a blonde woman at Harrity's driver's side window and believed she was raising an arm.

"I fired one shot and the threat was gone," Noor, a Somali-American immigrant, told jurors.

Both officers had body cameras but they were not turned on at the moment of the shooting

Investigators found no forensic evidence that Damond had touched or slapped the squad car before she was shot.

No evidence of a sexual assault was ever found.

The tragic killing was an international incident as loved ones of Damond, a 40-year-old life coach originally Sydney, from half a world away demanded justice.

The woman's dad, John Ruszczyk, has filed a $50 million federal lawsuit against Noor, Harrity, the city and police leaders, claiming a civil rights violation. That case is on hold until the criminal case is finished.

It’s not surprising that system made a example out of coon ass.. For killing a white woman...

>system made a example out of coon ass

he was acquitted on the most serious charges tho?? My reaction to this verdict was "Lol they gonna give this nigga probation for killing a white woman"

http://m.startribune.com/atrium-bel...ling-as-onlookers-learn-of-verdict/509290832/

From its outset, the case touched off an uncomfortable conversation about race and justice that left even staunch police reformers wondering whether Noor would have been charged if he were white and Damond had been black. Tuesday’s verdict did nothing to quell those suspicions.

And while never explicitly brought up in the courtroom, race lurked in the shadows of the monthlong trial, observers say.

Longtime civil rights activist Mel Reeves praised the verdict for demonstrating that “police shouldn’t be above the law.” At the same time, Reeves pointed to a paradox in this case that, he said, made it easier for the jury to convict Noor. “He’s Somali. He’s black. And he’s Muslim — that’s a trifecta.”

Reeves said that “the system has an easier time convicting a black man in a blue uniform.” However, he added that in police shootings, “this is what should happen all the time.”

Another civil rights activist, Nekima Levy Armstrong, who ran for mayor in the most recent election, said the case lays bare a racial double-standard in the criminal justice system and is not indicative of the systematic change she and others have been demanding.

“This is an isolated case with an isolated result based on racial dynamics and affluence of the victim, not to mention the race of the officer,” she said. “I’m not going to pretend that this is about justice.”

Mohamed Abdi, 36, a driver for a courier company, said that as a member of Black Lives Matter he was torn.

“Every police officer who kills an unarmed human being should be accountable,” he said, including Noor. But he was concerned that “they let white cops who kill unarmed black men go” while convicting Noor, he said. “There should be justice for all victims.”

http://m.startribune.com/atrium-bel...ling-as-onlookers-learn-of-verdict/509290832/

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman scoffed at the suggestion that the conviction of Noor, who is Somali, marked the first time an officer was held accountable, while white officers in recent history haven’t been charged with killing civilians.

“I’ve heard a small group in the community make disparaging remarks about me and this office to the effect that I won’t charge white cops who shoot black people, but I’ll charge black cops who shoot white people,”
he said at a news conference after the verdict was announced. “Race has never been a factor in any of my decisions, it never will be … we have charged white cops for committing crimes, but we look at each case based on the facts, evidence and laws in front of us.”

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Didn't she just knock on the car window, and he shot her? How the hell can you be a cop and be so easily frightened. All the the cops that shoot at the slightest provocation need the same verdict he got.

Didn’t 6 white cops open fire on a black man sleeping in his car in a fast food parking lot ?

Those guys need next.

Probably one of the few cases where That moment he had legit fear coupled uo with how keyed up he probably was in the call he was startled and acted recklessly

Back