Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Jay Electronica "A Written Testimony" Album Thread

Rate "A Written Testimony"

• Total voters
and those bans were very wack
I tell you what, you let me know from this day forward the days you can take a joke vs when you can't

You acting like you were banned from the site. It was probably 3hrs, but you in here like it was the end of the world and tbh, I'm surprised you took it there

Here's my honest review of the shit, track by track:

Part 1
1) Overwhelming Event - We'll skip it. Hope that Farrakhan getting a check for this.

2) Ghost of Souja Slim - Shit goes HARD. Best overall track on the album. My only critique is that Jay E should've went first. "If it come from me and Hov, consider it Koran" starts it off right, and the "I came to bang with the scholars/and I betcha a Rothchild I get a bang for my dollar" lines ....DOPE. This is all the more reason why he should've came out first. If this is YOUR project, then the people should hear you before anyone else. Hov smokes this shit, too.

Was Hov needed? Hell yeah. He helps set this off right.

3) The Blinding - Their flows sync up very well on this song. Sounds a bit like a Styles P/Jada track, and the beat reminds me of "Onto the Next One."

Was Hov needed? YES. This track is music video worthy, and who better to sell it but Jay Z?

4) The Neverending Story - Loved the production here. Hated Jay E's disinterested voice, tho the cadence gets his bars out pretty good. "And I even have to wiggle my nose like Bewitched/I just upshift the six, convert the V-fort(?) to a broomstick". Also, the speed of this track is tailor made for a Lupe-esque muhfucker like Jay Elect.

Was Hov needed? Not really. Now should've been the point that Jay E began the heavy lifting on his album. The page turning should've began a 2nd verse from him.

5) Shiny Suit Theory - If this is from 2007 or whenever, it sounded like it. This was mastered very quickly, and has that mixtape feel. I never heard of this track, so it was a pretty nice surprise. Fux with the beat, as simple as it is. Jay E goes IN here.

Was Hov needed? Toss up. I'm gonna say no, just cause this track is old. Once again Hov outshines Jay E, and E should've stepped in and took control.

Last edited:
Part 2
6) Universal Soldier - Introspective track. Not gonna lie; this track gave me Lupe vibes the whole time. E goes into his super smart lyricist bag on this. DEFINITELY needed a 2nd verse from him on here.

Was Hov needed? No. I'd say E got him on this because this type of track isn't Hov's alley.

7) Flux Capacitor - YUCK. How did this track make the final cut? Or better yet, how did Hov's verse make it? He seemed rushed, and out of place here. Those NFL bars everyone in here's creaming came out was so fast and rushed, it was hard to even dicipher what he said. He could've said that statement on 'The Blinding.' E actually sounds more comfortable on here - minus the silly, phony Island accent bars. I also don't understand the Rhianna portion of the track on the end. Why all the dead air? Why didn't E do something wit it?

Was Hov needed? See above. NO. Hov should've sat that track out.

8) Fruits of the Spirit - FINALLY....a track without Hov. And the shit is one verse, and only 1:35 long. Figures. You lazy fucker. This is also one of those mixtape holdovers, or it least it sounded like it.

9) Ezekiel's Wheel - Honestly, this one will grow on me. I like the direction of this one. And Jay E lays it down with the Jackson bars and"it's the hour of chaos, the Black Steel is on me right now", that's dope; but that one bar where he's just mumbling.....LAZY. At least E gives a 2nd verse here, and the rhyme scheme is DOPE.

Was Hov needed? Why WAS he here? Just to do a hook? If I wasn't annoyed at hearing him this much on the tracks, by now, I'm actually angry.

10) A.P.I.D.T.A. - Cool way to end the album. Production is solid, and E sounds like he's at the last chapter of a journey. “The salt that heals my wounds pour out my eyes is like libations." Those type of bars are lyrical craftsmanship. THAT's what I think most of us wanted an album of.

Was Hov needed? On this one, no. Jay E should've once again took control, and guided this one down himself. Hov didn't offer much to this song. Why? What's the point of him being there?

My final thoughts: This album is actually great. What's holding it back from being potentially classic is that it's LAZY. This album is LAZY AS FUCK. That's my biggest gripe with this. If you had 10+ years to put something together, and you come out with an album that has you being crutched by one of the game's greatest artist, you should feel like you cheated yourself, and the game.

Jay Electricity is entitled. He damn near admits himself on Ezekiel's Wheel, "My debut album, featuring Hov/Man, this is highway robbery".

LAZY.

Having only had ONE song where he raps more than one verse in it - LAZY
Letting Hov appear five-to-six tracks too many - LAZY
Throwing on tracks 10+ years old - SUPER LAZY
Taking bars off, or letting tracks play for more than a minute with NO bars spoke - LAZY AS SHIT

As much as I wanna give this effort a 9 or 9.25/10, the sheer laziness of it has to have me knock it down to an 8/10.

Shame, really. I hope this shit sells terrible, just so he really gets motivated enough to do a real solo LP, because dude has serious potential to be great. He just needs to learn how to write songs, not just hot ass bars about Allah.

Personal Favorite Tracks: Ghost of Soulja Slim, Shiny Suit Theory, The Neverending Story

Last edited:
I tell you what, you let me know from this day forward the days you can take a joke vs when you can't

You acting like you were banned from the site. It was probably 3hrs, but you in here like it was the end of the world and tbh, I'm surprised you took it there

relax chief I’m not taking it that serious just because I called it wack. I just think you banned do because you were out of context. Thus making it wack

The funniest shit is sum of yall think your novice opinions hold jus as much weight as experts in the field lol

would you give a surgeon pointers on how to do surgery cuz you've seen a few seasons of Grey's anatomy?

this is silly. When artists make music to sell records they open themselves up to criticism. The opinion of their peers is cool but you making a product to be consumed. Are consumers supposed to give Lupe more respect than their own ears?

plus music is subjective as this thread has clearly pointed out

the only ppl im not taking hip hop advice from is da whites

Yall opinions don't count cuz you're not qualified!!!!
sc5LGnW.gif

Will you stop posting this geek

*Deep sigh* Did you really have to post this?

Satan on my ankles while im hangin' on to an angel
aint HATIN ON that you HATIN wrong
CAUSE YOU CAN'T HANG WITH MY ANGLES (A message for Goldie and the others of his ilk)
its hard being a lupe fan
go to harvard to be a lupe stan

I aint saying that im hard
its just harder when its in Lupes hands
Welcome nigga, Lupe land, SLR

Back