Welcome To aBlackWeb

it takes a village to raise a child?

I just said this in a thread a week or so ago...how people choose to raise their kids can have a direct impact on you and yours. So the mentality you talking about does nobody any good and is part of the problem now
If you're not raising yours right what am I going to do, it's nobody responsibility to raise your child but yours. I've never agreed with the village saying

The break down of a community eventually leads to a break down of society
I don’t pretend to know if that’s true or false, but shit changes.

There’s never been any 20 year period in history that has seen as much change as we have in the last 20 years. I think community is taking on a whole new meaning with the advent of the internet and social media. Now the community is decentralized and world wide. It’s as big or as small as you want to make it. Maybe community is no longer geographical at all.

To establish some context to this…

I think we all can agree that the children's “core values” come from home base.

the “village”comes into play when you surround yourself with people (or your close knit community) that share similar “core values” and assist home base in reinforcing those values…which does not have to be in the form of “discipline” as in punishment…just more of accountability.

but y'all can continue to go off about other folks raising your kids lol

I don’t pretend to know if that’s true or false, but shit changes.

There’s never been any 20 year period in history that has seen as much change as we have in the last 20 years. I think community is taking on a whole new meaning with the advent of the internet and social media. Now the community is decentralized and world wide. It’s as big or as small as you want to make it. Maybe community is no longer geographical at all.
Community doesn’t need to be centralized because we all travel and relocate.

but there is clear lines some have as far as community.
No matter where you are...,..they are still the same.

If you're not raising yours right what am I going to do, it's nobody responsibility to raise your child but yours. I've never agreed with the village saying

Raising of course...but the village concept was never about somebody else raising your kids. It was simply about if somebody you know saw your kid out in public acting a fool they could tell them stop without a parent coming to defend their child's bad behavior and telling that person to "not say shit to my child".

Excuse me, where did I say everybody? Point hat out to me please.

I said most. And yes most folks have more than just 1 parent. They have friends they trust or mother they trust.

What we doing here bruh
Didnt say that at all. Just interpreted what I guess what elzo was getting at but I could be wrong. Forget I mentioned it

If we talking village as in your local neighborhood then part of the change has been people simply don't know the people they live around as well as past generations did. Like my childhood friends have always and still call my dad "Dad" not Mr *insert our last name* and I call their parents the same because we all knew each other that well. My parents knew if I was at one of my friend's houses that there were rules in place same as in our house. People don't really have that same connection with their neighbors anymore
When you’re speaking about neighborhood wise, I agree. I also think people pick and choose who is in this village. Some may involve close neighbors, some may involve family, or a mix of the two.

your village isn’t necessarily who is surrounding the child but It’s who you choose to surround the child and who you choose to be a part of it. For example, my neighbors aren’t automatically a part of the village because I live next to them.

You got a problem me directing/coaching/correcting your child? Then gtf out here and do it yourself.

Back