Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Kendrick Lamar - Damn

i've seen this album being called a classic 2 days after release in this thread

i've just seen it being called a classic not even a week after it was released in this thread

A lot of classic albums now werent considered classics when they released...why is it different when it comes to these newer artists?

is your issue with the album or the qualification of a classic?

should an album stand the test of time before you can consider it a classic???

Illmatic was considered a classic BEFORE it came out. Writers had to listen to albums for a few days and write their review to turn it in before albums were released so it would make the monthly issue of the mag on the same month the album was going to drop. This is not a new album thing.

Illmatic was considered a classic BEFORE it came out. Writers had to listen to albums for a few days and write their review to turn it in before albums were released so it would make the monthly issue of the mag on the same month the album was going to drop. This is not a new album thing.

so writers have a few days to review and album and that makes it a classic?

how many other albums have they deemed a classic using this same criteria?

You JUST said albums weren't considered classics that quick back then, I'm correcting you by letting you know some of those albums were deemed classics BEFORE they were even released.

You JUST said albums weren't considered classics that quick back then, I'm correcting you by letting you know some of those albums were deemed classics BEFORE they were even released.

if we are using a magazine like the source as a credible opinion, in the first 10 years of their history, they had only given 15 albums initial 5 mic reviews

15 in ten years!!!

according to Kendrick's cult in here, every album he's released has been a classic

in comparison, these notable albums werent rated 5 mics until 2002

I took like 5 off

but somehow, Kendrick batting 1.000 with each release?

miss me with that

ya'll just prisoners of the moment...just own the shit

That's cool and all, but you're initial point is incorrect. You said that albums weren't deemed as classics that early and they were.

If kendrick is batting 1.000 is another discussion.

yea AP you moving the goal posts...

is your issue the album or the standard of a classic being named one so early?

That's cool and all, but you're initial point is incorrect. You said that albums weren't deemed as classics that early and they were.

If kendrick is batting 1.000 is another discussion.

NO....ya'll calling it a classic after two days of it being released

ya'll would be giving the source all kinds of shit if they said Illmatic was a classic and the shit sucked

again, being prisoners of the moment

yea AP you moving the goal posts...

is your issue the album or the standard of a classic being named one so early?

the latter

my bad, i thought i answered that

my point is, let the album be out for a while

if you rocking with it initially, then cool. If you have the same opinion 3 years from now, it might be a classic...10 years from now? there is no doubt

People are consuming music at a rate like never before. There is SOOOO much music out. If you playing this in heavy rotation among other new and old music, then ok...it might just be that good

If i have a choice be/t 400 degreez and a lot of these albums that come out today that people regard as classics, i'm picking 400 EVERYDAY b/c of its replay value and not a few songs on the album i kinda fuck with and can do w/o some other ones

NO....ya'll calling it a classic after two days of it being released

ya'll would be giving the source all kinds of shit if they said Illmatic was a classic and the shit sucked

again, being prisoners of the moment

What are you talking about?

You said that it wasn't done back in the day and it was. Illmatic was considered a classic before it even came out and is still considered a classic. So your point of it being too early is negated.

so
the latter

my bad, i thought i answered that

so to goldies point, do you disagree with the source naming albums 5 mics AS THEY WERE RELEASED????

i'm not talking about the ones they went back and changed.. i'm talked the ones that were ranked 5 mics originally?

so

so to goldies point, do you disagree with the source naming albums 5 mics AS THEY WERE RELEASED????

i'm not talking about the ones they went back and changed.. i'm talked the ones that were ranked 5 mics originally?

the music was consumed much differently than it is now

people used to get copies of the album a couple of weeks ahead of release schedule in order to give a review for a monthly publication

my point about the source was that in 10 years, out of the hundreds and hundreds of albums that were released, only 15 got an initial 5 mic rating. THAT was my point. They werent just going around calling shit classic albums after a weekend listen.

If you are going to use that as ammunition against my earlier points, then so be it. But I will say that i am a more conscious consumer of music at 34 vs when i was say 21. I am more careful of just throwing out the word classic around.

hell im even surprised MBTDF got 5 mics vs College Dropout, but thats another discussion for another day

I enjoy this album very much after 3 listens. Tbh, this is the first Kendrick album i like soon after hearing it. Section 80, GKMC, and TPAB were all sitting in my phone for months after the first listen, then i would re listen after some time and ended up loving them. Great work.

That Duckworth song though.. 9th Wonder went full on "Walk Like a Man" on that beat. Shit was fire.

I wonder why Kendrick and Dr. Dre barely make music together anymore. Dre aint produced shit since GKMC and Kendrick only had that one feature on Compton.

I wonder why Kendrick and Dr. Dre barely make music together anymore. Dre aint produced shit since GKMC and Kendrick only had that one feature on Compton.
Chemistry. Sometimes you just don't have that like a Rapsody/9th wonder or Royce da 5'9 and Premo

I don't even think it's that tho, cuz the songs they've done together have been fire, I just think Dre's head isn't into music anymore. He barely produced Compton and you know he didn't write shit.

Back