Welcome To aBlackWeb

Mike Tyson to Em: "You're the only white guy that knows what it feels like to be an n****"

Apparently not beacuse I basically said the same thing Monk said in different words.

You didn't. You literally broke down for him the difference and how it could have been worded differently. But I see where this is going lol. Just not sure why.

Didnt watch this, not planning to watch this, but its Mike Tyson. What did yall expect?

Love Mike, but hes not a guy whose podcast Ill listen too. Nothing about Mike says good podcast to me. Not sure how his shit is big as it is.

You didn't. You literally broke for him the difference and how it could have been worded differently. But I see where this is going lol. Just not sure why.
Oh ok, I'll accept that. Looked an awful lot the same to me after I came back to the thread.

I know not what you're referring to with your last statement.

My whole point was that a white person may TRY to empathize with black folks.. but they will never truly understand what it's like to be black.

A white person knowing and accepting that this country treats black people like shit does not equal "knowing what it feels like to be a nigga"

Dumbass comment for sure... I wouldn't go as far as calling him a coon tho

I feel this is just breaking down to semantics. I agree that a white person can never truly know what it feels like to be black because they don't actually get that experience. My point is just that some white people who associate with black people and seek to understand what black people go through can gain some understanding of the unique challenges and experience of black people in this country. Mike Tyson isn't Eric Michael Dyson, so no one should expect a super intellectually accurate framing coming from him. My point was simply that context matters. If all Mike was trying to say was that Em's experiences with black people give him a unique understanding of black people when compared to other whites, then that's not coon shit. If Mike was saying that Em is basically a nigga because he can rap really well, then yes, that's a ridiculous statement. I don't know if I would call it coon shit, but I wouldn't really object to someone else calling it that.

You didn't. You literally broke down for him the difference and how it could have been worded differently. But I see where this is going lol. Just not sure why.

lol @ her breaking down the difference for me. Go back actually read before you comment. Like she said, she quoted me and pretty much said the exact same thing I said in different words. If you don't see that, something is wrong with your reading comprehension.

I feel this is just breaking down to semantics. I agree that a white person can never truly know what it feels like to be black because they don't actually get that experience. My point is just that some white people who associate with black people and seek to understand what black people go through can gain some understanding of the unique challenges and experience of black people in this country. Mike Tyson isn't Eric Michael Dyson, so no one should expect a super intellectually accurate framing coming from him. My point was simply that context matters. If all Mike was trying to say was that Em's experiences with black people give him a unique understanding of black people when compared to other whites, then that's not coon shit. If Mike was saying that Em is basically a nigga because he can rap really well, then yes, that's a ridiculous statement. I don't know if I would call it coon shit, but I wouldn't really object to someone else calling it that.

Was bullshit when folks said Clinton was the first black president.. its bullshit here too.

Just cuz Clinton went on Arsenio and played the saxophone don't make him black...
Just cuz Em rap good, came up poor and has some black friends don't make him a nigga...

I might empathize with Asian folks that's getting funny looks and harassed with all this corona shit going on and think that's fucked up... don't make me fuckin Chinese tho lol.

Was bullshit when folks said Clinton was the first black president.. its bullshit here too.

Just cuz Clinton went on Arsenio and played the saxophone don't make him black...
Just cuz Em rap good, came up poor and has some black friends don't make him a nigga...

I might empathize with Asian folks that's getting funny looks and harassed with all this corona shit going on and think that's fucked up... don't make me fuckin Chinese tho lol.

Dude you are basically just saying what I said. Again, I said that if Mike was claiming that Em was a nigga for those superficial reasons, then that's dumb to say. However, if he's saying that Em knows what it's like to be a nigga because he understands or empathizes with the black experience in a way that most whites can or don't, that's not coon shit IMO. It might be wrong, but it's not coon shit. That's all I'm saying.

Dude you are basically just saying what I said. Again, I said that if Mike was claiming that Em was a nigga for those superficial reasons, then that's dumb to say. However, if he's saying that Em knows what it's like to be a nigga because he understands or empathizes with the black experience in a way that most whites can or don't, that's not coon shit IMO. It might be wrong, but it's not coon shit. That's all I'm saying.

Ok.

In both of your scenarios... Em still aint a nigga tho lol.

I'm off the whole indirectly calling Mike a coon..... but not calling Mike a coon argument at this point.

*shrugs*

Ok.

In both of your scenarios... Em still aint a nigga tho lol.

I'm off the whole indirectly calling Mike a coon..... but not calling Mike a coon argument at this point.

*shrugs*

We agree. Em isn't a nigga and doesn't know what a feels like to be a nigga. That's why I said context matters though. If he meant what he said then he's wrong, but I acknowledge the possibility that he misspoke and his point was a little more nuanced.

Back